Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

Old 09-15-2010, 05:20 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 750il
Unhappy Locked out of my 1990 750il

Hello,

I accidently left the lights on one night and tried to open the driver's side door with my key but nothing happend (all doors are locked).

I have heard there is a trick where you can manually unlock the passenger side door, but the problem is the previous owner experienced a break-in attempt. The theif could not open the door successfully but damaged the lock. So, the owner had the passenger side door lock sealed shut. Keys can no longer be used on that door.

Another method I have read is to connect a battery to the trunk light wires. I tried this and had no success.

I am currently out of ideas an very worried. I called a few lock smiths and they were stumped. I thought you could pop the hood through the grill but could not find the latch.

I can get into the trunk, but that is all.

If you think you can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Ryan
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 735i
This is only a suggestion.

since you are in the trunk ... can you lift the rear parcel shelf ? i
Old 09-15-2010, 08:17 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
the only model i am aware of being able to pop the hoods through the grille is an e30. the trunk light will work, as i have done this to my 750. i used a trickle charger, and used safety pins to probe through the back of the plug instead of trying to get two wires into the socket.

i have not (ever) had success with the manual key override, and in reading many of the posts here and other forums, it seems to be a quite tricky thing to do. but it is possible. i have just had more luck with the light.

df
Old 10-19-2010, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 735ie
What was the answer, I put the key in the driver side and turned to the left repeatedly to pump up the locking system and it raised the manual knob at the top of the door enough for me to pull up on the out side handle and the door opened. While waiting for a jump start the door was closed and we had to repeat the action to reopen.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 735ie
Post Low battery, Door will not unlock

What was the answer, I put the key in the driver side and turned to the left repeatedly to pump up the locking system and it raised the manual knob at the top of the door enough for me to pull up on the out side handle and the door opened. While waiting for a jump start the door was closed and we had to repeat the action to reopen.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:37 AM

Mein Auto: 740il
turn key and lift handle at the same time on passenger door