Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 09-09-2010, 12:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 525I
2001 740i Reliability

Hey Everyone JUst bought a great 01 740i 2001 with 102k.

New parts all around..from water pump to rotors and brakes and bushings.
Lots of TLC and car runs great.

Been hearing mixed things about this models reliability.

Drive about 3000 miles a year.

ALways have had 5 series and never any big issues with them. Fell in love with the drive of the 7 and this one has the sports and m package.

HAve you guys had many issues with yours or have found them to be pretty reliable once all the work has been done.

I tend to flip out of cars pretty fast every year but this one is so nice I was thinking of keeping it long term.

Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 740iL
While I believe that sometimes the low reliability is overblown, I wouldn't call my car reliable, I'd call it reliable enough to deal with (for me) and still enjoy the car. Even if they don't break that often, the parts cost is often so high that it usually offsets the everything else. Just the parts on these cars sometimes cost more than parts and labor on others.

The things that went wrong on mine in the past few years that weren't related to maintenance have been the OSV valve, valve cover gaskets, intake gaskets, idler pulley, and thermostat. Maintenance related items that I've changed are antifreeze, trannsmission fluid, serpentine belt, front and rear brake pads and rotors, upper radiator hose, fuel filter, thrust arms, rear control arms, wheel alignment, and a brake fluid flush. If I didn't do these items myself and get my parts wholesale price, I wouldn't have been able to afford this car. I've heard of people dropping more than five thousand dollars in less than a year to fix the problems with their E38, and with what the parts cost, I believe them. I am not saying this to scare anyone who owns or wants to own the biggest BMWs made from 1995-2001, I am saying this to inform anyone who isn't ready to deal with issues, should they crop up, that this isn't for you.

If I didn't enjoy driving this car so much, I would have dropped it a long time ago, but I do love to drive my car. This is the best mix of interior space, luxury, power, ride, and handling of any car I have ever driven. As long as I can, I will keep enjoying my ride.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:10 PM

HEy Balance

GReat info and I agree.

I always buy top notch cars that have been well taken care of and do not believe in putting good money into bad situations.
Really love the car had it a week and it drives like nothing else.

I had an 07 525i which was awesome but only drive 3000 miles a year so not into paying depriciation.

I have driven pretty cheap when I go the used route and always seem to get a lot for my money,
Old 09-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
I would have to say my E38 has been quite reliable. I haven't had any big problems. Just hoses under the hood which were easy to change. It does like to eat up tires. In my case being too heavy on the accelrator. I change the oil about twice a year. It's a really easy car to work on yourself for the most part. Parts haven't in my opinion been too expensive. My Subaru's parts were about as expensive and even harder to come by compared to my bimmer.

*Der E38*
manufactured: 7/01
color: anthrecite metallic
wheels: style 89 E66, 19X9F 19X10R
ext. lighting: 8000k D2S & LED plate light
*want to get sport rear diff*
Old 09-09-2010, 10:19 PM

I think it all depends on the car. Some people sound like they bought some really abused ones,

I have owned a lot of BMWS and never really had major issues.

This is my first 7.

An 01 M sport with 103k.

Really fun car but the nav is really bad!!
Old 09-22-2010, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 740i Sport ///M
Thumbs up The E38

I've had my 2001 740i Sport for about 15 months now. I bought the car as a prior salvage, front end collision repair and had tons of issues with only 77k miles.

I had to replace the Auxiliary Cooling Fan, 4 tires, Suspension work, alignment, battery, etc...roughly $3k in repairs.

HOWEVER, after repairing what the previous owner shafted me on the car has been Solid, No problems besides minor stuff. I would reccommend this car to anyone. I will be keeping it long term.

Plus repairs are expensive if you go to an unfamiliar shop or Dealer. They like to **** their customers. Go find a trustworthy mechanic or if you know what to do yourself save even more $$$.

SES light pops on from time to time with no appearent reason but all that's superficial.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: 95 BMW 740iL
I love my 740 iL!! Even with 202,000 miles on it it still perrs like a kitten and gets complements every single day. You made a good choice. Like said before the parts are expensive but you got to pay for class and luxury... Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-09-05 12.31.05.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	247642