Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 128i
Air Conditioning Issues

I have had my 128i Convert for a week now, and I am loving every minute in the car, however...

I put the top up for the first time since I took delivery of the car because the heat is back in So Cal. I proceeded to turn on the AC by just clicking on the "Auto" button. I had the temp set at 72d. The AC did pretty much nothing on Auto. I would have suspected that the AC would automatically rachet up the fan to high but it never did. It was 93d outside at this time and just about as hot in the car. The only way I was able to cool down the car was to hit the Max cool button which sends the temp control down to 60d and puts the fan on high. So much for the "Auto" button.

Am I doing something wrong

LS

Advertisement
Old 09-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
Before I had mine tinted I had to put it on 66-68 with auto. I normally press max for a few minutes before switching to auto. With my tint I use 70.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )
Porsche got the 911 right ( after they tried everything else lol )
Old 09-17-2010, 03:24 AM

Mein Auto: 135i
Make sure the little snowflake symbol button is on. It'll light up green
Old 09-17-2010, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsteiner View Post
I have had my 128i Convert for a week now, and I am loving every minute in the car, however...

I put the top up for the first time since I took delivery of the car because the heat is back in So Cal. I proceeded to turn on the AC by just clicking on the "Auto" button. I had the temp set at 72d. The AC did pretty much nothing on Auto. I would have suspected that the AC would automatically rachet up the fan to high but it never did. It was 93d outside at this time and just about as hot in the car. The only way I was able to cool down the car was to hit the Max cool button which sends the temp control down to 60d and puts the fan on high. So much for the "Auto" button.

Am I doing something wrong

LS
Mine does the same thing. I never notice the fan speed changing in Auto mode. The BMW seems more semi-auto A/C. I use Max cool first then set a temperature and adjust the fan speed for comfort. BMW Auto mode is kinda worthless compared to other manufactures.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Auto works fine in my '08 128i 'vert - but I normally set the temp for around 68o initially and then bump it up to 70o (73o if my wife is along).

If your fan speed doesn't initially increase in Auto mode with ambient at 90o+ and the compressor engaged, then I'd have the dealer check it out.

Tom
Old 09-17-2010, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5d, 2009 128 Conv.
You can also press the auto mode several times to change the intensity of the fan. It has three settings low, medium and high. I usually set it to the high setting when I first start out if it has been in an open parking lot here in GA. After about 10 minutes I press auto again to get it to kick to the lower setting and it does a good job maintaining the temp at highway speeds.

2010 X5d Vermillion Red, Sand Beige Nevada, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather, 3rd Row Seat, Tech Pkg, Trailer Hitch, Ipod
2009 128i Crimson Red, Boston Terra Leather, Premium Pkg, Nav, Heated Seats, Ipod
2008 X5 3.0si (Traded In)
2005 X5 3.0 (Traded In)
2003 325i (Sold)
Old 09-18-2010, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJKBerg View Post
You can also press the auto mode several times to change the intensity of the fan. It has three settings low, medium and high. I usually set it to the high setting when I first start out if it has been in an open parking lot here in GA. After about 10 minutes I press auto again to get it to kick to the lower setting and it does a good job maintaining the temp at highway speeds.
Good information, I did not know this. I'll give it a try today.