Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Reason for hydraulic steering on the X-drive?

Does anyone know the official reason why the X-drive models have hydraulic steering?
I've heard reasons why the rwd model have electric steering (fuel efficient, less maintenance, helps with self-parking function ) but I haven't heard the reason why the X-drive do not.
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2010, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: M6 F12
Specifically, no, but would assume it has something to do with the 'force' needed to turn and hold wheels with power going to them. The upper limit with electric is the power generated (volts and amps), with hydraulic cylinders can be exchanged/more power taken from the engine.

The only reason EPS is on the rwd models is emission control, EPS reduces the CO2 footprint by some 4 grams per year.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:34 PM

That's what I would guess as well, that the EPS is weaker and can't handle the force/torque applied by the X-drive but I would like to hear the official description.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
What about packaging issues? Do the transfer case and front drive shaft take up the room reserved for the electronic power steering?
Old 09-17-2010, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
I am wondering how the steering will be compared to the other F10's? Will the complaints of poor steering go away????????

2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2014 GL350 The kids chariot.
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car... (gone)
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Old 09-17-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
I am wondering how the steering will be compared to the other F10's? Will the complaints of poor steering go away????????
That's what many of us are eagerly waiting to know. The odds are good imo but if tadtaggert is right it will not make much difference. He's take is that it's the new front suspension that is the difference/"problem" not the ESP. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: car
Doesn't makes sense why they did not include electronic power steering!? I have that on my Lexus GS AWD and its suberb! It got a nicer road feel than the BMW. I can feel the road surfaces and the turn-ins, etc with my Lexus GS. Its a very decent handling car that comes extremely close the old 5 series. But that might be biased. So still, BMW could of put the EPS in the BMW 535xi.

Look at the specs for the GS below, it has EPS:

http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/detai...fications.html
Old 09-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Probably a packaging issue. BMW has always limited steering and suspension options with its sedans (like no Active Steering in the 3er and prior 5er), citing not having enough room to engineer that into the car. Also, there isn't any Integral Active steering on the current xDrive 5er either. Hence, I bet BMW just stuck a plain ol' hydraulic unit in there.

I don't believe there's anything wrong with Electric Power Steering. If done right (which BMW can do, exemplified in some of their small cars), it feels just as tactile and weighted as a less-efficient hydraulic unit. Plus, fuel consumption and emissions are reduced because the electric pump works only when needed, i.e turning.