Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Coupe
Price check on Isle 3 please

It is a 2001 BMW Z3 Coupe 3.0. Automatic, sunroof, one owner, 7,000 miles.

Black with red/black/aluminum interior. CD, heated seats, extended leather, alarm.

The car has had yearly oil changes, but all other fluids are original. Battery has been replaced but it still has the original tires.

It does have a couple of rock chips as almost all the miles were hwy. Perhaps 10 total.

KBB doesn't really reflect the value of a car like this. Thoughts on what it is worth?
Ads by Google
Old 09-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Rad Racer World Champion

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 M Coupé (S.Bronze)
*aisle

'08 Z4 M Coupé Sepang Bronze, Black/Black, Madeira Wood, CDV delete // 49th from End of Production
Old 09-10-2010, 06:22 AM
The Anti-Rice

Send a message via AIM to Mpire Send a message via MSN to Mpire Send a message via Yahoo to Mpire
Mein Auto: S54 M Coupe x2, M52 Z3
Oh, I figured he was looking to pay the price of a small island.

Blue book is around 8.

I personally wouldn't value it much more than 12.

You can get an M Coupe for 15-16, and the cost of ownership and happiness scale will be much better with an M car.

Will take a dramatic hit on resale if with a slushbox.

For example, in the Miata world, no one wants a slushbox. Its easier to wreck the car than sell it.
1999 Estoril / Estoril Coupe

Sunroofs are for girls.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:46 AM
Calvinball Professional

Mein Auto: '07 M Roadster
What has it been doing during its downtime? Garage queen or out in the elements? How are all the rubber bits?

I agree with Mpire on the negative impact that an auto tranny will have, but I'm a little more pessimistic about your chances. That transmission choice negates the positives of low miles and what I'm assuming is all around good condition.

The auto transmission puts it in the "cute little car" buyer's market and not the enthusiast sports car buyer's market. As we continue through this 21st century Depression, there are lots of cute little cars on the market so I would expect the KBB price to be unfortunately accurate.

Despite the appearances, the car still needs a bit of going over: those tires are getting old despite the low miles and may be flatspotted from sitting. Brake fluid definitely needs changing too. My memory fails me on all the other fluids (my Z3 has been gone for 4 years), but I would expect that coolant, transmission, and diff all could use a freshening. This adds up if you aren't doing the work yourself.

You selling or buying? If you are buying then use all these to your bargaining advantage and push for the KBB price.

2007 Z4 M Roadster Sepang/Sepang-X/Black, Premium, Nav, BMW Strut Bar, Stubby Antenna, Dice, UUC clutch stop, Star Specs, and the rest joyfully stock.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestheticstorm View Post
*aisle
Sorry about the spelling. I posted that last night before I went to bed.

Anyway, I know its not an M and understand the downfall of the slushbox. I've owned an M in the past and uderstand the benifits. I doubt you can find a 7,000 mile M Coupe for under $25,000. In fact only 15 Z3 Coupes are for sale on autotrader (1999 to 2002). The lowest mileaged one is a 2002 with 36K miles for $17,900 (manual tranny). The cheapest is a 1999 with 90K miles for $11,500 (manual tranny).

The plus of this car is it is better than driving my Honda Civic and it looks great. Plus my wife can drive it.

I figured it would need all the fluids flushed and new tires. Oddly there are no flat spots on the tires and it has always been stored in the garage under a car cover. All the rubber looks fantastic. Per the owner it gets driven, just not a daily driver. Zero curbage on the rims and the front has no driveway scrapes under it.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:12 AM
The Anti-Rice

Send a message via AIM to Mpire Send a message via MSN to Mpire Send a message via Yahoo to Mpire
Mein Auto: S54 M Coupe x2, M52 Z3
I never said you could find a 7000 mile m coupe for 15 grand.

However, other than interior condition, there isn't much benefit to getting a 10k mile car over a 60k mile car. And I would probably take the S52 M with 60k miles over a Z coupe with a slushbox and 7k miles.

Expect to have window leaks, A/C issues, and to replace the tires, washer jets, door handle surrounds, and speakers. Not to mention flushing all the fluids immediately.

Thats just what I was thinking anyways. Also, if you buy this car for 15 grand, put 30k miles on it, then sell it, I bet it costs you a whole bunch more in the long run vs picking up an S52 M Coupe for 17k and doing the same. Keep in mind that the manual transmission is German, where the Auto is made in the USA by General Motors.

Honest opinion from a guy who bought a 30k Z3 that had been sitting for 7 years or so and has had to go through every system in the car. This weekend its AC fix. Looks like the seals are gone from not running the AC for a decade, and thats going to be a major PITA. However, I gotta learn how to fix it sometime. Off to harbor freight to get a vacuum pump.

If you can get it for under 10k, then I say go for it. If the seller thinks its worth 18-20k, then its REALLY not worth the hassle.
1999 Estoril / Estoril Coupe

Sunroofs are for girls.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:10 PM
same but different

Mein Auto: 135i, Z3 2.8
Despite the fact that it is an automatic, I think it has some intrinsic value because it is a coupe (and a fairly well-equipped one at that). The owner has driven it annually (per the post) and changed oil annually as well. Being garaged and covered, I would say that the rubber, etc should be in good shape (I bought a 98 roadster with 29k miles that had a total of 800 miles driven in the last 3 years-all seals, a/c, etc were fine. I did change the belts, flush brakes, etc and have driven in 3500 miles this summer-no issues at all).

Hard to put a value on the car, but, I certainly would give 12k as described (keep in mind, it has all the updated stuff-5ps auto, 3 liter engine, DSC, CD stereo, etc that were the updated packages on the later Z3). It is a hell of a lot more fun that driving a Honda as you said and you can put 10-12 K miles a year on it and not have much depreciation