Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
02 745i - Problem with the Logic 7 amplifiers?

Hello everyone, I am new to bimmerfest and I am happy to know that there are so many knowledgeable people on this forum. My 2002 745i's radio stopped working right after I turned it off by pressing the radio button, but not only the radio doesn't work anymore but also the nav and all the headboard settings (like, the settings, car data, communication...). I turned it off and back on same thing not working, checked all the fuses everything is ok, and unplugged battery and replugged same prob nothing changed.It has only been a few days since this problem began, I was referred here to find a solution. I don't have warantee anymore so any help to solve it myself would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2009, 01:01 PM
President

Mein Auto: BMW
there are problems that could only be solved by throwing thousands of dollars at it...

and i this looks like that problem.

u better hope this could be fixed with a hard reset... in the (diy section), but i dont know what that involves and if u have already done it by unplugging the battery

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
Old 05-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Porsche Ex-Pat

Send a message via AIM to Call Me Daddy
Mein Auto: 2003 745i Blk/Blk Sport
search for MOST BUS RESET and give that a try. It does not sound good for you tho.

Am I crazy or am I?
Old 05-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li
I had the same problem today at the dealer when I picked it up. In the glove box there is a fiber-optic cable under a small cover, at least in my 06. The fiber optic cable appeared to be connected, but after disconnecting it and reconnecting it, the car worked perfectly. BTW don't look right into the red light that should be there, its harmful to the eyes.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:53 PM

Could it be the Logic 7? I was told by a wise man that the logic 7 may cause my problem. Also my front speaker by passenger dashboard makes a weird noise (gksssshhhh) while I'm driving it comes and goes, happens once in a while.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:17 PM

Ok guys, I think I did the bus reset which was in the glove box....the fiber optic cables were pretty thin though, I am not sure if that was the right cables I unplugged and replugged. I also pulled the cables from the nav box which is in the trunk and replugged. Both didn't help the problem. Any other ideas that will help me so I can avoid taking it to the stealer? Thanks.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
Sorry to hear your problems but most likely it will require a trip to the stealer. Your problem can one of two things that i know of either a bad l7 amp or your nav drive. Both are pricey but amp is cheaper.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:50 PM

Is the l7 amp the logic 7? the silver box by the dvd player in the trunk? Do you think if I try plugging in a new one will it automatically work or do I have to do something special or program it some way?
Old 05-31-2009, 12:53 AM
MERK MODE

Send a message via MSN to gridlock249
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Your problem is gonna cost you lot of money, especially if you don't have warranty. I am talking about 3-5 grand. This car is built on fiber optics and to diagnose this is very difficult. Electrical problems will cost heavily and stealership is the only thing that can do it for 7series without messing up anymore. Your headunit and most bus audio system is a severe electrical failure which will require lot of replacements. Keep us posted on what you do as this seems to be a factory defect on 7series, its a common problem!

J//
Upgraded AIB/HID lights| HID Foglight

Development: LED Lights | IPOD audio compatible

(C) SAFEKICKS INC. ENTERTAINMENT. ::
Old 05-31-2009, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
I dont know if i would say 3-5 grand. If its the amp it will run probably 1500 at the dealer if its a nav probably around 2500 at dealer both will require programming at dealer along with any other modules on the bus that may fail. If its your ask unit around 1500 again. good luck and let us know what fixed it.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:36 PM
MERK MODE

Send a message via MSN to gridlock249
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
I would expect him to have that figure in mind as it isn't rare that when one electrical module fails, so does another component. If he budgets himself around that figure than he should know what he is getting himself into. If figures come less than that is a bonus. My figures were always short from what I had expected therefore now I leave room for more errors.

J//
Upgraded AIB/HID lights| HID Foglight

Development: LED Lights | IPOD audio compatible

(C) SAFEKICKS INC. ENTERTAINMENT. ::
Old 05-31-2009, 06:42 PM

I doubt its going to be the nav because the stealer changed it to the DVD nav in 2007 when it was still under warrantee...
Old 06-02-2009, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 bmw 745LI
i had the same problem about a year and ahalf ago, they had my car for a month until they figure out it was the ASK module (Cd player). You can buy a used one and install it with out programin but if it its new u would definitly need programing
Old 06-03-2009, 08:43 AM

So you think just changing the cd player may fix this issue? Wow, that's the fist time I have heard this.... So the ask module = is the single compact disk player right?

When your problem happened year and half ago did your navi stop working and all the monitor controls were not functioning? (like the car data, or settings, or radio....)

Did they change the logic 7 and what happened? I am planning on trying to find a used logic 7 and trying it in my car to see if it works? But this cd player sounds interesting? By the way, how did your problem start? Were you using the cd player and it froze?

I think my problem began when I turned off the radio pressing the radio control button by the cd player.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:51 PM

So does anyone know if the logic 7 amps have anything to do with the navigation not working? The head board lights up and power is available but nothing working?
Old 06-13-2009, 01:46 PM
asc-abs sensors rock!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to starioncorrado
Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by armen34 View Post
So you think just changing the cd player may fix this issue? Wow, that's the fist time I have heard this.... So the ask module = is the single compact disk player right?

When your problem happened year and half ago did your navi stop working and all the monitor controls were not functioning? (like the car data, or settings, or radio....)

Did they change the logic 7 and what happened? I am planning on trying to find a used logic 7 and trying it in my car to see if it works? But this cd player sounds interesting? By the way, how did your problem start? Were you using the cd player and it froze?

I think my problem began when I turned off the radio pressing the radio control button by the cd player.

Thanks for all your help.
If your ask unit goes everything goes,the tv console gets power from the ask unit so if the ask unit is not delivering any source then it wont let nothing else turn on making it seem like everything failed.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:46 PM

What's the ask unit? Can you advise with more detail? How do I diagnose it? Thanks.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Wilassasin

Mein Auto: 07' 750Li(sport)/C6 conv.
Just go to the dealer and find out what it is then u can decide what u want to do, don't replace parts when u r not fully aware...A trip to the dealer to just inform u of what the issue is wont cost u much at all and well worth the info then u take it from there...

09' 335i xdrive coupe(sold),
750 sport(sold)
, 2013' S550 4matic (AMG Sport Pack), C6 convertible...
Old 06-14-2009, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: F07 550i GT
Actually Corrado, the main driver of the BUS system is the NAV Screen. The ASK unit is responsible for all audio related components, as it sends all signals to the L7 amp, this is why the ask is so important, plus we hear that one first and start to pay attention. there is also some sort of relay in the trunk near the l7 amp and nav drive that could possibly need to be replaced.

As far as telling him to budget 3500, I would hope he can come close, I have had over 10k of work done on mine and it is back in the shop and i have never had an issue like his where I had nothing, I would actually have him check the NAV Screen first.

OP, you need to go to the dealer, hopefully with a couple hours of diag (200/hr) they will be able to get a definitive answer for you, only prob is that you will most likely need to have them perform the work (which will be costly) in order to get them to back their diagnosis, as they could possibly be wrong (this is possible)

Items replaced in my 7 (approx cost at the time, includes labor from SA):

Ask Unit 2000
CD Changer 1200
TCU disable and reprogramming (???)
NAV Screen 2500
NAV DVD Computer 2000
L7 Amp 1500
??? RElay (dont remember what its called, will need to check paperwork but it was like 350 + programming )
Center Channel Speaker ???
Alternator 1500

Possibly Unrelated
Water Pump ??? (however alternator is water cooled so who knows)
Some base pan (I think called valley pan) ?????
Belts and Pulleys
Battery

And some other stuff like trim panels and maybe somethings I cant remember
]

As an Engineer I have to say: When all else fails read the manual. Until then, push random buttons like there is no tomorrow!
Old 06-15-2009, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 525I
I had this same problem before and the dealer did a Most Bus reset, they charge me $120 and the problem was resolved. I am having the same problem now, I don't know how to reset the Most Bus and no one here knows the proper procedure. I'm hoping BMW_Tech can shed some light on the proper reset procedure.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:32 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_tech
Mein Auto: rickshaw
MOST of this has been beaten to death. You're going to carry out a MOST bus reset, check to see if there is a light at one end of the optic cable. The idea of a RESET is to break the RING so you do it with the key on. Plug it back in once audio/displays/etc... disappears and turn the key off. By turning the key on after this procedure, a roll call is going to take place and all modules configured in the bus must report. If there is NO light at the jumper, buy or borrow another jumper and start disconnecting one control unit at a time. Your jumper should be connected to complete the ring, hence the need for a second jumper. You need to find the module responsible for the ring break. If you jumped the control unit that is faulty, you'd know right away. Getting to the control units and removing them is another story. Bending/Kinking/Twisting these fiber optic cables could cost you. Think about it, if you bend the cable.....the light output changes (luminous reduction). If you know nothing about electronics (basic), or know your way around these parts of your car.....You could have all the help in the world but if you cannot apply it to your careful hands and skillful ways, buy a lottery ticket and find the cheapest guy like myself around your area. Your chances of winning the lottery might be better, I'm just saying. No disrespect, I'm all for FACTS. My apologies with greetings and salutations. Let there be light.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:26 PM

So after contemplating a week or so, I decided to follow direction from BMW_Tech. I did the most bus reset with key in and saw the red light blinking... after unplugging the fiber optic cables there was some kind of electronic noise coming from inside the dash/glove box/6cd changer... almost sounded like there was a cd being picked up by the 6cd changer in and out....in and out.... but it wasn't really doing that, I'm just trying to explain the noise it was making. So that kind of worried me and within 30 secs or so I plugged the fiber optic cables back in. I turned of the car and turned it back on, now I saw a change on my tv console it sort of looked like it was reset, I guess, but now it wasn't working still. I also noticed a hazard sign where time and temp display is in between the rmp and speedometer, and I noticed that it said recharge battery. Now, I don't know what happened and what this process did... Does this mean that my battery is low? even though my stealer changed it a couple years ago. Or is it a new problem I need to be concerned about? Can anyone (even the great BMW_Tech) explain whats going on, without telling me it's going to cost me 10k...lol...thanks.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_tech
Mein Auto: rickshaw
Since you are a good listener, take the car on a trip where you have to stop at stinky rest areas and roll with the big boys (trucks and truck drivers). Get that healthy state of charge back into where it needs to be. If it occurs along the way, just turn back so you are closer to home.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 525I
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_tech View Post
MOST of this has been beaten to death. You're going to carry out a MOST bus reset, check to see if there is a light at one end of the optic cable. The idea of a RESET is to break the RING so you do it with the key on. Plug it back in once audio/displays/etc... disappears and turn the key off. By turning the key on after this procedure, a roll call is going to take place and all modules configured in the bus must report. If there is NO light at the jumper, buy or borrow another jumper and start disconnecting one control unit at a time. Your jumper should be connected to complete the ring, hence the need for a second jumper. You need to find the module responsible for the ring break. If you jumped the control unit that is faulty, you'd know right away. Getting to the control units and removing them is another story. Bending/Kinking/Twisting these fiber optic cables could cost you. Think about it, if you bend the cable.....the light output changes (luminous reduction). If you know nothing about electronics (basic), or know your way around these parts of your car.....You could have all the help in the world but if you cannot apply it to your careful hands and skillful ways, buy a lottery ticket and find the cheapest guy like myself around your area. Your chances of winning the lottery might be better, I'm just saying. No disrespect, I'm all for FACTS. My apologies with greetings and salutations. Let there be light.
Thanks I tried the reset and no luck. I took it to the dealership and they said the most bus wasn't booting because the voice recognition unit went bad. They replaced the bad unit with a know good unit and the most bus booted up.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:39 AM

Delaino, had you noticed that the voice recognition system was down at the same time everything else was not working? I also know that my voice rec system is not working, what did they do? How much did they charge? or are you under warranty? When you tried the most bus reset did it light up? what did you hear or see? Any changes? Thanks for your help, hopefully it will help me figure out the issue with my car too.