Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 09-20-2010, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: 520i e28
Shaky above 100km/hr

Hi all.
Been rummaging thru the forum & yet to find a solution.
My 82 e28 will consistently shake/vibrate whenever cruising at & above 100km/hr.
Replaced steering Center link, guibo, thrust arms, control arms, engine mounts, transmission mount, absorbers, switched to different set of wheels, inspected propellor Center bearing. What was a violent shake of the steering has now regressed to a vibration felt in the foot well.
It is not as violent as it was before the aforementioned replacements however still apparent.
Also evident is that upon acceleration from stand still, a similar vibe is also there under my feet.

Any suggestion appreciated.
Btw mine has an auto gearbox.
Advertisement
Old 09-20-2010, 11:14 AM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Check your brake calipers for proper operation. Sticking or dragging brakes can sometimes do that. Other that than the wheel bearings might be suspect, sway bar links, or the rear subframe "dogbone" links.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:11 PM

Brakes were indeed done (forgot to mention this), as the disc were suspected of being warped, due to severity of shake during braking.
Sway bar links was found to be shot. I replaced them two days ago. Nil Joy.
No joy here after inspection and needless replacements carried out anyway.
Wheel bearings was inspected, nil play, however i do see your logic. The problem could be only apparent at speeds. (I will give this a go).
As for the rear subframe dogbone links, i never even looked at them. I will probably start here.

Thanks. I'll report when i get some down time with the car.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:18 PM
catso

Jack the rear of the car up and put it in gear with rear wheels off the ground and see if you can replicate the vibration. Try to cut the problem in half, either the front or the rear is causing it. It could be in the driveshaft, or even in the transmission.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:18 PM

Jackstands to support rear elevated.
Chocks installed on front wheels.
However any limitations to adhere too in terms of speed, whilst running it this way.
Or am i to do this to observe for any imbalances in the drive shafts, prop shafts etc
Old 09-20-2010, 09:54 PM
catso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjefriy View Post
Jackstands to support rear elevated.
Chocks installed on front wheels.
However any limitations to adhere too in terms of speed, whilst running it this way.
Or am i to do this to observe for any imbalances in the drive shafts, prop shafts etc
The idea is to find out whether it's driveline related or not. You may also want to look for any broken welds on other damage on the chassis.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:16 PM

Thanks man. A new perspective that i neglected to consider.
Will do.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:12 AM

Hi Catso,
A small update. Haven't had time to check prop shaft, but did reach the rear dogbone links. By this do you mean the pitman arm.
Anyway I could easily move it about. How did u suspect this. By looking at it, I can't see how this has a role in the shakes?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:55 PM
catso

Quote:
Hi Catso,
A small update. Haven't had time to check prop shaft, but did reach the rear dogbone links. By this do you mean the pitman arm.
Anyway I could easily move it about. How did u suspect this. By looking at it, I can't see how this has a role in the shakes?
Any loose suspension component could be part of the problem. They're not very expensive and fairly easy to replace. Mine are worn out too but my car doesn't shake, it makes noise and you can feel it shifting around on turns. Other parts that's prone to wear; the front strut mounts. Kind of a PITA to replace but not expensive either.

Last edited by catso; 09-22-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:25 PM

Sorted. Couldn't tell from running the car on jacks. Suppose the no load run didn't deflect anything. So replaced the pitman arms.
I can now drive 100km/hr above without fear.
Footwell vibe above 120km/hr at the most subtle level still exist which I believe new tires will sort. Two years of running like this has cause some uneven wear on the tires.

Thanks for your help. I would have never checked the pitman arms otherwise.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:19 AM

Hi again all,
With the vibe severely reduced, I am still inspecting the rear suspension now. Understanding the relevance of the rear suspension to the ride quality now, from replacement of the pitman arms, I decided to inspect the other stuff down there.
Whilst I was checking my drive train, I had a check on my rear diff.
Wat I did was to jack up on the diff to see what the mount would do. Wat I intended to observe for was the flexing it would show.
Wat I found was the diff would actually lift off from the bracket. Once letting the jack down, it would then settle back into the bracket.
Reason I am asking is bcos I am not familiar with the way it's installed and hav no experience in replacing this mount.
Is it normal to do this?
any advise on wat checks I can do to establish it's condition. I really can't tell.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:38 PM
catso

Quote:
Hi again all,
With the vibe severely reduced, I am still inspecting the rear suspension now. Understanding the relevance of the rear suspension to the ride quality now, from replacement of the pitman arms, I decided to inspect the other stuff down there.
Whilst I was checking my drive train, I had a check on my rear diff.
Wat I did was to jack up on the diff to see what the mount would do. Wat I intended to observe for was the flexing it would show.
Wat I found was the diff would actually lift off from the bracket. Once letting the jack down, it would then settle back into the bracket.
Reason I am asking is bcos I am not familiar with the way it's installed and hav no experience in replacing this mount.
Is it normal to do this?
any advise on wat checks I can do to establish it's condition. I really can't tell.
I'm not sure what part you're referring to. Is it in the attached diagram? If not look it up on RealOEM.com and post your results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 rear axle.png
Views:	109
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	247758  
Old 09-25-2010, 11:11 PM

I'm referin to part #13 which is the square mounting for the diff. Is it suppose to be a suspended support which I was able to lift up on with a jack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	247786  
Old 10-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Hi, that part number 13 is not supposed to be moveable in any way. You've found your busted bushing.

Second suggestion to you would be to do tyre balancing on all of your tyres, and not just the front ones. Rear tyres being unbalanced somehow does cause vibration at speed....i still have not figured out why it works that way, considering that the rear suspension is dead fixed, but i had that problem too and fixed it by balancing my rear tyres. A friend of mine who had this problem 2 years back and threw lots of money at it including a new set of tyres to replace fairly new tyres, found this solution at the end of the day.

And also check if your front tyres are balanced....especially if you feel the tyre wear has been uneven, you should check this. If you feel like throwing a party, you can get them high-speed balanced too although that's only a factor once you hit 150kmh and above (you're getting vibrations at around 100.)

Good luck!
Old 10-04-2010, 06:36 PM

Thanks Roberto,
Will replace that then.
Wheels are all balanced, however hi speed balancing is somtin I never heard off here in Brunei. I'll ask the shop about that.

The thing is now, the vibe does appear at the speed and continues wen I accelerate further.

Footwell Judders is the more like it now. Hence why I check the drive train. Hope this bush replacement sorts it
Old 10-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
OK, when you fix the rear axle bushing, take another very very close look at each and every front suspension component you've got. You might have missed something. Also take a look at your shock absorbers to see if there are any leaks. Have your mechanic test them (they will push down on the car and watch the bounces to see if its ok). The high speed balancing is only a factor for 150kmh+ driving conditions.