Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: DINAN Z3 3.0,535i,MINI
I still have an undamaged HVAC control unit and intend to keep it that way.

Lesson 1:
Be patient and don't force the Heater Control Knob to move if it doesn't want to.
Lesson 2:
Let everything warm up (especially in cold climates)
Lesson 3:
Gradually ease the Heater Control Knob toward the desired position.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:52 AM
The Anti-Rice

Send a message via AIM to Mpire Send a message via MSN to Mpire Send a message via Yahoo to Mpire
Mein Auto: S54 M Coupe x2, M52 Z3
Gentle but steady pressure and it usually lets go after a moment or two. Trying to force it will just snap the plastic pieces throughout the system.

There are two gaskets in the ETK.

Part Number: 64111370936 $24.34

Part Number: 64111370937 $26.34

However, looking at it carefully, I don't see a way to replace the gaskets without taking the air box out of the dash, and thats just too much work to fix this problem.

Also, I don't think these gaskets are the ones that are sticking, although the first one may be the one the door is sticking to. I am not sure.

The airbox itself

64518398742 $1,115.91

Is just too expensive to warrant buying a new one for the gaskets.

This is the air duct that goes to the top and side vents, not much to it...

1999 Estoril / Estoril Coupe

Sunroofs are for girls.

Last edited by Mpire; 12-23-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 z3 2,5
Hi, I found this thread really interesting. I bought my 2001 Z# 2.5 last April and it's been in storage in Ocala FL since. In February I'm going up (I'm living on a Caribbean Island at the moment - I - I know pina colatas on the beach every day,etc. - watch out what you wish for.) Anyway, I'm going up for a few days next month to drive it. Can't wait. When last I drove it I was on AC and it worked fine but the knobs seemed pretty limp if I remember rightly. I'm a pretty good amateur mechanic ( rebuilt a Corvair engine from scratch once). If the heater control needs the repair shown in Randy Forbes' excellent write up I'd like to do it if it's not going to take more than a hour or too. If it's likely to turn into a project I'll defer it. I have limited time and I don't want to spend it working on the car. I want to drive, drive, drive. The one thing missing from the thread is how to get at the back of the HAV panel. Take out the radio and then what? The car has the genuine imitation wood panel in pristine condition that I don't want to screw up. After the radio is out, (How do you do that, incidentally?) are there clips that can be reached from the inside to free the HAV controls? I probably sound pretty dumb but I don't have the car here to look at. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:16 AM
The Anti-Rice

Send a message via AIM to Mpire Send a message via MSN to Mpire Send a message via Yahoo to Mpire
Mein Auto: S54 M Coupe x2, M52 Z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller 1000 View Post
Hi, I found this thread really interesting. I bought my 2001 Z# 2.5 last April and it's been in storage in Ocala FL since. In February I'm going up (I'm living on a Caribbean Island at the moment - I - I know pina colatas on the beach every day,etc. - watch out what you wish for.) Anyway, I'm going up for a few days next month to drive it. Can't wait. When last I drove it I was on AC and it worked fine but the knobs seemed pretty limp if I remember rightly. I'm a pretty good amateur mechanic ( rebuilt a Corvair engine from scratch once). If the heater control needs the repair shown in Randy Forbes' excellent write up I'd like to do it if it's not going to take more than a hour or too. If it's likely to turn into a project I'll defer it. I have limited time and I don't want to spend it working on the car. I want to drive, drive, drive. The one thing missing from the thread is how to get at the back of the HAV panel. Take out the radio and then what? The car has the genuine imitation wood panel in pristine condition that I don't want to screw up. After the radio is out, (How do you do that, incidentally?) are there clips that can be reached from the inside to free the HAV controls? I probably sound pretty dumb but I don't have the car here to look at. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
You should just come over to my house, bring some sandwiches and let me fix it for you in 15 minutes.

We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best Z3. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.
1999 Estoril / Estoril Coupe

Sunroofs are for girls.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 z3 2,5
I may just take you up on your kind offer. Don't know quite when I'll be up there yet. Have to go to NM first, then to FL. How do I get in touch with you. Thanks, Miller 1000
Old 12-23-2010, 08:57 AM

Omit

Last edited by kostverloren; 12-23-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpire View Post
You should just come over to my house, bring some sandwiches and let me fix it for you in 15 minutes.

We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best Z3. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.
Mpire, plan on being in Winter park sometime this winter for a week or two, staying 3 mos. in Beaufort SC. It would be nice to stop by and shoot the sh#t for an hour. PM me
if interested.

New wheels, bringing it down south for a shake down cruise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 535xi 130.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	259430