Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
with the part still on the car you only see the front side of the tb
Ah, I understand both points.
I. I could only clean 'half' the throttle body on the vehicle ... and ...
2. It's probably safer to unplug the battery when moving the throttle body plate (which, in effect, removing it from the car does).

Thanks.

Last edited by bluebee; 06-21-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530i
Throttle body is just a barrel of metal and only air passes through it and may be some gas vapors sucked from the T connection on top of air intake. I do not think it can get very dirty. The cleaning will not achieve anything.

Having said that I cleaned it after 127 K mile. It was fine, did not need any cleaning at all.

Regards,
Old 06-21-2012, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
My 2003 car that I bought new, now has 230,000 miles on her. I have cleaned the throttlebody by removing the part and cleaning with throttlebody cleaner every 40k miles since she was new--along with the ICV. Now concerning moving the plate in the throttlebody--I have opened it all the way open and held it there very time I cleaned the part--have never had a problem with doing this--thats the way I have done the procedure and it's worked well for me--
Same here, I open it by hand all the time for cleaning. Been doing it about every 9 months since I bought her back in 2000.
As long as you don't let the spring slam the plate closed you won't do any damage to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TB4.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	330083   Click image for larger version

Name:	TB5.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	330084  

2000 540/6 Slightly tweeked...everywhere
Old 06-21-2012, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
Jim--Noticed that you took the cover off of yours --did you do that to clean the workings? If so, do you use white grease or something like it before closing it back up? I bought a spare back years ago for 20bucks that came off a car with 15k miles--car was totaled and thought it would be a good thing to have a spare someday--Thanks
Old 06-21-2012, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
No grease, I used MAF cleaner on the dual pot that is under the gear that has the spring on top of it. The 4 white wires connect to the pot.
After cleaning it I sprayed on a little Radio Shack volume control cleaner/lubricant.

2000 540/6 Slightly tweeked...everywhere
Old 06-21-2012, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
Thanks for the responce--never had the cover off of the one thats on the car--but did remove the cover on the spare--pandora's box thing I guess--I have heard that if you use another TB that you need to have the car reprogramed to accept the new TB--do you know if that is so or not? May only need to disconnect the bat and touch the ends of the cables to make the car relearn and program the tb again--don't know, but if I need to use the other tb would be good info before starting down the path--Thanks
Old 06-22-2012, 07:05 AM
Wrenchin' fool ...

Mein Auto: e39 528it
Quote:
I have heard that if you use another TB that you need to have the car reprogramed to accept the new TB
You need to "reset engine adaption" by going to an Indy or using Ediabas / INPA on your laptop.

Reset adaptions, perform key-on key-off 30 second trick (varies for M52TU versus M54 motors) and you are good to go.

2000 528iT Sport 5M (mfg. 5/1999) ~ 1990 325iX 5M
BMW CCA member #130075
JScottRacing
Old 06-26-2012, 10:53 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase007 View Post
You need to "reset engine adaption" by going to an Indy or using Ediabas / INPA on your laptop.

Reset adaptions, perform key-on key-off 30 second trick (varies for M52TU versus M54 motors) and you are good to go.

Is it possible to drive at all before resetting those adaptions? My garage does not have any programming available.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:59 AM
Wrenchin' fool ...

Mein Auto: e39 528it
Quote:
Is it possible to drive at all before resetting those adaptions? My garage does not have any programming available.
Don't know b/c didn't try.

Perhaps others can chime in.

2000 528iT Sport 5M (mfg. 5/1999) ~ 1990 325iX 5M
BMW CCA member #130075
JScottRacing
Old 04-28-2013, 11:16 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
This update today suggests an important place to clean periodically:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbaue View Post
Hi all, I want to give a warning to everyone concerning some easy but important maintenance that often gets over looked but can be devastating if not done.

Spring is here, the rainy season! Its very important Make sure that the water drain tube on the cabin filters are cleared out and free of debris. The drains are small and can get clogged with leaves easily. A Clogged drain on the drivers side will cause the water to back up inside the housing and leak down and puddle underneath the brake booster. The brake booster (sitting in water) sucks in the water and in turn sends it to the vacuum line then gets sucked into the intake naturally by the engine. Has it rained? Is your brake pedal very stiff? Car running rough? White smoke out of the tail pipe? Check the filer drain!! The brake pedal is the dead give away! Don't run the car until you clean out the water. The more it runs the more its sucking water in.

I have a 2000 528i that that wouldn't start. Among many other probs, it had Water inside the intake boots and inside the throttle body which killed it by the way. It was a mystery to me how it got there until today. This is the second time it's acted like that on me. Both times it rained heavily. First time it cleared itself out so i didnt worry anymore. This time it didnt so i Checked and of course the drain was clogged. Cleared the drain, removed the water around the booster and after a little while the everything was back to normal running condition.