Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 07-24-2014, 01:09 PM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Smartphone keyboard apps

Anybody find one they like? I'm not merging well with the touch to place cursor. Giving me grief. Won't go where I want, sometimes won't move at all and too easy to touch something else, throwing me further off speed.

I did a search and the Swiftkey sounded good - installed it but where are the cursor arrows as alleged? Sideways screen didn't have it either.

Installed the 'Hacker's Keyboard' and it has more promise. Four cursor arrow keys appear in sideways mode, but, impossible-to-please me can barely see the cursor, and this in a not bright room. Outside it'll be impossible to see. Also when you press the microphone icon you get a two step screen process to allow it to work.

I'm amazed that this doesn't have a better solution by now. Search indicates that many people have problems with the magic touch cursor.

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. – anon
Ads by Google
Old 07-26-2014, 12:26 AM
Renaissance Dude

Oops, a guy on another forum pointed out that you can add the cursor arrows to the stock keyboard in Settings/Keyboard. And he was right. Works better than the two apps I added.

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. – anon
Old 07-26-2014, 07:25 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Zoom-in (stretch with two fingers) helps with placing the cursor. Also, I use Google Keyboard (it's a swype type). After getting used to swyping it's hard to get back to typing because it is so much faster and with less mistakes. Try to give it a chance.

But instead of trying to place the cursor in the middle of a word, I found it is faster to delete the whole word and swype again.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:11 AM
Renaissance Dude

I often just type the whole word again myself. Get the cursor close enough and go for it.

Proving once again that there's no pleasing me, the stock keyboard with arrows enabled still has an annoyance - the cursor won't move quickly when you hold the keys down. Have to tap for each space moved. Oh well.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:30 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
SwiftKey has swiping too. IMO just a better keyboard than than all others.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:58 AM
Renaissance Dude

Oh man, no rest for the wicked. I managed to find the cursor arrow keys option right in the Android system - it worked pretty well but I had other problems with their keyboard. Hard to see the symbols in lighter shade at the top of each key. Almost impossible except indoors.

I was leaning towards swapping for an iPhone on the refund plan, especially after I read that cursor arrow apps were available for it. So I made the jump yesterday only to find out that, yes, you can download such an app, you just can't use it for anything (?!?). I downloaded 'Arrow Note' for free - it works great, a good bit more appealing than the Android keyboard on my previous HTC but it only works on it's own little app page. Perhaps I can cut and paste whatever I perform on that page and take it to other pages, not sure, it also has an improved cut and paste feature, but that seems rather cumbersome.

Strange stuff. I did read on this site that there is concern that optional keyboard apps that could be switched to default might enable keystroke theft, or keylogging. Who knows. A PITA at any rate.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...d-default-apps

Last edited by cmac2012; 07-30-2014 at 06:11 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i M-sport Coupe
Swiftkey FTW! It is the only app I have ever paid for. So far.
The keyboard is slick, AND it's slightly larger than my Samsung S3, Samsung Tab 2 7.0, and my Galaxy Note 2 standard keyboards, but noticeable to me. My error rate is significantly less using Swiftkey.
PCD - December 16, 2009

Old 07-30-2014, 09:50 AM
Renaissance Dude

Does the Swiftkey you have include cursor arrow keys? I downloaded a free version on my HTC that did not have them. This is spite of reading online that it did.

It's weird. I like the iPhone keyboard better than the stock Android in most ways but it has limitations. People have been complaining about no cursor arrows for quite a while, search reveals. Not sure when Apple is going to allow it to happen.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i M-sport Coupe
I just went to my settings to make sure. It does indeed have cursor arrow keys as an option. It's on my keyboard now.
It may only be on the pay version.
PCD - December 16, 2009

Old 07-30-2014, 11:12 AM
Renaissance Dude

I think you're probably right. My take now is that it won't help me as Apple only allows the stock keyboard. To be fair, the 'touch-to-place' cursor on it seems to be more user friendly than what I had on my brief ownership of the HTC. Unfortunately, reality does not allow me to merge the best points of each into one phone. Supposedly people are out there doing that as we speak.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:55 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
OK, just kidding, or, maybe not...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8284-IMG4971s.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	455590  

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:32 AM
Renaissance Dude

Well yeah, it's never going to be that good. But I'm telling you, Android and Apple each have good features that the other does not. If I could jazz up the Arrow Note app on the iphone with some of the better features of what I experienced with Android, would be a much easier keyboard to use. But as it is I can't even use that keyboard on my iphone though if I click on the app, I can play with it in quarantine from the system.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:37 PM
Renaissance Dude

Ding, ding, ding!! This just in: my tech client who is longtime Apple devotee tells me that ios8, coming out this fall, will allow incorporation of after-market keyboards. And that I will be able to easily download that operating system at no charge. I sorta figured the latter would be true, glad to hear it confirmed.