Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-21-2003, 05:02 PM
01silber's Avatar
01silber 01silber is offline
Im here
Location: San Antonio, Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,825
Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
DWM euro glove box

I remeber you talking about you glove box problems awhile back and I was telling you about the euro glove box was alot smaller and not supposed to have the rattling problems, I found some pics of it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glove1.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	23770   Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc02384.jpg
Views:	1227
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	23771  
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 12-21-2003, 06:37 PM
Randy Forbes's Avatar
Randy Forbes Randy Forbes is offline
Investigative Tinkerer
Location: SW Florida
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,949
Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
That IS smaller. Nice blue console. Wheel is the same as the one in the X5 (with sport pkg. anyway) less the buttons.
__________________

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-21-2003, 07:21 PM
dwaynemosley's Avatar
dwaynemosley dwaynemosley is offline
Registered User
Location: Southeast
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 865
Mein Auto: Lots of different stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Forbes
That IS smaller. Nice blue console. Wheel is the same as the one in the X5 (with sport pkg. anyway) less the buttons.
We may be able to order the European piece if we can get the part number.

A lot of us have changed out our 5 series lower dash pieces including the glove compartment in exchange for European versions. The European versions do not have the extra padding built in that is required by the DOT to protect an unbelted 180 lb male. The change adds a tremendous amount of leg room for both front seats as well as an extra cubby on the driver's side for stuff. Plus, the door panels were designed for the European parts. The Euro pieces meet the door panels exactly where the contours are molded into them, and don't protude 2 inches further into the US knee space.

So, these may be available to us if we can get the part number. It would certainly make the passenger's side feel more open and accessible. And if it eliminates the rattles!!!!

My 2¢.
Dwayne
__________________
'10 M3 coupe, Space Gray / Black, DCT
'12 X5d Alpine White
'13 911 Carerra S Agate Gray
'14 X1 M sport 3.5 Alpine White
'91 M5 Jet Black
'01 M3 Alpine White
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-21-2003, 07:24 PM
mng's Avatar
mng mng is offline
....
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,394
Mein Auto: E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01silber
I remeber you talking about you glove box problems awhile back and I was telling you about the euro glove box was alot smaller and not supposed to have the rattling problems, I found some pics of it
interesting - no rattling, huh?

will it swap right in?....any idea where you can pick one up (and $)?
__________________
Nick aka mng
2003 540i/6
intro/clean up thread
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-21-2003, 08:05 PM
AndyM's Avatar
AndyM AndyM is offline
Suede Master
Location: Kansas City
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,409
Mein Auto: '02 3.0i Z3 Coupe
If we can't get it from the dealers here in the states, I can work my connection in Sweden for them. Bimmerfest exclusive

edit: Looks like-
51 45 8 399 928 (ECE)
51 45 8 399 610 (USA)
__________________
Follow us on Facebook for news and current promotions

08 E82 135i | 02 Z3 Coupe | 01 R1100S

Last edited by AndyM; 12-21-2003 at 08:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-21-2003, 08:30 PM
Randy Forbes's Avatar
Randy Forbes Randy Forbes is offline
Investigative Tinkerer
Location: SW Florida
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,949
Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM
If we can't get it from the dealers here in the states, I can work my connection in Sweden for them. Bimmerfest exclusive

edit: Looks like-
51 45 8 399 928 (ECE)
51 45 8 399 610 (USA)
Nice work Andy!

Give us an idea on pricing so we can evaluate.

Raise a glass to Max too...
__________________

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-21-2003, 08:56 PM
AndyM's Avatar
AndyM AndyM is offline
Suede Master
Location: Kansas City
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,409
Mein Auto: '02 3.0i Z3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Forbes
Nice work Andy!

Give us an idea on pricing so we can evaluate.

Raise a glass to Max too...
I already sent an email to my guy for a quote. Hopefully it won't be too expensive. Assuming the number is correct...Would hate to buy one and have it be the incorrect number (no way to return).

Anders, is your glovebox like this one? Wouldn't happen to be able to confirm the number would you?
__________________
Follow us on Facebook for news and current promotions

08 E82 135i | 02 Z3 Coupe | 01 R1100S
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-21-2003, 09:32 PM
Ben Carufel Ben Carufel is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego, California
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,318
Send a message via AIM to Ben Carufel
Mein Auto: BMW Motorcycles
More stuff to spend my money on eh?
__________________
Ben
2000 BMW 528iT - 1989 BMW 325i S50 - 2007 BMW R1200S - 2002 BMW R1150GS ADV - 1972 BMW R60/5
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-21-2003, 09:39 PM
dwm's Avatar
dwm dwm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: White Lake, MI
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,358
Send a message via AIM to dwm Send a message via Yahoo to dwm
Mein Auto: 2002 M roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01silber
I remeber you talking about you glove box problems awhile back and I was telling you about the euro glove box was alot smaller and not supposed to have the rattling problems, I found some pics of it
Cool, and thanks!

Hmm, wish I could see the driver's side better... no knee bolster there either?

Did we ever find out if Canada's is the same as ours?
__________________
Daniel
2002 M roadster
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-21-2003, 09:47 PM
dwm's Avatar
dwm dwm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: White Lake, MI
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,358
Send a message via AIM to dwm Send a message via Yahoo to dwm
Mein Auto: 2002 M roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwm
Cool, and thanks!

Hmm, wish I could see the driver's side better... no knee bolster there either?

Did we ever find out if Canada's is the same as ours?
One other thing... the door panels have no annoying storage space? I'd like that as much as the glove box. I scuff mine alost every time I get out of the car in the garage. Got a P/N for the driver's side?
__________________
Daniel
2002 M roadster
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-21-2003, 10:06 PM
01silber's Avatar
01silber 01silber is offline
Im here
Location: San Antonio, Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,825
Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwm
One other thing... the door panels have no annoying storage space? I'd like that as much as the glove box. I scuff mine alost every time I get out of the car in the garage. Got a P/N for the driver's side?
Im pretty sure those panels are aftermarket with speakers built in

From what I can see the glove box should be a direct replacement for ours, I would have to assume that it would matchup to our dash but Im not for sure

here is a pic of drivers side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc02380.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	23791  

Last edited by 01silber; 12-21-2003 at 10:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-21-2003, 10:11 PM
01silber's Avatar
01silber 01silber is offline
Im here
Location: San Antonio, Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,825
Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
Andy if he has one in stock see if he can easily take a picture of it, It may be just the pic I have on it but it seems that it might and I doubt it but it might be a diff. texture from dash and possible diff. shade of black
atleast from the pic I have but it is prob. just the lighting
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-21-2003, 10:17 PM
01silber's Avatar
01silber 01silber is offline
Im here
Location: San Antonio, Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,825
Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
also now from looking at the last pic the drivers side is also missing the buldge/ lip im wondering how the glovebox would look if the drivers side is not changed
euro box= passenger side no lip where it meets the dash
usa drivers knee bolster= lip where it meets the dash
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-21-2003, 10:19 PM
dwm's Avatar
dwm dwm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: White Lake, MI
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,358
Send a message via AIM to dwm Send a message via Yahoo to dwm
Mein Auto: 2002 M roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01silber
Im pretty sure those panels are aftermarket with speakers built in

From what I can see the glove box should be a direct replacement for ours, I would have to assume that it would matchup to our dash but Im not for sure

here is a pic of drivers side
And that pic makes it much clearer to my tired eyes that the door panel is a bolt-on that would be worse than just the storage bin. :-)

Mmm, mmm good on the driver's side knee bolster (lack thereof). Andy, if you can get glove boxes and/or the driver's side panel, count me in. I'll gladly pay you ahead of time even if we don't yet know they'll mate (and won't complain about eating the cost if they don't).
__________________
Daniel
2002 M roadster
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-22-2003, 12:56 AM
Anders Anders is offline
Dare to be different
Location: Brussels, Belgium
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 90
Mein Auto: BMW X3 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM
Anders, is your glovebox like this one? Wouldn't happen to be able to confirm the number would you?
Andy, yes that is how mine looks (no rattles ). I have just gone on Xmas vacation in Denmark, so no access to the MC for the next 8 days, but I will try to track down a number if there is one stamped somewhere.

Also, note the driver side is different - difficult to explain but it is clear from the picture posted by 01silber - there is not a "bolted" in extra piece, as on the US one.

Do note that the Euro glove box is TINY - suppose the US one is too?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0679.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	23792   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0636.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	23793  
__________________
Anders
'08 BMW X3 xDrive 35d (Titan silver / sand-beige leather)
ex '09 MB C220T CDI (black / black)
ex '95 BMW 320i Touring (black / black)
ex '02 BMW M5 (Carbon black / black)
ex '01 BMW 530D Touring
ex '98 MB C43 T AMG
ex '99 BMW M Coupé
ex '93 Alfa Romeo 164 24V
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-22-2003, 07:08 AM
DannO's Avatar
DannO DannO is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orlando, FL
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 636
Mein Auto: //M Coupes
Awesome. I hope this works out. Great catch, Max!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-22-2003, 07:11 AM
dwm's Avatar
dwm dwm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: White Lake, MI
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,358
Send a message via AIM to dwm Send a message via Yahoo to dwm
Mein Auto: 2002 M roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders
Do note that the Euro glove box is TINY - suppose the US one is too?
I think it's all relative. The U.S. one seems gargantuan compared to the one that was in my Honda Prelude (which wasn't even big enough to hold the owner's manual... it was too small in two dimensions, and held about as much stuff as my wallet ).
__________________
Daniel
2002 M roadster
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-22-2003, 08:50 AM
AndyM's Avatar
AndyM AndyM is offline
Suede Master
Location: Kansas City
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,409
Mein Auto: '02 3.0i Z3 Coupe
After the holidays I will order one (maybe the driver side as it will be cheaper) and check how well it matches what we have in our cars, though I doubt there is a difference as far as texture.
__________________
Follow us on Facebook for news and current promotions

08 E82 135i | 02 Z3 Coupe | 01 R1100S
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-23-2003, 08:06 AM
Perryinva Perryinva is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Richmond, VA
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 143
Send a message via AIM to Perryinva
Mein Auto: 99 2.3 Z3, 99 528i
If you look at the pics and compare

to the US variant, then it looks to me that the Euro glove box HAS to be even smaller than the US. The "outside" of the glovebox door looks to be even deeper than the inside start of the storage area itself. Also, I wonder if that center console curved trim piece is a separate part number. The Euro one looks very nice, and opens up the passenger area. But I agree you'd have to do both sides to look right, and I don't think I'd want to chance my knees in an accident, just for looks.
__________________

99 2.3 Z3
99 528i
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-23-2003, 08:11 AM
Perryinva Perryinva is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Richmond, VA
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 143
Send a message via AIM to Perryinva
Mein Auto: 99 2.3 Z3, 99 528i
Hey Dwayne, I assume you're talking E39's? Do you have a link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynemosley
We may be able to order the European piece if we can get the part number.

A lot of us have changed out our 5 series lower dash pieces including the glove compartment in exchange for European versions. The European versions do not have the extra padding built in that is required by the DOT to protect an unbelted 180 lb male. The change adds a tremendous amount of leg room for both front seats as well as an extra cubby on the driver's side for stuff. Plus, the door panels were designed for the European parts. The Euro pieces meet the door panels exactly where the contours are molded into them, and don't protude 2 inches further into the US knee space.

So, these may be available to us if we can get the part number. It would certainly make the passenger's side feel more open and accessible. And if it eliminates the rattles!!!!

My 2¢.
Dwayne
__________________

99 2.3 Z3
99 528i
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-23-2003, 08:25 AM
JonM's Avatar
JonM JonM is offline
Moderator
Location: Charleston, SC
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,979
Mein Auto: 01 Mc, 08 M3, Motorrad x2
Here is another pic of the EuroBox from Rachel's site:

__________________
Jon Maddux

14 R1200RT | 09 F650GS | 08 E90 M3 | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-23-2003, 08:36 AM
dwm's Avatar
dwm dwm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: White Lake, MI
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,358
Send a message via AIM to dwm Send a message via Yahoo to dwm
Mein Auto: 2002 M roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Here is another pic of the EuroBox from Rachel's site
Looks like the interior dimensions aren't significantly different. Still enough room for tire gauge, V1 and head unit faceplate container. I'm sold.
__________________
Daniel
2002 M roadster
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-23-2003, 08:46 AM
dwm's Avatar
dwm dwm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: White Lake, MI
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,358
Send a message via AIM to dwm Send a message via Yahoo to dwm
Mein Auto: 2002 M roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva
to the US variant, then it looks to me that the Euro glove box HAS to be even smaller than the US. The "outside" of the glovebox door looks to be even deeper than the inside start of the storage area itself. Also, I wonder if that center console curved trim piece is a separate part number. The Euro one looks very nice, and opens up the passenger area. But I agree you'd have to do both sides to look right, and I don't think I'd want to chance my knees in an accident, just for looks.
I think it's key to realize that the bolsters are intended for unbelted passengers and drivers. I don't allow passengers to ride unbelted in my car, and I suspect all of us with ragtops enforce that rule with an iron fist. If the firewall encroaches on me as a belted driver or passenger, I'd rather not have the bolster (which is gonna whack my knees sooner).

For me, the euro glove box should eliminate rattles and squeaks, and also increase marital harmony (hard for me to put a price on that ).
__________________
Daniel
2002 M roadster
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-23-2003, 10:26 AM
johnf's Avatar
johnf johnf is offline
John Firestone
Location: Bremerhaven, Germany
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,598
Mein Auto: 1996 318is
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwm
I think it's key to realize that the bolsters are intended for unbelted passengers and drivers. I don't allow passengers to ride unbelted in my car, and I suspect all of us with ragtops enforce that rule with an iron fist. If the firewall encroaches on me as a belted driver or passenger, I'd rather not have the bolster (which is gonna whack my knees sooner).
Sometimes an early, gradual whack is better than a late, violent one.

I don't know the situation on the Z3s but the regular body, European
E36s do a poor job of protecting the driver's knees. A mechanic I
know has seen crashes where a driver has hit and deformed the
supplementary U.S. knee bolster, even though he was clearly wearing a
seatbelt. (It had been stretched.) Given some of the more unforgiving
things immediately behind that bolster, I am reluctant to remove it.

{Added link to E36 NCAP crash test results.}

Last edited by johnf; 12-23-2003 at 10:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-23-2003, 11:18 AM
01silber's Avatar
01silber 01silber is offline
Im here
Location: San Antonio, Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,825
Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
Well I hate to sound unconcerned by it , but my biggest WANT is correct looks color and grain wise and no rattles, that is why I havent replaced mine yet
my biggest concern is looks as to the drivers and pass. side if i do not do the same on the drivers side , im just not sure how it will look
If I were god forbid to get in a wreck where my knees impacted so hard as to cuase major pain I would prob be glad at the moment so as to take away from noticing my car is totalled

On another note I was thinking, there are a few people here that spend money on checking stuff like this out, whether it is Andy buying a glove box to demo or Ron making something or designing or any of you guys
I say we make a deal up where we can go to and paypal funds to these people to help cover some of the lost cost in doing this, in the end we are the ones who benefit from there out of pocket expenses, it would be very little from each of us but would help them in doing these things
No i don't mean if someone wants to add suspension to there car that we should send them money, but when someone is buying or building something that we want and there will be a cost,.. 4 or 5 dollars from us would help them out
example: Andy said he is going to order a euro box to check it out but it is not returnable, If by chance it is a flop e.g. wrong grain doest fit due to some unforeseen reason or whatever at least he is not out the money for nothing, you get the gist
Well comments
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms