Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 06-18-2014, 12:35 PM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Mein Auto: Duh!
Question How did you meet your spouse / significant other?

As the title indicates, how did you meet your spouse or significant other?

Do you have a good story to tell? Was it love at first sight or did they grow on you over time?

For me #1 was a pizza restaurant. Ironic because I do not love pizza It was love at first sight. I fell head over heels for him and followed him thousands of miles from my friends and family. He was a great guy and I learned so much from him. #2 grew over time. Met him at a party through a mutual friend who introduced us (my boyfriend at the time). All 3 of us are still friends (if Facebook counts for one of them).

Perhaps while I am waxing poetic (ok, not really) we could ponder the question; do you think you're meant to be with one person for the rest of your life or are you better suited to a series of relationships that shape you into the person you are today?
Ads by Google
Old 06-18-2014, 01:06 PM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: 2015 VW GTI Autobahn
3D printer.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:16 PM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul335i View Post
3D printer.
Could you elaborate?
Old 06-18-2014, 01:29 PM
Displaced Charger Fan

Mein Auto: 330Ci Convertible
OK, I'll play.

first wife; met in college through mutual friends. Got to be friends over the next couple years, then, when we were both single at the same time, started dating. Was married 14 years to that one.

current wife; met at a bar. No joke. I was out for a buddy's birthday and playing wingman for another friend. She must've thought I was lonely (I was drunk and talking to whoever came up to the rail to order a drink, as I had done too good of a job as wingman and was now excluded from the conversation), and she started chatting me up. Went out the next week and haven't looked back. That was over 4.5 years ago, and we've now been married about 6 months

As for your last question, there's no clear answer. You spend enough time with someone, and you'll either grow together, or grow apart. If you grow together, I think you're set for life. If you grow apart, well, it's kinda obvious what happens then, isn't it?

Iím usually a ninja, but my Spidey-senses told me he was going to take a fall, so I saved his life. - Martellus Bennett
Old 06-18-2014, 01:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
My wife was the girl next door. The married girl next door to be exact. I did not break up their marriage in any way, having exchanged very few words with either her or her husband as next door neighbours. They were simply never around, being away at their cottage 52 weekends per year. Suddenly, she started to be around all the time, as their marriage had ended with him gone.

We started hanging around and got to know each other and enjoy each other's company, becoming friends. (I recall being hit with the realization that my girlfriends up to this point were not friends per say.) We would come home from work, getting some kind of a workout in, then sit around and chat for hours. I remember an evening when we ordered a large pizza. We were matching each other piece for piece. There were two pieces remaining. I said that I was done and she ate the remaining two pieces. I joke to this day that this was a turning point. (By the way, we were both fit and very thin.)

Later we became closer friends... Then married, had offspring. Been happily married for many years.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:02 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3lissa View Post
Could you elaborate?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=778212
Old 06-18-2014, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: 740iL
at a hospital where she worked as a nurse. I was going there to interview a person for his job application. He happened to be having a surgery at that hospital. While I waited this lovely nurse came by and offered me coffee. Then later she sat down next to me and we started talking and talking and forgot about the interview. We have been married for 18 years now.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:34 AM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Great stories guys!
Old 06-19-2014, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
We share the same Buddhist religion and I started noticing her at our local Buddhist community center. Through a mutual friend, I got her number, called and asked her out. We hit it off right away and couldn't see enough of each other. Today is our 10 year anniversary by the way but she is out of town on business returning tonight. We have a lovely little family including an almost 4 year old toddler and a great life together.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:08 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
Quote:
As the title indicates, how did you meet your spouse or significant other?

Do you have a good story to tell? Was it love at first sight or did they grow on you over time?

For me #1 was a pizza restaurant. Ironic because I do not love pizza It was love at first sight. I fell head over heels for him and followed him thousands of miles from my friends and family. He was a great guy and I learned so much from him. #2 grew over time. Met him at a party through a mutual friend who introduced us (my boyfriend at the time). All 3 of us are still friends (if Facebook counts for one of them).

Perhaps while I am waxing poetic (ok, not really) we could ponder the question; do you think you're meant to be with one person for the rest of your life or are you better suited to a series of relationships that shape you into the person you are today?
What do you mean you followed him for thousands of miles? I took it as literal after you had some pizza

I don't believe in "mean-to-be's". We are the boss of our destiny (if I'm using the right word since I don't believe in destiny nor pre-ordainment) and we map out our future everyday with the choices we make. And while there are quite a few things I can think of that made me the person I am today through both the good and bad choices I've made in the past and external forces beyond my control, I don't think the relationships I've had shaped me into the person I am today.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:09 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
We share the same Buddhist religion and I started noticing her at our local Buddhist community center. Through a mutual friend, I got her number, called and asked her out. We hit it off right away and couldn't see enough of each other. Today is our 10 year anniversary by the way but she is out of town on business returning tonight. We have a lovely little family including an almost 4 year old toddler and a great life together.

Happy Anniversary
Old 06-19-2014, 09:12 AM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
online almost 2 years ago. getting married this year.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:42 AM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW View Post
Congrats! Was it a dating site or some other online source?
Old 06-19-2014, 11:39 AM
lurking

Quote:
Congrats! Was it a dating site or some other online source?
thanks dating
Old 06-19-2014, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
First husband: at a Halloween party when he was in state visiting friends and family. (He moved to a different state for grad school and just stayed...) not love at first sight. Really we probably shouldn't have gotten married, but it was a good learning experience - taught me to live w someone for a while before getting hitched.

Husband two: eharmony funny. We both work in the same industry, though different jobs, our dogs went to the same doggie daycare, and lived only 2 miles from each other! We must have crossed paths a hundred times before we connected online. Not love at first sight, but after the second date we were inseparable. Second date almost didn't happen, but a girlfriend of mine "had a good feeling about this one."

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-19-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Yah. Congrats.

Old 06-19-2014, 04:59 PM
lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinSand View Post
Yah. Congrats.

a new dog comes as part of the deal too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2977.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	446857   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4156.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	446858  
Old 06-19-2014, 05:20 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
I have two stories that would just take so long to tell because it is all in the little details. But aside from that, I was able to put 3 couples together that lead to marriage.

One story of being a match maker:

We all went to a seminar in NYC for a few days and when it ended a group of maybe 20 of us decided to go celebrate at a restaurant for drinks and dinner.

It was a long table. A good friend of mine was sitting about 3-4 chairs to my side, and this girl that I knew only from the conference was sitting 2 chairs to my other side. I was talking with everybody around me and the girl had the hots for me and was trying to get me to give her a ride home to Brooklyn, which was only a few blocks away from me. I said OK and could already envision the hot night we'd spend....

Anyway, we were all starting to leave, getting up, chatting the last chats and it took forever to get out. These two already left out (never talked to each other, unaware of each other). when I stepped out they both where leaning on my car opposite corners, but there were also some 10 people mingling around so it's not that they even noticed each other.

I walked closer and they both started coming toward me. He was just waiting to say goodnight and leave in his own car, and she was waiting for me.

I came, and they both started talking to me. I just gazed at them and it just downed on me. "These two belong together". It was that clear to me. Like a truth engulfing me. She is saying "so, are we going?" and he says "OK, see you tomorrow", and I am just looking at them quietly.

".... Mat...???" ... Like, "are you even here??"

Almost like giving them orders I pointed at her. "You! Go with him!" Pointing at him I said "You! Take her home!"

They looked at me confused. Looked at each other. Back at me.. "what?..."

"You! Go with him!".
"You! Take her home".
Pointing with my finger back and forth at them.

A little amused the go.. "OK...." "Hi, I am ..."

I turned and walked away.

They got married a few months after.

Lasted 4-5 years, but they stayed friends for a long time and after divorcing both found their second spouses not long after.

Last edited by MatWiz; 06-19-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Www.match.com

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
a new dog comes as part of the deal too
Oh my goodness. How precious!!!!!

Old 06-19-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
I didn't care for match, but eHarmony was a winner.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:44 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Spike Holmes
Mein Auto: 525i, G35
The cousin of one of my roommates in college came over to see her cuz. We were both pretty interested but, already seeing other people. Plus one of our other roomies told me Kyle would kill me if I asked his cousin out.
Six months later she came by needing help with her bra. (For her car - I love telling that part of the story) I found out she had a lunch date that afternoon. I caused her to miss it (Oops). Eight months later after lots of ups and downs and a few misfires, we were married.
This October will make 27 years. We have been empty nesters for about five years now so, she travels with me on my assignments. (We've slept in our own bed at home in TX maybe 10 times in the last 5 years) Even after 27+ years I stiil get excited at the thought of going home to her at the end of each day.
I know it sounds pretty cheesey but, I'm still really smitten.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:11 AM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinSand View Post
First husband: at a Halloween party when he was in state visiting friends and family. (He moved to a different state for grad school and just stayed...) not love at first sight. Really we probably shouldn't have gotten married, but it was a good learning experience - taught me to live w someone for a while before getting hitched.

Husband two: eharmony funny. We both work in the same industry, though different jobs, our dogs went to the same doggie daycare, and lived only 2 miles from each other! We must have crossed paths a hundred times before we connected online. Not love at first sight, but after the second date we were inseparable. Second date almost didn't happen, but a girlfriend of mine "had a good feeling about this one."
Thanks for sharing that. After the first meeting with your current husband did you not want to see him again and your friend pushed you?
Old 06-20-2014, 06:12 AM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Holmes View Post
The cousin of one of my roommates in college came over to see her cuz. We were both pretty interested but, already seeing other people. Plus one of our other roomies told me Kyle would kill me if I asked his cousin out.
Six months later she came by needing help with her bra. (For her car - I love telling that part of the story) I found out she had a lunch date that afternoon. I caused her to miss it (Oops). Eight months later after lots of ups and downs and a few misfires, we were married.
This October will make 27 years. We have been empty nesters for about five years now so, she travels with me on my assignments. (We've slept in our own bed at home in TX maybe 10 times in the last 5 years) Even after 27+ years I stiil get excited at the thought of going home to her at the end of each day.
I know it sounds pretty cheesey but, I'm still really smitten.
Not cheesy - it's perhaps what many of us want
Old 06-20-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing that. After the first meeting with your current husband did you not want to see him again and your friend pushed you?
I just thought he was too quiet. I couldn't hear him well in the restaurant. I assumed quiet meant boring. We had a lot in common though.

My friend didn't push me. She just gets these vibes and they typically pan out. She said she had a good feeling about him. I was unsure. ...after the second date we were inseparable. Engaged after like 7months, married within a year.