Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 1 Series
Question Run Flats upon lease return?

I just started a 3-year lease on a 128i. I love the car, but doubt I'll keep it beyond the lease term.
My question is...does BMWNA require me to include 4 matching run-flat tires (like OEM) when I return the car? Or can I return it with 4 matching non run-flats?

I ask because I plan to dismount the RFTs early (while they have some life left), and store them if I'm required to return the car with RFTs without being penalized. I am NOT paying $300/tire while I'm driving this car. I'll just replace with conventional tires and a can of sealant in the trunk.
Ads by Google
Old 09-13-2010, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: nothing yet
I have generally found BMWFS to be pretty easygoing in their end of lease inspections, although it sounds like over the years there's been a transition of this inspection work from the dealer to a third party (at least for the area of the country / dealer that I'm in). I think I've also benefited from the fact that I've always turned in one BMW to take delivery of a new one.

I think the key thing would be to not draw attention to any issues with the tires at turn-in. My bet is that if you turn in a clean car with low wear tires, especially if you're trading in for another BMW, you may be in ok shape. If, however, the tires are worn anyway, the price they'll look to charge you is based on the run-flats that are the standard spec for the car. Give the inspector every chance to say "ok, good enough".
Old 09-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Ahh! Summer Weather!!

Mein Auto: E90, Porsche 911, VW GTI
They expect 4 run flat tires back on a lease return.

Porsche: Accept no substitute, unless you're poor!

The E90 sedan is the last in the line of great 4 door 3 Series BMW's. Too bad.

"The VW GTI remains and will likely continue to be one of the finest compact sports cars in the world." Christian Seabaugh, Motortrend, March 27, 2012.

06/02/2005-06/02/2014: 9 great years on Bimmerfest!!!
Old 09-13-2010, 05:06 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethesda E39 View Post
I just started a 3-year lease on a 128i. I love the car, but doubt I'll keep it beyond the lease term.
My question is...does BMWNA require me to include 4 matching run-flat tires (like OEM) when I return the car? Or can I return it with 4 matching non run-flats?

I ask because I plan to dismount the RFTs early (while they have some life left), and store them if I'm required to return the car with RFTs without being penalized. I am NOT paying $300/tire while I'm driving this car. I'll just replace with conventional tires and a can of sealant in the trunk.
The smart thing to do is replace the runflats after say 12k miles and then put them back on before lease return. That's what I did, I'm running Sumitomo HTR Z III XL which I got from tirerack for $78 each. Can of sealant and air pump in trunk. BMW approved runflats are required on lease return.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )

Last edited by mclaren; 09-13-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren View Post
The smart thing to do is replace the runflats after say 12k miles and then put them back on before lease return. That's what I did, I'm running Sumitomo HTR Z III XL which I got from tirerack for $78 each. Can of sealant and air pump in trunk. BMW approved runflats are required on lease return.
My thoughts exactly.
Wow...am I ever happy I looked up the cost of replacement now vs. later!

How are the Sumitomos?
I'm considering them as well (either that or Dunlop / bridgestone). I want to keep the price below $90 per tire if possible.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Why don't you just call them and ask?
Old 09-13-2010, 06:15 PM

This is far less efficient. I prefer this.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethesda E39 View Post
My thoughts exactly.
Wow...am I ever happy I looked up the cost of replacement now vs. later!

How are the Sumitomos?
I'm considering them as well (either that or Dunlop / bridgestone). I want to keep the price below $90 per tire if possible.
I'd either get the Sumitomos or the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110. They're both cheap and good.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )