Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 12-20-2003, 10:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 330Ci
Really low miles on your new car - not! (m)

Y'all:

This message will shake your faith in the existence of the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus. My oldest son works at a mid to high end European new car dealership here in California. My son was detailing a brand new car for a customer pickup later that afternoon. When he moved the car from the storage lot to the main lot he noticed the odometer read 3 miles, but the trip odometer read 4.3 miles.

Not much "gets by" my son, so he asked one of the mechanics what the deal was. After a bit hesitation the mechanic said that every European car he knows of permits that the odometer can be reset *once* to ZERO. This capability is intended for dealer trades, etc., where the car is possibly driven a couple hundred miles to another dealership, or for the miles that inevitably get racked up by prospective buyers test driving it 15 miles at a pop.

So, how do *you* really know that your brand new BMW had just 11 miles on it when you took possession? When I special ordered my 2003 330Ci I warned my BMW dealer that I'd refuse delivery if it had more mileage than required to get it on and off boats, etc. Based on what I know now, the fact that my car appeared to have just 10.6 miles on it.....well, who knows.

So, what do you think of that? I am beyond surprised, I'm shocked.

Have a great Christmas,

SLO Town
Advertisement
Old 12-20-2003, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Wow, thats the first I have ever heard of that. Not good.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:31 AM
TiAG 330i

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
when i pick up my car, it had 0.6 miles on it. thanks to ED. when I took delivery at dealer, it was almost exactly same when i drop it off in munich.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13 335is, 74 2002, 04 330
I think it's a violation of federal law to rollback an odometer under any circumstances. When the vehicle is sold, the seller must provide a statement of the vehicle's actual miles and any known variation from what's displayed on the odometer, for example, if the instrument was replaced for some reason.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:26 PM
< my favorite mods

Mein Auto: 2004 330cic
was it a Bimmer?

FWIW:
During the factory tour in Munich, the last step was having a tech test drive the car on rollers hooked up to diagnostic computers. I asked how many miles they run it and if they reset the odometer back to zero. The tour guide said they usually take 5-6 miles to test and they account for this by starting the ODO at something like 999,995 when built. At ED pickup, my car had 3 miles on it.

2004 Euro Delivery 330Cic: Silver Gray/Natural Brown, 6sp manual, PP, SP, 18" OEM Style 71's, Heated Seats, Xenons, PDC, V1, M3 Steering Wheel, Euro Tray, iPod/IceLink.....Paper Maps ... SOLD 2006
Old 12-21-2003, 06:33 PM
stop staring at me swan

Mein Auto: E90 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh
I think it's a violation of federal law to rollback an odometer under any circumstances. When the vehicle is sold, the seller must provide a statement of the vehicle's actual miles and any known variation from what's displayed on the odometer, for example, if the instrument was replaced for some reason.

I thought this was the case too. Maybe the cars are put through a quick road test, and then most are reset as they leave the test?
Old 12-21-2003, 07:29 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
I don't know what capabilities BMW has at their factories or processing centers, but I can assure you that I have never heard of anything this absurd happening at a dealer. In fact, the mere thought of it happening made me laugh, because I know it is that unlikely.

If someone can provide real proof of even one case where this was done, then I'll change my position. Aside from that happening, I have no reason to believe that something like that would be done.

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 12-21-2003, 10:44 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Welcome to the board (BTW, I spent five years at Cal Poly!).

I have never heard of anything like that - and I don't believe a word of it. I'll consider it a lie (from the mechanic) until I hear otherwise.

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 12-22-2003, 12:52 PM
...worked on the railroad

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Interesting...

Karl Bimmer had 14, count 'em, 14 miles when picked up on 9 December 2002. I figured it was cool, considering his Rosslyn-Bremerhaven-Port Hueneme trip - a lot of unloading and loading, etc.

Considering that I'm -30 miles past Inspection I (30,600+ miles), and 2003 has 8 days left, the first 14 miles don't seem so significant . Crevier's first service appointments aren't until 30 December - I wanted them to do the Inspection I when I was in for the brake pads, but at the time, I was only 1200 miles away from Inspection I, and the requirement is that there must be 200 or less miles to go.

1200 miles for me is about 2-3 weeks!

I do keep an eye out on the odometer when having the car in for service, but the guys at Crevier have been very, very good (don't want to piss off all those rich Orange County people ); I haven't had any problems with someone deciding to take Karl up the 55 to the 5 to Lost Angeles and back!