Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-19-2010, 04:39 PM
RusOnline RusOnline is offline
Registered User
Location: Brooklyn NY
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535I
F10 BMW 535I Sport Pkg _____ Tire Advice ____

What's up guy's. I need an advice. I got 2011 BMW 535i Sport pkg which i ve been driving for 3 months now. The car is a dream but the run flats drive me crazy! This is the worst thing that BMW could do! It's not even funny! You just can't relax while driving.
I ve changed front tires 2 times already.

Now i decide to change the whole set of 4 for non run flats Continental Extreme Contact DW Max Performance summer tires for better and more comfortable driving. I spoke with tire rack representative and he told me i have choice of two, front 245/40/19 back 275/35/19 stock size and also i can put front 255/40/19 and rear 285/35/19 which he told me would be more comfortable and softer than the stock size.

Does Anyone have the experience with that size and if the wider tires more comfortable in major?

Last edited by RusOnline; 09-19-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 09-19-2010, 05:05 PM
TJPark01's Avatar
TJPark01 TJPark01 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hollywood, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,161
Mein Auto: E92 335i
Just the fact you are swapping the RFT's to All Seasons is gonna make the car more comfortable. He maybe correct in terms of comfort, as sticking a wider tire on the car with the same aspect ratio is going to yield a taller sidewall, but it may come at a higher penalty in fuel consumption, as there is a point when wider rubber starts hurting your efficiency. I have had 2 nails on the same tire, and although these runflats are better than the bridestones I have encountered, I'm still inclined to swap them out when they wear out. I'm also more inclined to stick with the manufacturers size specs, but that's just me.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-19-2010, 05:14 PM
RusOnline RusOnline is offline
Registered User
Location: Brooklyn NY
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535I
The set going to be max summer performance i don't think i would go with all seasons. Thanks for advice!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-19-2010, 06:07 PM
TJPark01's Avatar
TJPark01 TJPark01 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hollywood, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,161
Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusOnline View Post
The set going to be max summer performance i don't think i would go with all seasons. Thanks for advice!!!
My bad I thought you said Conti DWS. Yeah, I've been looking at the DW's, they seem to be a bit cheaper and get decent reviews. I haven't had real good luck with Conti's, mostly the two that I've encountered had a lot of road noise. I'm leaning towards the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position. Either way, I think the ride may be better in these than the good years, due to that stiff sidewall.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-19-2010, 07:08 PM
dunccfp dunccfp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island, NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 486
Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusOnline View Post
What's up guy's. I need an advice. I got 2011 BMW 535i Sport pkg which i ve been driving for 3 months now. The car is a dream but the run flats drive me crazy! This is the worst thing that BMW could do! It's not even funny! You just can't relax while driving.
I ve changed front tires 2 times already.

Now i decide to change the whole set of 4 for non run flats Continental Extreme Contact DW Max Performance summer tires for better and more comfortable driving. I spoke with tire rack representative and he told me i have choice of two, front 245/40/19 back 275/35/19 stock size and also i can put front 255/40/19 and rear 285/35/19 which he told me would be more comfortable and softer than the stock size.

Does Anyone have the experience with that size and if the wider tires more comfortable in major?
I put the Conti Extreme Contact DWS's on my 535i and they are great. I stored 3 of the OEM tires and use 1 as a spare, got a rim from tire rack for $80. I'll return the car with the OEM's The all weather tires are great. Summer tires on a 300 hp car is overkill and not necessary.

I drive aggressively and in fact I drove my car back to back with the demo from my dealer with the rf's and the conti's actually were better. Some think the sidewalls are soft on the conti's = I didn't think so. The conti's are also quieter and last alot longer. They are also top rated for wet and snow. $950 for a set of 4.

Trust me get the all season's. They even come with a 30 money back satisfaction guarantee. No brainer.

Last edited by dunccfp; 09-19-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-19-2010, 07:25 PM
RusOnline RusOnline is offline
Registered User
Location: Brooklyn NY
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535I
Thanks a lot for advice. I'll think about it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-19-2010, 08:14 PM
TJPark01's Avatar
TJPark01 TJPark01 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hollywood, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,161
Mein Auto: E92 335i
If you're in NYC how are you gonna run the DW's during the winter? Are you gonna run a snow tire during the winter and the DW's the other 3 seasons?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-19-2010, 09:08 PM
pharding pharding is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Somewhere
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,031
Mein Auto: 11 550i
BMW is dropping the summer performance tires and going with four season run flats.
__________________
04 Successfully lobbied BMW NA and BMW FS to prohibit dealers from using residual values based upon Euro Delivery MSRP and to use US MSRP saving BMW Enthusiasts several thousand dollars on each lease

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-19-2010, 09:48 PM
RusOnline RusOnline is offline
Registered User
Location: Brooklyn NY
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535I
If you're in NYC how are you gonna run the DW's during the winter? Are you gonna run

I have X5 so it's not a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-19-2010, 09:50 PM
RusOnline RusOnline is offline
Registered User
Location: Brooklyn NY
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535I
If you're in NYC how are you gonna run the DW's during the winter? Are you gonna run

Temperature does matter for summer tires or it's just a question of snow?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-19-2010, 10:01 PM
solstice solstice is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,327
Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusOnline View Post
Temperature does matter for summer tires or it's just a question of snow?
Yes temperature matters as in freezing temperatures. A summer tire gets harder while a winter tires threads remains soft and grippy.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-20-2010, 08:29 AM
TJPark01's Avatar
TJPark01 TJPark01 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hollywood, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,161
Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
BMW is dropping the summer performance tires and going with four season run flats.
If you mean the Good Year Excellence RFT tires, those are still summer tires, but my understanding is that they are Grand Touring Summer, not Max Performance Summer.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-20-2010, 09:47 AM
mdspadeccom mdspadeccom is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 42
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I don't understand how replacing RTFs with standard tires works. RTFs have less sidewall compliance that standard tires, and the BMW engineers compensated by adding the compliance into the suspension. That is why the ride is ok with RTFs this year. If you switch to standard tires then there will be double compliance and the ride/handling will get wierd, wouldn't you think?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-20-2010, 11:10 AM
jimefam jimefam is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cumming, GA
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 730
Mein Auto: 2011 550i on order
If by wierd you mean more comfortable and responsive and less noisy then yes I think so.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-20-2010, 11:54 AM
mdspadeccom mdspadeccom is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 42
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
2x the compliance engineered in by BMW might actually make it too soft?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-20-2010, 01:21 PM
quackbury's Avatar
quackbury quackbury is offline
///Monkeyazz Duck
Location: Not In Kansas Any More
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,457
Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusOnline View Post
I have X5 so it's not a problem.
Wrong on 2 counts:
  1. The tread compound on the summer tires is optimized for summer temperatures. Even on a dry roadway, their grip will be terrible in the middle of January.
  2. x-Drive will give you improved traction for acceleration, compared to RWD or FWD. It does NOTHING for cornering or braking. Go to any body shop in January and look at the number of SUV's with front end damage. Your summer tires will not stop or corner on snow or ice. All Seasons give you a fighting chance. Dedicated snows are the best solution.

Unless you are going to own your car for less than 2 years, you are going to replace your tires at least once. Why not make one of those sets of tires dedicated winter tires? In most cases, they are less expensive than summer tires, anyway. Swap 'em back and forth every Easter and Thanksgiving. Best of both worlds, huge improvement in safety, at no additional cost.
__________________


Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-20-2010, 01:23 PM
gregb10's Avatar
gregb10 gregb10 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: 11542
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 124
Mein Auto: F10 535ix/E60 2008 535 XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Wrong on 2 counts:
  1. The tread compound on the summer tires is optimized for summer temperatures. Even on a dry roadway, their grip will be terrible in the middle of January.
  2. x-Drive will give you improved traction for acceleration, compared to RWD or FWD. It does NOTHING for cornering or braking. Go to any body shop in January and look at the number of SUV's with front end damage. Your summer tires will not stop or corner on snow or ice. All Seasons give you a fighting chance. Dedicated snows are the best solution.

Unless you are going to own your car for less than 2 years, you are going to replace your tires at least once. Why not make one of those sets of tires dedicated winter tires? In most cases, they are less expensive than summer tires, anyway. Swap 'em back and forth every Easter and Thanksgiving. Best of both worlds, huge improvement in safety, at no additional cost.
I agree, im going out of a 08 535xi to a F10 535i,,, will by snow tires.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-20-2010, 01:45 PM
RusOnline RusOnline is offline
Registered User
Location: Brooklyn NY
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535I
I don't understand how replacing RTFs with standard tires works. RTFs have less sidew

I can tell you one thing guys, i don't know what bmw engineers ve been doing but f10 bmw on runflats is complete nighmare! I ve had 2002 Mercedes s600 on 19's and now i have 2005 BMW X5 4.8 on 20's and f10 535i. 535i on runflats is the worst case on earth!
You can go to Tire Rck and read some reviews on Good Year Exellence RunOnFlat tires which goes stock on f10. People are not complaining they are crying.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-20-2010, 02:26 PM
gregb10's Avatar
gregb10 gregb10 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: 11542
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 124
Mein Auto: F10 535ix/E60 2008 535 XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusOnline View Post
I can tell you one thing guys, i don't know what bmw engineers ve been doing but f10 bmw on runflats is complete nighmare! I ve had 2002 Mercedes s600 on 19's and now i have 2005 BMW X5 4.8 on 20's and f10 535i. 535i on runflats is the worst case on earth!
You can go to Tire Rck and read some reviews on Good Year Exellence RunOnFlat tires which goes stock on f10. People are not complaining they are crying.
Crying about what? Harsh ride?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-20-2010, 02:33 PM
quackbury's Avatar
quackbury quackbury is offline
///Monkeyazz Duck
Location: Not In Kansas Any More
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,457
Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregb10 View Post
Crying about what? Harsh ride?
Nope. Other problems. Here's the link:

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...irePageLocQty=
__________________


Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-20-2010, 02:44 PM
TJPark01's Avatar
TJPark01 TJPark01 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hollywood, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,161
Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Nope. Other problems. Here's the link:

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...irePageLocQty=
Seems about average to me. I'm the LA responder by the way.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-20-2010, 04:02 PM
dunccfp dunccfp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island, NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 486
Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregb10 View Post
I agree, im going out of a 08 535xi to a F10 535i,,, will by snow tires.
In NYC we have 6 days a year where with snows youre a hero. In the dry and rain they blow. All seasons are a better solution.

Last edited by dunccfp; 09-20-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-20-2010, 04:05 PM
dunccfp dunccfp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island, NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 486
Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdspadeccom View Post
I don't understand how replacing RTFs with standard tires works. RTFs have less sidewall compliance that standard tires, and the BMW engineers compensated by adding the compliance into the suspension. That is why the ride is ok with RTFs this year. If you switch to standard tires then there will be double compliance and the ride/handling will get wierd, wouldn't you think?

No I drove both back to back. Conti dws vs rft. Same cornering. Conti's better in dry, rft's squeeling.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-20-2010, 08:16 PM
acetner acetner is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 29
Mein Auto: 2008 E60
Is the problem with the run flats on the stock wheel, or just the run flats on the sport package?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-21-2010, 12:03 PM
RusOnline RusOnline is offline
Registered User
Location: Brooklyn NY
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535I
Is the problem with the run flats on the stock wheel, or just the run flats on the sp

To be honest i ve never drove on runflats before and never heard about any issues with them nether. I have the experience with run flats that comes stock on sport pkg.
Good Year Exellence RunOnFlat tires.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms