Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-20-2010, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 528xi
Carbon or Sapphire Black

My 08 was monaco blue. I always hated it. Way too blue. For my F10 I'm going with the black and oyster interior. But I'm having trouble picking the paint. Black Sapphire seems very popular on the forum (and the dealer's inventory). I see it as black metallic. How would you describe the difference between carbon and sapphire black? Would one work better with oyster?
Old 09-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11 550i
Both would work fine with Oyster. Be sure to get the Anthracite Headliner.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 09-20-2010, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by edspider View Post
My 08 was monaco blue. I always hated it. Way too blue. For my F10 I'm going with the black and oyster interior. But I'm having trouble picking the paint. Black Sapphire seems very popular on the forum (and the dealer's inventory). I see it as black metallic. How would you describe the difference between carbon and sapphire black? Would one work better with oyster?
I have Monaco blue myself on the 2008 with venetian beige. I loved it when I first got it but did grow weary of the upkeep.

Carbon Black is more like midnight blue, looks black at night but is midnight blue during the day. Get Jet black if you want a true black.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:51 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by edspider View Post
You can only get Carbon Black with the M package, and you cannot get Black Sapphire with the M package, only Jet Black. You didn't mention the M package, so Carbon Black may be a moot point for you. Black Sapphire is very interesting in sunlight, the metallic flakes are not just silver, but a blend of several colors, purple and green. Very subtle and you see it only in direct sunlight. Carbon Black, for me, is a great color. It looks very much like black in many lighting conditions, but really is basically the darkest blue you can imagine.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 09-20-2010, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i M Sport
I have Carbon Black on my X5 50i. I had Sapphire Black on my 08. I'm so glad I went with the carbon black. In certain light it's black and in direct light it is blue. When it's dark out it also looks blue. I also got it because it was only available on the M Sport so I figured why not go for a color that isn't always available

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp