Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 05 745i
Dynamic Drive and Passenger Restraint warning

I would first like to thank any of you who take the time to help in diagnosing or sharing your experiences with this problem. I am new to the forum but will post issues and solutions as they occur with regard to my 05 745i. (please see post relating to hard brake pedal; economical fix in lieu of mechanics suggestion)

The problem I am having now is with the Dynamic Drive. The "DD" warning never goes off while driving in town but does go off whenever I am on the highway for any extended period. Also when this warning occurs it interrupts my satellite broadcast as well as causing intermittent blinking of the dash display. I am not sure if the two are related but the passenger safety restraint warning also came on about the same time as the "DD" issue surfaced. I read the posts regarding this problem and most seemed to be accompanied by a clunking sound when turning, and mine does not have any noises associated with the warning. In fact the only trigger is being on the highway for any period. I have considered that it may in some way be associated with the use of cruise control, but this is just supposition.

Thank You,

Beau
Advertisement
Old 09-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: AC Schnitzer 745i Sport
Possible causes of the warning message:

Defect on the front axle pressure sensor

Defect in the pressure build-up (pump)

Defect in at least one active stabiliser bar

Fault in the ARS control unit A148

Basically you'll need to take it to a stealer to read what the fault code is in the OBD to pinpoint the problem !
Old 09-20-2010, 04:12 PM

thank you. That is what I assumed. Is the blinking dash and radio interruption consistent with any of these issues?
Old 09-20-2010, 04:28 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 745li
if your lights are flickering it might be the battery . how good is your battery?
Old 09-20-2010, 04:37 PM

might be, but I would expect to have had more consistent issues as opposed to highway only. And the flicker only occurs along with the DD warning.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 745li
well the restrain system u need the dealer. i took it in and it was the seat mat sensor which had a recall so it was free. but the other thing u need the dealer
Old 09-20-2010, 04:41 PM

ok Thank You..
Old 09-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Wilassasin

Mein Auto: 07' 750Li(sport)/C6 conv.
If u have many lights going crazy on ur dash saying dynamic drive failure, transmission failure, chances are its your battery or alternator. However, if the only light that appears is dynamic drive failure and it comes and goes and begins to come more then it goes u have an issue with the dynamic drive..I forget what it actually consist of maybe some kind of sensor I forget, but I had mines fixed under warranty.

09' 335i xdrive coupe(sold),
750 sport(sold)
, 2013' S550 4matic (AMG Sport Pack), C6 convertible...

Last edited by Wilassasin; 09-20-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:17 PM

Just a follow up to the fix that ultimately solved this problem. I replaced the alternator and all is well. As it turns out the alternator was on the way out and the first symptom was the dynamic drive coming on and off, that led to more extreme issues as the failure progressed, like the car just stopping in carpool line while picking up my kids. That was very cool. So thanks for the advice and as it turns out that was a relatively easy fix.