Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 10-25-2014, 07:58 AM
Grumpy and Cynical

Send a message via MSN to ed325i Send a message via Yahoo to ed325i
Mein Auto: 328Xi
Oneplus One smartphone

http://oneplus.net/one

http://www.engadget.com/products/oneplus/one/

Does anyone here have one? Seems to a really good deal.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:09 AM
Leave no one behind

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Conv (E93)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed325i View Post
http://oneplus.net/one

http://www.engadget.com/products/oneplus/one/

Does anyone here have one? Seems to a really good deal.
I've got one. It's an amazing phone!

Here it is compared to an iPhone 6+ at ATT the day I went in to get a sim card for my OPO.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:01 AM
Grumpy and Cynical

Oneplus One smartphone

How are you finding the call quality and indoors photo taking quality?

I am hoping that it is at least as good as my iPhone 5, but with better battery life.

Thanks.

Last edited by ed325i; 10-25-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:08 PM
Leave no one behind

Quote:
How are you finding the call quality and indoors photo taking quality?

I am hoping that it is at least as good as my iPhone 5, but with better battery life.

Thanks.
The call quality is good. I find it to be clearer than the Droid DNA it replaces.
I still suck at photography, but here is one that I shot as an experiment:
Old 10-25-2014, 02:15 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
If my current phone dies (Moto X that replaced a Nexus 5), I will certainly go this route as a replacement.

I was appalled at the ludicrous price Google now charges for their Nexus phone. What the blazes? They went from a decent option to priced as stupidly as Apple/Samsung, etc.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:16 PM
Grumpy and Cynical

Nice. Shot in a darkish dining room?
Old 10-25-2014, 02:19 PM
Leave no one behind

Quote:
Nice. Shot in a darkish dining room?
Yes, just one tiny bulb lit off to the side.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:11 PM
Grumpy and Cynical

Thanks. OPO will be available for ordering at 11AM on Monday for an hour. I will try to get one.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
If my current phone dies (Moto X that replaced a Nexus 5), I will certainly go this route as a replacement.

I was appalled at the ludicrous price Google now charges for their Nexus phone. What the blazes? They went from a decent option to priced as stupidly as Apple/Samsung, etc.

The Nexus 6 is very nice spec wise but the size and price is a turn off. Compared to others it is still cheap but the fact that the battery is not user replaceable and it being too big for one handed used may make me pass on it. Size wise the Samsung Note 4 offers better features than the Nexus 6.

I am looking forward to the new Droid Turbo from Motorola.

I recently bought the new iPhone 6 and coming from an Android/Google OS I found the Apple Smartphone to not be so much of a smartphone but a rather dumb phone. Two immediate turn offs on the iPhone 6 were the facts that in the call log history it pretty much only goes back about 1 week which is very pathetic for a supposed "Smartphone" that costs $800+ and second is the fact that when driving or doing something else when you wish to call say "Steven", having entered the first 2-3 letters of Steven on the dial keyboard brings up absolutely nothing!!! Dialing the first few numbers also brings up absolutely nothing!! Only when you have completely dialed the full number does it tell you that have called Steven up, WTF?? A smartphone?? More like a dumb phone to me! With a Google based OS as you dial the OS checks both letters and numbers for possible matching letters or numbers of a person you are trying to call so within a few numbers or letters the name of the person or company you are trying to reach will have come up.

With the call log feature I find Apple very stingy with RAM memory. How many KB's of RAM does a smartphone actually require which uses a state of the art processor to remember the last 3-6 months of call logs?? 10 years ago Motorola and Nokia phones had capabilities to remember 2-3 months of call logs. For a state of the art mobile phone which today is called a smartphone unable to perform any of these 2 functions is horrible especially for businessmen that buy these smartphones. For these 2 categories Blackberry and Google Smartphones have the edge over Apple.
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 10-27-2014, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: X5
5.5 in. screen? Isn't ~1 inch too big for usable phone?
Old 10-27-2014, 10:02 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
The Nexus 6 is very nice spec wise but the size and price is a turn off. Compared to others it is still cheap but the fact that the battery is not user replaceable and it being too big for one handed used may make me pass on it. Size wise the Samsung Note 4 offers better features than the Nexus 6.

I am looking forward to the new Droid Turbo from Motorola.

I recently bought the new iPhone 6 and coming from an Android/Google OS I found the Apple Smartphone to not be so much of a smartphone but a rather dumb phone. Two immediate turn offs on the iPhone 6 were the facts that in the call log history it pretty much only goes back about 1 week which is very pathetic for a supposed "Smartphone" that costs $800+ and second is the fact that when driving or doing something else when you wish to call say "Steven", having entered the first 2-3 letters of Steven on the dial keyboard brings up absolutely nothing!!! Dialing the first few numbers also brings up absolutely nothing!! Only when you have completely dialed the full number does it tell you that have called Steven up, WTF?? A smartphone?? More like a dumb phone to me! With a Google based OS as you dial the OS checks both letters and numbers for possible matching letters or numbers of a person you are trying to call so within a few numbers or letters the name of the person or company you are trying to reach will have come up.

With the call log feature I find Apple very stingy with RAM memory. How many KB's of RAM does a smartphone actually require which uses a state of the art processor to remember the last 3-6 months of call logs?? 10 years ago Motorola and Nokia phones had capabilities to remember 2-3 months of call logs. For a state of the art mobile phone which today is called a smartphone unable to perform any of these 2 functions is horrible especially for businessmen that buy these smartphones. For these 2 categories Blackberry and Google Smartphones have the edge over Apple.
Why wouldn't you use siri (I assume it works in the car)? Dunno, as my Moto X responds whenever I speak to it so I never really touch my phone to make a call. Best feature on the Moto has to be the always listening...
Old 10-27-2014, 10:17 AM
Leave no one behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
5.5 in. screen? Isn't ~1 inch too big for usable phone?
I don't find the One Plus One as a problem to handle. Probably because I had a 5" HTC Droid DNA before this.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:36 PM
Grumpy and Cynical

Having held both a coworker's OPO and an iPhone 6 Plus, I can state that the OPO is easier to handle.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:42 PM
Grumpy and Cynical

OPO's was understandably busy today. Got my pre-order in. Ships in 4 to 6 weeks.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:47 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb67 View Post
I don't find the One Plus One as a problem to handle. Probably because I had a 5" HTC Droid DNA before this.
I have the Note 4 and can easily handle it with one hand. I feel the 5.3" - 5.7" sizes to be perfect.