Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-07-2010, 01:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550i
Tasman Green Exterior--Rarest Color?

Has anyone taken delivery, ordered, desired, seen in stock or on display Tasman Green exterior on an F10? What is your opinion? In prior posts no one has mentioned owning, ordering or wanting this color. Would like to see stats on colors and interiors priduced in Dingolfing and to which regions. In the U.S. Tasman Green may be quite rare while other countries may like it.
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2010, 04:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11 550i
That and Milano Beige seem to be the most rare followed by Cashmere Silver. Personally I really like the buttery silver color of Cashmere Beige.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 09-07-2010, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i, 2003 330i
I saw one at VOB BMW in Maryland a few weeks ago. It has since been sold. I like the color. Very understated. I don't think BMW makes many colors that someone would say are awful. This one surely wasn't awful. If YOU like it, that is all that matters.

Most people like the blacks and the grays. They look great. But everybody has those colors.

I just bought an F10 in Mojave Metallic. Picked it up last Friday. Different. I like it more every day.

Good luck.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i M-Sport
Crevier in Orange County has (or had) a 5 series in Tasman. I think it it a really beautiful color. I have a friend with a 335 in Tasman with Oyster interior. This is a really nice combo. Tasman is not as green in real life as it is in the various photos. In the sun and shade, it is a silvery grey/green with minty overtones. Under artificial light and in photographs the green highlights become more prominent. I considered getting this color, but it is not available with M-Sport.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Tasman Green 535i

I took delivery of a Tasman Green F10 (oyster/black interior) in July and point-and-shoot pictures are attached. My wife and I really like the color combination and apparently this color is becoming increasingly popular in Europe. Being of British origin I grew up with British Racing Green and I think it makes a nice change from the grey, silver, black and white variations that are more common on the roads.
Incidentally, it rained continuously for 3 days after pick-up in Munich but the car performed flawlessly and everything worked well. I do not have IAS and the steering seemed fine to me, with no pulling to the right. The nav system with HUD is superb and really helped when we were diverted during a storm in the Black Forest due to a road closure. We averaged 25mpg over our 4 day trip but I drove relatively conservatively since the roads were wet and I limited the top speed on the autobahn to 100mph. The car is currently at the prep center and we are looking forward to taking delivery in Monterey.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Welt Delivery.JPG
Views:	1333
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	245068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Austrian Tyrol.JPG
Views:	1037
Size:	398.0 KB
ID:	245069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Forest.JPG
Views:	1394
Size:	378.4 KB
ID:	245070  
Old 09-07-2010, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
I like the Tasman Green color. I guess it's more of a green/gray. I also think it's a better looking color than the traditional deep green. It is more of a modern green color. I also like the mineral green color on the X5, which unfortunately has been discontinued.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ronsell
Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Tasman Green is an interesting color. I do wish BMW would add a few more exterior colors, though.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
I do like this color on the F10. However, it's kinda like pizza. Most people are gonna go for the basics, cheese, or pepperoni with mushroom. The green is kinda like a Hawaiian, pineapple and ham, tasty for sure, but not for everyone. Purists will balk and the aftermarket may not be as easy to shift as say the basic blacks or whites, but ultimately if YOU like it, that's all that matters.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:12 PM

Tasman Green and Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
I do like this color on the F10. However, it's kinda like pizza. Most people are gonna go for the basics, cheese, or pepperoni with mushroom. The green is kinda like a Hawaiian, pineapple and ham, tasty for sure, but not for everyone. Purists will balk and the aftermarket may not be as easy to shift as say the basic blacks or whites, but ultimately if YOU like it, that's all that matters.
TJPark, you must be psychic, since my favorite pizza (honestly) is Hawaiian, with pineapple and ham! Now I know why I was drawn to Tasman Green. As you say, the only thing that matters is whether YOU like it, and I happen to like it a lot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hawaiian Pizza F10.JPG
Views:	1354
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	245126  
Old 09-07-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJSI View Post
TJPark, you must be psychic, since my favorite pizza (honestly) is Hawaiian, with pineapple and ham! Now I know why I was drawn to Tasman Green. As you say, the only thing that matters is whether YOU like it, and I happen to like it a lot.
It's probably more fitting in Monterey, then say Miami or LA. I think it looks great in those pictures with the scenery. What color is the interior?
Old 09-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Tasman Green is underrated; I've seen it on various BMWs in dealerships and it looks great. It's subdued (so people don't go "Ew that's a green car!") but has a nice light green tone that differentiates it from the sea of grays, silvers, and blacks.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
That color looks great. I love green cars. The color is definitely unique - I think more than half of the BMWs out there are some shade of grey.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post
That color looks great. I love green cars. The color is definitely unique - I think more than half of the BMWs out there are some shade of grey.
There's a reason for this. There are only a handful of colors that don't make a car look silly. Red for example only works on small cars,coupes or sports cars. A red 5 series would look a bit odd. Even when I see a car that can pull off something like yellow. I still think to myself, "Oh look that guy bought a Mucielago, in banana."
Old 09-07-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
It's probably more fitting in Monterey, then say Miami or LA. I think it looks great in those pictures with the scenery. What color is the interior?
The interior is oyster/black dakota and it seems to complement the Tasman Green very well. I left the interior color choice to my wife since I've learnt from past experience, after 37 years of marriage, to never argue with my wife over colors! I thought about ordering the anthracite headliner but I balked at paying extra for it since it's standard on my wife's VW GTI which I purchased for considerably less than half the cost of the F10. I do resent paying extra for leather, i-pod connectivity, anthracite headliner etc. I also noticed when driving in the rain in Europe that the F10 does not have the very effective articulated windscreen wiper mechanism that I had on my previous 540i and 745i and I attribute this to cost-cutting. I spoke with a senior executive friend at BMW when I picked up the car at the Welt and indicated that I am a longtime BMW fan and chose the F10 over the Mercedes and Audi competition but I do think that BMW is nickel-and-diming its customers by charging extra for many options that are becoming standard on lesser vehicles. There's also a problem when the combination of options becomes so complicated that the BMW dealership has a problem explaining it to the customer. This was certainly true during the F10 introduction and I would have been considerably less informed about the car were it not for the discussions here in the Bimmerfest forum.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:
There's a reason for this. There are only a handful of colors that don't make a car look silly. Red for example only works on small cars,coupes or sports cars. A red 5 series would look a bit odd. Even when I see a car that can pull off something like yellow. I still think to myself, "Oh look that guy bought a Mucielago, in banana."
That is funny that you mentioned red... I love the burgundy metallic that BMW has (Barbera Red) and if I had custom ordered my E60, it would have been in that color.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post
That is funny that you mentioned red... I love the burgundy metallic that BMW has (Barbera Red) and if I had custom ordered my E60, it would have been in that color.
Burgundy does work in large sedans. I like that with the Venetian Beige interiors. But straight red looks misplaced unless you're rocking an M3 or equivalent.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: MB
I am actually considering the Tasman Green as my top choice color for the F10 550i.

In San Diego, it is very rare to see the F10 550i. In fact, I have not seen it in person outside of the BMW car dealership.

Now combine the 550i with the Tasman Green color, it would be like I was driving a Ferrari F430 in San Diego.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:42 PM

GJSI,

Could you post more picture of your car? I love the Tashman Green color.

Can you also take pictures of the interior? I am trying to decide what is the best interior color that go with the Tasman Green.

Thanks.

Last edited by CarBrain; 09-08-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:55 PM

More on Tasman Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBrain View Post
GJSI,

Could you post more picture of your car? I love the Tashman Green color.

Can you also take pictures of the interior? I am trying to decide what is the best interior color that go with the Tasman Green.

Thanks.
My car was supposed to be delivered from the prep center yesterday but it apparently missed the truck and now won't be arriving until next week. Unfortunately, due to my travel schedule, I won't be able to pick up the car for another 2 weeks. My dealer doesn't seem to mind holding the car for me as he says there's a lot of interest in seeing a Tasman Green F10.
Meanwhile, attached are more pictures taken on our ED trip but bear in mind that the car was quite dirty after 2 days of heavy rain. I'll post some better pictures after I get the car in my possession. The interior is Oyster/Black Dakota with Dark Wood. Oyster seems to tone very well with Tasman Green. I think an Anthracite headliner and Anthracite trim would also look good.
TJPark has made some interesting observations on the subject of color in his earlier comments in this thread. As he indicated, different colors suit different cars and different environments. The demographics of the owner also play a role. I am in my sixties but still enjoy driving. I have had several silver and white BMW's in the past and thought the colors looked great but I felt like a change. I almost went with another color (which I will not mention) but felt that too many people were ordering it. I only looked seriously at Tasman Green after someone posted that it was an awful color for a BMW. Admittedly it doesn't look good on the BMW configurator as the color is hard to reproduce on a computer monitor. A better indication of the color is shown in the attached picture of the Tasman Green painted sphere taken at the BMW Welt. To my eyes, Tasman Green seems to highlight the contours of the F10 better than many other colors and it also makes the car appear smaller than it really is. It's an elegant, understated color and blends in well with the surroundings. You're also unlikely to see a similar one parked in the same carpark! These are qualities that appeal to me but color is a subjective and personal thing. The great yacht designer Nathanael Herreshof is reputed to have said that there are only 2 colors for a yacht hull - white and black - and then added that only a fool would choose black! I'm having a boat built right now and I have chosen a Grey hull so I don't know what he'd make of that choice! In the end choose what YOU like and don't be afraid to be different. It's what makes life interesting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010246.JPG
Views:	508
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	245474   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02642.JPG
Views:	938
Size:	393.8 KB
ID:	245475   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02643.JPG
Views:	501
Size:	366.2 KB
ID:	245476   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02644.JPG
Views:	688
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	245477  
Old 09-11-2010, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi
I really, really like that color. I drive a jet black and with the little nicks I'm definitely thinking about changing things up next time around.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:27 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Sometimes there is another reason why a color is "rare"....Tasman, for me, is too similar to the previous light green color on the 3 series, mostly chosen by blond women paired with the beige or oyster interior, per my sales person.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 09-11-2010, 01:00 PM
N54

Mein Auto: E60 535i M-sport
Quote:
Burgundy does work in large sedans. I like that with the Venetian Beige interiors. But straight red looks misplaced unless you're rocking an M3 or equivalent.
x2
Old 09-11-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Sometimes there is another reason why a color is "rare"....Tasman, for me, is too similar to the previous light green color on the 3 series, mostly chosen by blond women paired with the beige or oyster interior, per my sales person.
My wife is a brunette and I also have black hair. I think we would feel just fine driving a Tasman Green F10 550i
Old 09-11-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
We almost decided not to buy the new 2011 535i because the Maroon color was not available. We've had three in a row 5's with Burgundy/Maroon + tan leather and really loved them. Grey, grey, grey, silver, grey, black ... pretty bland, if classic.

m.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:15 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdspadeccom View Post
Grey, grey, grey, silver, grey, black ... pretty bland, if classic.
Yeah, I kind of know what you mean. I'm on my 3rd Black Sapphire BMW. I just couldn't decide what other color -- the problem is, so many look good. Yesterday I saw a Deep Sea Blue 528i at my dealer, it was actually beautiful as well. I had seen a 328i in that color and thought it might be too vivid, but it looked great on the 5. Decisions, decisions...

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm