Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 03-16-2015, 06:06 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
LinkedIn Account

Help. What's with LinkedIn? I never thought I would become a member, but a while back I did. I created a somewhat of a comical profile, like being a NASA rocket scientist, etc... As the result, I got all kinds of networking requests. I ignored all of them, but the requests continue to come, like an obnoxious salesman who doesn't stop his pitch. Yes, I do know some of them are friends and acquaintances. I do not know if members continue to make the networking requests or if LinkedIn does this automatically. To make a long story short, I deleted the account because I could not see any need to network with anyone. I enjoy my total personal freedom so long as I live. I confirmed the delete by trying to sign in, without success (good).

What is frustrating is that after deleting my LinkedIn account I still get these networking requests from the same people via emails even though my LinkedIn account is deleted.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 03-16-2015 at 06:21 AM.
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2015, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
I've never had a LinkedIn account and I still get requests all the time. And they keep hounding me that so-and-so is waiting for my reply.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
can't you setup a rule in your email program to push all linkedin emails to the trash?
Old 03-16-2015, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: F80 M3, F10 535i
I've got all of them going to my junk email folder. I've got to say I don't really get LinkedIn. I thought it was networking for business opportunities but, pretty much everyone in my industry treats it as Facebook 2.0. On second thought maybe I'm not the one who doesn't get it.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: A car
also - the emails should have an opt-out at the bottom...
Old 03-16-2015, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535ix
I don't get LinkedIn spam.
My profile there is for job hunting, and I do get a lot of requests - but they are all from recruiters, and expected. Haven't seen anything that isn't. Ironically, I'm not looking for a job, and haven't been for a few years - but you never know when you'd need it so I keep things as they are. Aparently the fact that I didn't update my resume for 5 years doesn't deter recruiters
Old 03-16-2015, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 435i Gran Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_o_p View Post
My profile there is for job hunting, and I do get a lot of requests - but they are all from recruiters, and expected. Haven't seen anything that isn't. Ironically, I'm not looking for a job, and haven't been for a few years - but you never know when you'd need it so I keep things as they are. Aparently the fact that I didn't update my resume for 5 years doesn't deter recruiters
+1

I solely use LinkedIn simply to keep an up to date career profile on social media. I've networked with a few past colleagues, but ignore all the recruiters. If I'm looking for a job, I'll perform my due diligence and come to you.

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i (retired)
2010 Lexus RX350 AWD (hers)
Old 03-17-2015, 05:19 AM

Mein Auto: '03 530i 5-speed, SP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dreamer View Post
I've never had a LinkedIn account and I still get requests all the time. And they keep hounding me that so-and-so is waiting for my reply.
The same thing happens to me. It is annoying.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
'03 530i 5-speed, Sport & Premium Pkgs
Old 03-17-2015, 05:59 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
I've used LinkedIn for about 10 years since I started looking for a new job at the time. Then, it truly was just a connection/networking tool that mostly tech geeks used. I made the commitment then that I would not accept requests from people unless I had met and worked with in person. I had to refine that once I started seeing Fortune 10, 50 and 100 customers every week: I didn't want to network with people unless we'd worked together for more than a few days and for the same employer.

I have always kept my profile and my contacts private. I suspect that this has been the key to the low levels of LinkedIn SPAM. If I do get a contact request, it's a contact of a friend. I don't respond if I don't know them.

I find it a useful tool to connect with potential bosses. When I speak to a leader for a new role- which I do often for a number of reasons- I like to find and connect with them. It tells me something about them after they already have my information. You can find lots of conversation enhancers- like where they went to school, what they studied, and even a role that is not consistent with their current one. People love talking ab themselves. (As evidenced here) I find this gives them the chance to talk ab themselves when they're supposed to be learning about me.

My brother always told me: Let someone talk about themselves for an hour and you'll be the smartest guy they talked to that day.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:49 AM
Displaced Charger Fan

Mein Auto: 330Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_o_p View Post
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
My brother always told me: Let someone talk about themselves for an hour and you'll be the smartest guy they talked to that day.
That's awesome - I think I'll need to "borrow" that

I’m usually a ninja, but my Spidey-senses told me he was going to take a fall, so I saved his life. - Martellus Bennett
Old 03-17-2015, 01:20 PM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
Dave, maybe you can call their customer support and have them stop emails or change the email on the account to f.off@bite.me or something like that

Grammar: The difference between "knowing your sh*t" and "knowing you're sh*t."
"A world that is 'idiot proof' is a world that is only fit for idiots." - Racer X / 6'er
Old 03-17-2015, 02:14 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
I've used LinkedIn for about 10 years since I started looking for a new job at the time. Then, it truly was just a connection/networking tool that mostly tech geeks used. I made the commitment then that I would not accept requests from people unless I had met and worked with in person. I had to refine that once I started seeing Fortune 10, 50 and 100 customers every week: I didn't want to network with people unless we'd worked together for more than a few days and for the same employer.

I have always kept my profile and my contacts private. I suspect that this has been the key to the low levels of LinkedIn SPAM. If I do get a contact request, it's a contact of a friend. I don't respond if I don't know them.

I find it a useful tool to connect with potential bosses. When I speak to a leader for a new role- which I do often for a number of reasons- I like to find and connect with them. It tells me something about them after they already have my information. You can find lots of conversation enhancers- like where they went to school, what they studied, and even a role that is not consistent with their current one. People love talking ab themselves. (As evidenced here) I find this gives them the chance to talk ab themselves when they're supposed to be learning about me.

When I was doing a ton of hiring LinkedIn was a great way to get some quick info about someone. You could often find stuff about them that wouldn't be clear on a resume. Also some people use it to reveal too much about their personal views, thus helping me decide to move on before we ever spoke...

It can also be a good way to keep in touch with former bosses. A former CEO got in touch with me to do some consulting work for her via LinkedIn. Can't argue with extra cash from a person who has sold 3 companies in 5 years. She knows what she's doing and best to keep in touch with her!

A couple years ago I used it to successfully to reach out to prospective employers when I wanted out of my current role. Regular recruiting wasn't working so I paid for their slightly premium level and then had access to reach out to people. It worked. Through Linked In I directly contacted a few VPs and said, "I'm the guy you want for this." Got the interviews and the offers I wanted.

LinkedIn can work for what it was intended but sadly too many people use it for, "Let me add this guy I spoke to one time..." or they give it access to their contacts.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Yeah, I get LinkedIn emails too even though I don't have a LinkedIn account. It's on my list of things to do, though. Many/most in my industry have them, and I've been told by many that I should have one. One of these days.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:32 AM
apprentice curmudgeon

Mein Auto: A bunch of things
I get linkedin requests even though I don't have an account. It's been hacked a couple of times. My company has problems with people opening scammer mail and they've hit linkedin too.

Text if you want to meet him.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:22 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Real or speculative, it is interesting that some have found LinkedIn useful.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:24 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalily View Post
Yeah, I get LinkedIn emails too even though I don't have a LinkedIn account. It's on my list of things to do, though. Many/most in my industry have them, and I've been told by many that I should have one. One of these days.
"One of these days" is when you need networking. When you open an account, I'm sure you will get endless requests for links. As for me, if I find that necessary, I'm in deep financial trouble.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 03-18-2015 at 04:26 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:44 AM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
"One of these days" is when you need networking. When you open an account, I'm sure you will get endless requests for links. As for me, if I find that necessary, I'm in deep financial trouble.
I don't think of it as "necessary". I think of it as "prudent". Having connections creates opportunities. If you don't need those opportunities, great. But why not put some minimal effort into having them there for later? Just in case?

LinkedIn is part of that philosophy "It's not what you know, it's who you know." Speaking as a manager, I'd much rather hire someone I know is a good fit than risk that a new hire would be a bad fit. Someone can be a superstar technical genius and a total misfit, bringing a whole team down. Networking gets you known so that doors can be opened if you present yourself well.

Success is partly about making good choices, and partly about making good choices available. Which is also a good choice.

So, it's your choice...

Grammar: The difference between "knowing your sh*t" and "knowing you're sh*t."
"A world that is 'idiot proof' is a world that is only fit for idiots." - Racer X / 6'er
Old 03-18-2015, 12:11 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_m5 View Post
I don't think of it as "necessary". I think of it as "prudent". Having connections creates opportunities. If you don't need those opportunities, great. But why not put some minimal effort into having them there for later? Just in case?

LinkedIn is part of that philosophy "It's not what you know, it's who you know." Speaking as a manager, I'd much rather hire someone I know is a good fit than risk that a new hire would be a bad fit. Someone can be a superstar technical genius and a total misfit, bringing a whole team down. Networking gets you known so that doors can be opened if you present yourself well.

Success is partly about making good choices, and partly about making good choices available. Which is also a good choice.

So, it's your choice...
You suggest that LinkedIn will find you a perfect and not a misfit? I have not come across any article in the internet that networking through LinkedIn will give a better chance in finding a good fit new employee.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 E46 330i
The problem with LI is that you can create a profile and use an image that suggests you are the queen of England. There is no verification that any person is real.

If a false person uses your name and location to post comments to an article that threatened someone for example, who do you think would be visited by SWAT?

I have reported scammers using the name of a famous person to obtain personal info from job seekers, but LI just ignore me. For instance:

Note the LI profile pic is a crop of a stolen picture of the real person.

Public Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/simran-kaur/97/3b8/58
Quote:
Simran Kaur

Immigration Consultant at Abhinav
South Delhi, Delhi, IndiaOutsourcing/Offshoring

Google image search on the profile pic reveals that Simran Kaur is a famous Indian actress. She almost certainly is not offering Canadian Emigration help to engineers: https://www.google.com/search?tbs=sb...h%20by%20image

The real Simran Kaur: http://www.kerala.com/malayalamcinem...-my-family.htm

This Linkedin invite from Simran Kaur to review your resume leads to the profile above: https://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?v...2bsc7NNjmsRmE1

I have had connection requests from "bankers" that similar analysis revealed to be fraudulent. I reported those to LI and at least they were shut down - only to pop up again as someone else...

Last edited by dynosor; 03-18-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Same here. I closed a LinkedIn account years ago. At least I thought I did. I closed it again.

I'm now getting annoying e-mails from LinkedIn announcing that certain 'friends' want to included me in their LinkedIn profile if I would only respond to the e-mail.

I've contacted these friends and they claim that this is not true at all...it must be driven by LinkedIn trying to lure me in.

Scammers.
E92 335i 6MT
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA

Last edited by pointandgo; 03-18-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:26 AM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
You suggest that LinkedIn will find you a perfect and not a misfit? I have not come across any article in the internet that networking through LinkedIn will give a better chance in finding a good fit new employee.

I actually scored a decent job through LinkedIn a few years back. ...a director of marketing and I had mutual friends, she liked my background. A couple of emails back and forth... Phone interview within a day, next day got in real interview, two more interviews later- I had the job. Granted I only stayed there for a year it was a good job with a great company.

LinkedIn definitely has it's advantages, you just have to be careful (like with everything else on the internet).
Old 03-19-2015, 06:06 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinSand View Post
I actually scored a decent job through LinkedIn a few years back. ...a director of marketing and I had mutual friends, she liked my background. A couple of emails back and forth... Phone interview within a day, next day got in real interview, two more interviews later- I had the job. Granted I only stayed there for a year it was a good job with a great company.

LinkedIn definitely has it's advantages, you just have to be careful (like with everything else on the internet).
Congratulations, Sandy. Yes, there is a total solar eclipse tomorrow. (get it?) It happens so infrequently that it is news when it happens.

When you quit, it cost the company money to process and hire another candidate. She got dinged in her personal file for not going through the normal HR channel in hiring a new employee. OK, LinkedIn does have testimonials. As with me, those spam emails must be telling something that I need to do.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 03-19-2015 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:35 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosor View Post
The problem with LI is that you can create a profile and use an image that suggests you are the queen of England. There is no verification that any person is real.

If a false person uses your name and location to post comments to an article that threatened someone for example, who do you think would be visited by SWAT?

I have reported scammers using the name of a famous person to obtain personal info from job seekers, but LI just ignore me. For instance:

I have had connection requests from "bankers" that similar analysis revealed to be fraudulent. I reported those to LI and at least they were shut down - only to pop up again as someone else...

All social media you can create false accounts. I have one twitter account & one FB account. Both use a fake name, fake info and email addresses that go nowhere. They are used to get discounts, coupons, etc. There's no way I'm putting my real info on FB or Twitter (or Yelp, etc).

Twitter has a big problem right now with Gamergaters/MRA threatening women/developers, doxing people and swatting them. Sadly, there are not many tools to allow social media to really avoid this. Even the old "use a real phone number" solution can be avoided with some easy tricks.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
One of my concerns with getting LinkedIn is that people on my contact list will get a similar request/email from me without me intending to. That's what freaked me out about Waze, having people accept my friend request that I never sent them. (But I'm so dependent on Waze I got over it.)
Old 03-19-2015, 09:17 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalily View Post
One of my concerns with getting LinkedIn is that people on my contact list will get a similar request/email from me without me intending to. That's what freaked me out about Waze, having people accept my friend request that I never sent them. (But I'm so dependent on Waze I got over it.)
Why not just ignore the social media sign on stuff? Waze works without it.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search