Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11 535i
Bells & Whistles

A number of people have asked about the numerous options on the F10. After a few hundred miles on my 535i, here are my impressions:
1. Adaptive Cruise: really neat and works really well. Identifies cars & motorcycles in your lane and ignores other lanes well. The only issue is that you become somewhat dependent on it to keep a safe distance, which it does, unless it is turned off...and it turns off every time you touch the brakes. It is "suspended" if you touch the gas pedal, but you need to keep an eye on the adaptive cruise display periodically to make sure it is on.
2. I didn't get HUD, but kinda wished I had. The adaptive cruise (and other features) provide you with lots of info, but you have to look down to see it.
3. Blind spot detection works well, BUT the triangle lights on the mirrors are fairly dim and hard to see in bright sunlight. The steering wheel shaker works great, IF you remember to use your turn signal before switching lanes.
4. Lane deviation system works less well. Often shakes the steering wheel on gentle curves. I have turned it off, since I would prefer to use the wheel shaker cue for blind spot use only.
5. Vent seats are OK, but very subtle. They keep your back dry on very hot days.
6. Active seats (aka butt rumba) work OK but feel really weird. Not my favorite option.
7. Dynamic Handling Package: Not sure it's work the money and complexity, but this is a matter of preference.
8. Nappa leather is very nice.
9. Nav is a big improvement over the E60.
10. I don't have 4 wheel steering or infra-red detection.
Ads by Google
Old 09-20-2010, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535ix/E60 2008 535 XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunafish View Post

A number of people have asked about the numerous options on the F10. After a few hundred miles on my 535i, here are my impressions:
1. Adaptive Cruise: really neat and works really well. Identifies cars & motorcycles in your lane and ignores other lanes well. The only issue is that you become somewhat dependent on it to keep a safe distance, which it does, unless it is turned off...and it turns off every time you touch the brakes. It is "suspended" if you touch the gas pedal, but you need to keep an eye on the adaptive cruise display periodically to make sure it is on.
2. I didn't get HUD, but kinda wished I had. The adaptive cruise (and other features) provide you with lots of info, but you have to look down to see it.
3. Blind spot detection works well, BUT the triangle lights on the mirrors are fairly dim and hard to see in bright sunlight. The steering wheel shaker works great, IF you remember to use your turn signal before switching lanes.
4. Lane deviation system works less well. Often shakes the steering wheel on gentle curves. I have turned it off, since I would prefer to use the wheel shaker cue for blind spot use only.
5. Vent seats are OK, but very subtle. They keep your back dry on very hot days.
6. Active seats (aka butt rumba) work OK but feel really weird. Not my favorite option.
7. Dynamic Handling Package: Not sure it's work the money and complexity, but this is a matter of preference.
8. Nappa leather is very nice.
9. Nav is a big improvement over the E60.
10. I don't have 4 wheel steering or infra-red detection.
Nice input,,,, do you fell a noticeable difference in suspension when adjusting the dynamic handing?
Old 09-20-2010, 01:11 PM

Yes, there is a noticeable difference in the suspension, as well as a tightening of the steering and more aggressive transmission shifting (I have auto). I haven't used Sport or Sport+ modes as much as I anticipated because many of the roads I travel have a lot of potholes. I also have the "Sport" pkg with 19" wheels, and so the ride can get pretty rough in these modes.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
When changing lanes, for the blind spot warning to function do you have to press the turn signal all the way? Or will a three blink press do?
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
When changing lanes, for the blind spot warning to function do you have to press the turn signal all the way? Or will a three blink press do?
A quick 3 blink press will active the wheel shaker if there is someone in the lane.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Great, thanks!
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:08 AM

Thumbs up parking goodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregb10 View Post
Nice input,,,, do you fell a noticeable difference in suspension when adjusting the dynamic handing?
Also, I have PDC and rear camera only. Both are great, I especially like the lines that tell you your car's path before you back up. Obstacle recognition is only so-so.

I also used the automatic parallel parking feature twice. It's really strange to let the car do the steering when you park, but it is easy to use and works perfectly. I wish I had that when I took my driving test
Old 10-03-2010, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535ix
Newbi here with option questions. Just ordered 535ix this weekend.
Anyone have the night vision option. I drive 90 miles a day through the mountains commuting to work. Wife talked me into getting it for the deer and elk. I'm having second thoughts because it seems like a toy that likely won't work as well as it sounds. Anyone have any experience with it? Still not to late to change it, but probably need to change it tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: 5 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbi535 View Post
Anyone have the night vision option. I drive 90 miles a day through the mountains commuting to work. Wife talked me into getting it for the deer and elk. I'm having second thoughts because it seems like a toy that likely won't work as well as it sounds. Anyone have any experience with it? Still not to late to change it, but probably need to change it tomorrow.
I don't have night vision, but the main problem with it is the display on the nav screen. It is difficult to concentrate on the road + monitor the screen at the same time. It has pedestrian detection, but no dear/elk detection.... I can imagine that if you have your wife or a passenger who can watch the screen for you, then it could be useful. They really should have put the night vision display in the HUD like Lexus or Cadillac.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:53 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
I don't have night vision, but the main problem with it is the display on the nav screen. It is difficult to concentrate on the road + monitor the screen at the same time. It has pedestrian detection, but no dear/elk detection.... I can imagine that if you have your wife or a passenger who can watch the screen for you, then it could be useful. They really should have put the night vision display in the HUD like Lexus or Cadillac.
I think the night vision display on the new system does comes up on the HUD.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:44 AM
Qualityhound

Mein Auto: 2011 535Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbi535 View Post
Newbi here with option questions. Just ordered 535ix this weekend.
Will have 535Xi delivery late this week, so I can't help with your ordering decision. However, I ordered night vision for exactly the same reasons - deer, as I travel 130 miles RT each day in Minnesota. FLIR, BMW's night vision system supplier has great technology, which I previewed at a trade show, so I'm expecting it to be excellent. The option price seemed reasonable considering what a deer will do to a car.