Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 05-30-2014, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Temp needle just above middle

Hello all!

I'm a new member here and just recently bought a nice 1992 525i about a month ago. While it is in great condition, I am getting ready to replace some of the cooling system "consumables" to give me piece of mind. I've noticed that while driving, the temp needle is perfectly in the middle, but if I sit at a light or traffic a bit, it's just slightly above the middle. Once I'm underway, it will shift back down to the middle. While I figured it was just a little variance, I started to think that maybe I should check with the pros on this forum. Is this normal, or should I be looking at the fan clutch? I did get a "low coolant" warning the day after I bought it, but the level has been solidly in the middle of the expansion tank when I check it nearly every day. I just figured it was the sensor.

A little about myself: I'm a miata fan and have had a supercharged '97 for a good 18 years that is currently putting out 250 hp to the wheels. I also am currently making a 1979 Triumph Spitfire roadworthy, which has been a fun little thing. Lastly, my wife's car is a '08 Jeep Patriot which has proven to be a great machine. Despite my love of nimble 2 seaters, I gotta say that I am very impressed with the BMW! It is solid, quiet, smooth, and it handles very well.

Thanks!

Hamid
Ads by Google
Old 05-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Nothin like an E34

Mein Auto: 95 540i B/B
Check my signature for info on the fan clutch.
Sounds like it is okay, just sounds like it may be getting worn.
Most stay in the middle, and have a little variance.
Mine is always just to the right of the center.
But if it creeps up sitting your clutch may be wearing.

Are you losing any coolant?
If not check the wires near the sensor, often they break and they just need to be connected back together.

Gotta love an E34!!
If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.

READ THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES
Old 05-30-2014, 11:31 AM

Thank you for your prompt response ZH; you're posts are always informative btw, and you seem to be one of the major players on this forum. Ok, the fan clutch seems to make sense. I was at first thinking that maybe I had a slightly higher thermostat installed, but in reading more today it seems that the clutch could be the culprit. I knew going into this purchase there would be a few parts to throw at it and I have no problem with that, but our extra cash-flow seems to have flowed toward my wife for the last few weeks.
I seem to have left out the specifics on the car: Only two owners since new, 200k miles, and automatic. Not a lot of maintenance history, but according to the Carfax it had a coolant flush 2 years ago. Green coolant is in there which I'm on the fence about.

-Hamid
Old 05-30-2014, 11:53 AM

Oh, and as far as I can tell I am not losing any coolant. The level stays constant in the expansion tank when cool and there are no fresh drips under the car that I notice.

-Hamid
Old 05-30-2014, 11:56 AM
Nothin like an E34

Mein Auto: 95 540i B/B
To test the sensor for the level.
Take the connector off and jump the wires gather with a short piece of wire.
If it still says the message when you start the car it is in the wiring like i suggested.
If it goes away it is the sensor since you say it is full.

Gotta love an E34!!
If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.

READ THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!

STOMP TEST

READ ME IM THE BIBLE

FAN CLUTCH

LOCKS

ANGEL EYES
Old 05-30-2014, 01:18 PM

Roger that, I'll give it a try. Sounds nice and simple. Thank you for your help!

-Hamid