Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: 760i -04
Drive control system, drive moderately.

Tre times during the past two weeks when my girlfriend has been out driving the car the yellow triangle with a arrow around has come lit and the iDrive says "Drive control system, drive moderately." and then the turning signal doesn't shut off it self and she says the power steering feels "light" or overpowered when driving.

This fault reset itself when the car is turned off, and I have never seen it even though I've been driving the car more than her.

I have an idea about that it can be a censor that feels if the wheels are turning that have gone bad. Like the car believe it stands still and therefore doesn't turn off the indicator, and also put extra strength to the power steering sins less force is needed to steer a rolling car. But the speedometer works.

Do you have some ideas if I might be correct or can there be another fault?

//nicke
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
If you get that error and the turn signal does not cancel itself when completing a turn, the steering angle sensor probably freaked out.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 09-14-2010, 08:11 PM
President

Mein Auto: BMW
same thing happened to me, it was the steering sensor

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
Old 09-14-2010, 11:25 PM

Mein Auto: 760i -04
Hum, Ok, but why does the power steering feels overpowered? If it doesn't feel that Im turning the wheel it should be in "idle" or is there a emergency program also for the power steering maybe?

Thanks a lot for your answers guys.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 745li
It happens to me about every week. It's just a faulty sensor.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 03' 745i & 06' Cayenne S
so how did u guys fix it? change sensor? how much?
Old 10-31-2010, 05:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Many things
I've had that come on and off about 4 times now since I got my car, figured it was just an oversensitive sensor.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: '07 750i BMW; '03 Z4 BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicke300 View Post
I have never seen it even though I've been driving the car more than her.

//nicke
Maybe the car is telling her it doesn't like her since you don't seem to have this problem.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: 730D
"Drive control system, drive moderately."

hello,
I have the same problem for 3 weeks now.
yellow triangle with an arrow around has come and the iDrive says "Drive control system, drive moderately."
I saw this problem only occurs early in the morning when is cold outside and the engine is also cold. But if i restart the engine after 5 minute this error disappears
what can i do?
what is the problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	730 d bimmerfest.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	252721  

Last edited by bluecnookie; 11-01-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecnookie View Post
hello,
yellow triangle with an arrow around has come and the iDrive says "Drive control system, drive moderately."
I saw this problem only occurs early in the morning when is cold outside and the engine is also cold. But if i restart the engine after 5 minute this error disappears
what can i do?
what is the problem?
Check your power steering fluid.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:58 AM
'' Blue Pill Tester ''

Mein Auto: 05 BMW 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
Maybe the car is telling her it doesn't like her since you don't seem to have this problem.
Don't let her drive the car. It's ok to get kicked out of the house...

Beautiful car is hard findBeautiful girls are just around the corner.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:07 PM

checked the power stearing fluid and it's OK. In the past i had problems with dynamic drive sistem. The bmw service told me i need to replace the FRONT STABILIZER BAR, i have replaced it! Since then this Dynamic drive failure Error had appeared in the same circumstances (morning cold weather - below 5* C). if i restart the engine after a while this error dissapears
Old 11-01-2010, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: BMW745I E65 ,BMW318 IS 94
Quote:
hello,
what can i do?
what is the problem?
So let me get this right and correct me if i'am wrong, you drive around in a 7 wich is giving you a hint(a error in IDRIVE) that something is wrong with the car for 3 weeks and still you drive around with it,for me that's noway gonna happen if the car give's me a error it's straight to the dealer,driving around with it is gonna make it even worse i think you drive in a premium selection car give it a premium maintenance when is needed that's my opinion

Last edited by Lastcombo; 11-01-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:34 PM
'' Blue Pill Tester ''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastcombo View Post
So let me get this right and correct me if i'am wrong, you drive around in a 7 wich is giving you a hint(a error in IDRIVE) that something is wrong with the car for 3 weeks and still you drive around with it,for me that's noway gonna happen if the car give's me a error it's straight to the dealer,driving around with it is gonna make it even worse i think you drive in a premium selection car give it a premium maintenance when is needed that's my opinion
It's not everyone can fit in the same size of shoes. Car may be out of warranty, can't afford the dealer prices, trying to save some bucks etc..etc...
Understandable with this " High Maintenance " cars. However I don't wanna start the reliable and unreliable again...lol

Last edited by t_clealy; 11-01-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_clealy View Post
It's not everyone can fit in the same size of shoes. Car may be out of warranty, can't afford the dealer prices, trying to save some bucks etc..etc...
Understandable with this " High Maintenance " cars. However I don't wanna start the reliable and unreliable again...lol
Driving a 7 gonna cost you some heavy bucks for sure,people told me over and over no what you are doing.After a 2 year having saved up some heavy bucks i was prepared for he 7 and the maintenance it needed if something is wrong.Bought me a nice 730D 02 drove straight to the dealer,i told them them check the whole car out money is no expense so they did ,they put some new parts new software and a few other things costed me like 7000euro had to leave the car for 1 day,and now i frequently have the car checked out every month,it's a shame over here to drive a 7 and go to a mechanic around the corner are some guy you know to have it repaired because you can't handle the dealer,your driving a Flagship prices.Doesn't it feels ggod driving in your 7 knowing everything is alright,me i drive a lot on the autobahn can't have it driving over there with high speeds for a long time knowing that my 7 is having a problem noway,i have to get me a piece of mind and only the shame nah man my 7 is going to the dealer if it's gonna cost me and arm then so bee it.

Last edited by Lastcombo; 11-01-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:57 PM
'' Blue Pill Tester ''

Quote:
Driving a 7 gonna cost you some heavy bucks for sure,people told me over and over no what you are doing.After a 2 year having saved up some heavy bucks i was prepared for he 7 and the maintenance it needed if something is wrong.Bought me a nice 730D 02 drove straight to the dealer,i told them them check the whole car out money is no expense so they did ,they put some new parts new software and a few other things costed me like 7000euro had to leave the car for 1 day,and now i frequently have the car checked out every month,it's a shame over here to drive a 7 and go to a mechanic around the corner are some guy you know to have it repaired because you can't handle the dealer,your driving a Flagship prices.Doesn't it feels ggod driving in your 7 knowing everything is alright,me i drive a lot on the autobahn can't have it driving over there with high speeds for a long time knowing that my 7 is having a problem noway,i have to get me a piece of mind and only the shame nah man my 7 is going to the dealer if it's gonna cost me and arm then so bee it.
Wow...7000 Euro dropped like a BOMB. It;s great if you got it. Good for you.
You know...! Just my opinion, I am on my 2nd 7. But it almost doesn't make any sense at all. Driving higher class and expensive car like 7s thinking (as most peeps do or thought) that we don't have to do lots repairs, but it isn't so true. Like yourself you'd have to drop it off on a regular basis or more like monthly. That's some crazy expense, don't you think ? It's ok for you because you can afford it. But then again it is leading to..." You gotta pay to play, Dawg. " LOL I don't have any problem with having the 7s or money, but to think about it, is like makes no sense and again I am on my 2nd one. I must be really crazy here...Help straighten me out, please...somebody!!!

Old 11-01-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_clealy View Post
Wow...7000 Euro dropped like a BOMB. It;s great if you got it. Good for you.
You know...! Just my opinion, I am on my 2nd 7. But it almost doesn't make any sense at all. Driving higher class and expensive car like 7s thinking (as most peeps do or thought) that we don't have to do lots repairs, but it isn't so true. Like yourself you'd have to drop it off on a regular basis or more like monthly. That's some crazy expense, don't you think ? It's ok for you because you can afford it. But then again it is leading to..." You gotta pay to play, Dawg. " LOL I don't have any problem with having the 7s or money, but to think about it, is like makes no sense and again I am on my 2nd one. I must be really crazy here...Help straighten me out, please...somebody!!!
What I mean is i dropped 7000euros onetime investment ,the car is now fixed if something is wrong i can blame the dealer because they fixed it with all BMW parts coolant ,alternator,battery you name it you get warrenty one those stuff,it's a piece of mind knowing when i driving to the dealer and they stick my car key in a reader are something connected to their computer and the thing says your car is fine in every way no sensor errors only thing i do is a oil change each month,and keep it mind i drive autobhan very lot at 235KM for a long time very heavy work for the engine,still no problems,so it cost you and arm and a leg once but if you then have it checked regulary and fix what is needed a 7 isn't as expensive as you think ,with all the cashed i saved up for maintenance i have plenty left i thought it would be a hell that's why i saved up everything i could and now i ended up loving the 7 very much and if you give t a premium care the 7 doesn't cost as much as you think, you can drive premium always without errors and **** again that's my opinion.I'am also not rich just worked hard and saved up many cash to take good care of my 7 and the dealer yeah i knew it's gonna cost me but i saved for it, again it's our choice to drive a 7 so
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	252775  

Last edited by Lastcombo; 11-01-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:34 AM

and the answers to my questions are? can anyone help me?
Old 11-02-2010, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Hate to say it go to the dealer man fastest safest but it's gonna cost you a bit don't depend only a forum to help fix your car,you drive a 7 once in a while going to the dealer isn't that bad is it

Last edited by Lastcombo; 11-02-2010 at 04:37 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:57 AM

Mein Auto: E65 735i, Ducati1199
Try starting the car then turn the wheel to full lock on both sides and hold it for a few secs. This should bring the message up. Once it's up check your steering fluid. If it's ok then try getting you steering angle sensor (szl) reset. It can be reset with DIS and possibly IPNA. I reset mine with DIS after I had the steering box replaced and it hasn't come back. Dynamic drive uses the power steering fluid also so you could have a small leak. You should get a warning if your steering fluid is low tho. Reset it with your wheels pointing straight ahead and the steering wheel centred.

Last edited by D4hwt; 11-02-2010 at 05:14 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:16 AM

Mein Auto: E65 735i, Ducati1199
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecnookie

Check your battery
Old 11-02-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
I'll let you know later this week as I have mine scheduled for service on Thursday, and plan to have them check why it keeps triggering the light.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:53 AM
'' Blue Pill Tester ''

Quote:
What I mean is i dropped 7000euros onetime investment ,the car is now fixed if something is wrong i can blame the dealer because they fixed it with all BMW parts coolant ,alternator,battery you name it you get warrenty one those stuff,it's a piece of mind knowing when i driving to the dealer and they stick my car key in a reader are something connected to their computer and the thing says your car is fine in every way no sensor errors only thing i do is a oil change each month,and keep it mind i drive autobhan very lot at 235KM for a long time very heavy work for the engine,still no problems,so it cost you and arm and a leg once but if you then have it checked regulary and fix what is needed a 7 isn't as expensive as you think ,with all the cashed i saved up for maintenance i have plenty left i thought it would be a hell that's why i saved up everything i could and now i ended up loving the 7 very much and if you give t a premium care the 7 doesn't cost as much as you think, you can drive premium always without errors and **** again that's my opinion.I'am also not rich just worked hard and saved up many cash to take good care of my 7 and the dealer yeah i knew it's gonna cost me but i saved for it, again it's our choice to drive a 7 so
Is that your garage ?

Old 11-02-2010, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: 745 Li
take the car & get a diagnostic test & find out whats going on . Usually when stuff like that happens its a increase or decrease in voltage which sets off the sensor But just get the diagnostic and go from there good luck
Old 11-05-2010, 04:00 PM

OK so had the car into the dealer for 2 days, they replaced a sensor at the front wheel that was triggering the light; not positive of the sensor but I'll find out tomorrow when I pick up the car. It was covered under CPO warranty so I didn't have to pay anything.