Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 535i
Pulled the Trigger

Placed an order today
535I, Sport, Dynamic Handling, Premium 1&2, side and top view camera, ventilated seats, fold down rear seat.

Imperial Blue/ Venetian Beige.

Did I miss anything?

Now the wait.

2011 535i imperial blue/beige/sp, premium 1 and 2, ventilated seats, top view camera
Ads by Google
Old 09-17-2010, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535ix/E60 2008 535 XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevej2001 View Post
Placed an order today
535I, Sport, Dynamic Handling, Premium 1&2, side and top view camera, ventilated seats, fold down rear seat.

Imperial Blue/ Venetian Beige.

Did I miss anything?

Now the wait.
If you are already going for sports and dynamic, I would defiantly throw in the sports transmission. Defiantly worth it at $500.00. Not only does it had paddle shifters but severals sport shifting modes as well.

I ordered a similar car,, but added convenience and cold weather as well
Old 09-17-2010, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
+1 for the Sport Transmission. Then HUD.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 09-17-2010, 09:31 PM

Hmmm. I don't have sport transmission on my '08. I can still move the shifter to the left and get the ds (more aggressive mode). Do I still have that option with the non-sport '11 transmission?

Whenever I've rented a car with paddle shifters I've played with them a bit and then ignored them.

I can drive a stick (I did so in France last year and, after 15 years, only killed the engine once) but selecting a gear with those shifters almost seems like a gimmick.

Test drove a car with the heads up display. Hated it. I suppose I could get used to it but why?

2011 535i imperial blue/beige/sp, premium 1 and 2, ventilated seats, top view camera
Old 09-17-2010, 11:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Nice order, you didn't miss anything of importance imo, though if I could do it all over I would have waited to do a comparison test drive with the X-drive to see what the hydraulic steering brings to the table. Based on your order it seems like sportiness is a priority so you could find yourself sorely missing the steering of your E60.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:53 AM

living in California

I can't see any point in considering the ix. For that matter, I've never seen a 4wd 5 at my local dealer.

Also it just seems like something more to go wrong. The salesman was suggesting the active steering pkg, but it too seemed like more complexity on an already complex car.

I know a guy who bought a 3 something ix from them. I asked him why he got 4wd. He said they had it and couldn't sell it so they made him a deal.

Of course if I lived in snow country...

Old 09-18-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Hmmm. I don't have sport transmission on my '08. I can still move the shifter to the left and get the ds (more aggressive mode). Do I still have that option with the non-sport '11 transmission?

Whenever I've rented a car with paddle shifters I've played with them a bit and then ignored them.

I can drive a stick (I did so in France last year and, after 15 years, only killed the engine once) but selecting a gear with those shifters almost seems like a gimmick.

Test drove a car with the heads up display. Hated it. I suppose I could get used to it but why?
Its more than just the paddle shifters, it compliments the the dynamic handling very well by adding a variety of shifting modes,,, and its only 455 invoice. If you werent getting the dynamic handling, id say it was less important, but its almost a must when you combine sports package and dynamic handling.

The heads up display is actually very nice... Takes getting used to,, but nice to see speed at all times,,, plus navigation directions without having to took at the map. Convenient when making turns or getting off highways, etc.

Again, all this is subjective,,, just my opinion
Old 09-18-2010, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
I can't see any point in considering the ix. For that matter, I've never seen a 4wd 5 at my local dealer.

Also it just seems like something more to go wrong. The salesman was suggesting the active steering pkg, but it too seemed like more complexity on an already complex car.

I know a guy who bought a 3 something ix from them. I asked him why he got 4wd. He said they had it and couldn't sell it so they made him a deal.

Of course if I lived in snow country...
I agree, I would not consider X-drive myself due to the reasons you mention but the steering alone could make it worth it, IF the steering is back to bmw standards. I miss my E60 steering every day and I would definately have bought the X-drive if it turns out to have more of a classic bmw steering feel.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:06 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregb10 View Post
Its more than just the paddle shifters, it compliments the the dynamic handling very well by adding a variety of shifting modes,,, and its only 455 invoice. If you werent getting the dynamic handling, id say it was less important, but its almost a must when you combine sports package and dynamic handling.

The heads up display is actually very nice... Takes getting used to,, but nice to see speed at all times,,, plus navigation directions without having to took at the map. Convenient when making turns or getting off highways, etc.

Again, all this is subjective,,, just my opinion
True. My opinion is you probably know about how fast you're going without having to pay $1300 to have it plastered in front of you continuously. It seems there is really very little data shown by the HUD in relation to its high cost. It might be cool to have the nav arrow show up, but most people probably aren't in guidance mode all that often truly. Other than speed, what else of importance is really shown?

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 09-18-2010, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E90 328i
I don't know if you want Comfort Access. The F10 comes with Keyless Start already, so the Comfort Access just adds Keyless Entry. Also, there is no slot to put the key fob.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
True. My opinion is you probably know about how fast you're going without having to pay $1300 to have it plastered in front of you continuously. It seems there is really very little data shown by the HUD in relation to its high cost. It might be cool to have the nav arrow show up, but most people probably aren't in guidance mode all that often truly. Other than speed, what else of importance is really shown?
Cruise control information,,, any type of warning signal that comes up. And its not plastered in front of your face. It appears as if its its floating over the hood so your eyes don't have to focus on the dash or near the windshield. Its not just nav arrow but street name and exit number as well.

It might be stupid and a waste of money for you.

Although not 100% necessary or essential, it is cool and nice to have, at least I think so, the benefit to money ratio is personal, for me, i didn't mind spending the money on it,, you might.