Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i
2012 X5 E70, 72k Miles, High Pressure Fuel Pump replaced after long crank!

Here we go again! The same issues which made me dump my 08 335i are now appearing in my 2012 X5 after just 72k miles! I brought my vehicle in three times for issues with extended crank times. After two software updates and an attempt at a third, I insisted to the service foreman that a software update would not fix the issue a third time and it appeared as though the fuel was not making it to the engine on time.

The dealer unwillingly replaced the HPFP, and bam, back to new again! E70 owners, beware!

Really, what is going on with BMW and these HPFP's? May be my last BMW forever, what you think? Anybody else have this issue on their E70?

Keith
Ads by Google
Old 04-02-2014, 08:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Yes, have heard of some other gas X5 which had similar problems.

Might be a small number for the X5 - not like the 335i which was awful..

I am glad I have had diesels and never had such an issue - my retired 335d was perfect and currently my X5d is just as great.

Next car consider a diesel ???
Old 04-02-2014, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith3679 View Post
May be my last BMW forever, what you think?

Keith
Atleast im not the only one with this quote, haha. I've said it my my previous 550i and now my x5. This time its for real. I don't expect them to last forever, but come on ,30k miles and things start to failed.
As a car enthusiast, this X had made me lost all interest. To the point where i dont even want to wash it as later down few months some **** will break again.

Bmw is a POS! Sorry if I offend this forum. Banned me if needed. But thats the truth. I give up. Goodluck to all owners and many miles to come.

Sincerely,
V8power
Old 04-02-2014, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5
Sounds similar to this issue, which is due to a $20 relay: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d+start&page=2

I hope the pump continues to fix your issue but if not I'd look at the relay first. My 2010 X5 also had the fuel pump replaced but I bought it CPO and it was the original owner that had the work done. I can see it in the history sheet my salesman gave me but I don't know what the actual complaint was. I bought it at 19k miles so the pump failed sometime before that (yikes!).
Old 04-02-2014, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i
Nope, that's a different issue. It always starts, just with a 5s crank time.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5, 2012 MINI ALL4
What would cause the HPFP to go bad?

Do we have to keep the gas tank not to go below half the tank?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535Xd, 2012 X5d
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith3679 View Post
Nope, that's a different issue. It always starts, just with a 5s crank time.
After it starts, does it run perfectly normal and power and MPGs are all OK? If so, I suspect the HPFP did not need to be replaced. It could be something as simple as a small fuel leak somewhere, causing air to get into the system and lose prime after sitting for a while.

When was the fuel filter last changed?

Good luck.

Last edited by n1das; 04-03-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:17 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuc View Post
What would cause the HPFP to go bad?

Do we have to keep the gas tank not to go below half the tank?
The HPFP can be destroyed very quickly by:
- Slugs of free water (from condensation, particularly during winter)
- Gasoline contaminated fuel
- Straight gasoline instead of diesel due to misfueling
- diesel fuel with low lubricity (why I always use an additive to help lubricity).

Fuel up ONLY at high volume / high turnover stations that do lots of diesel business to avoid these problems. Truck stops and busy gas stations along major routes are best. Basically buy your fuel where everybody else does in your area. Go where the big rigs go. Also regularly use an additive such as PowerService Diesel Fuel Supplement (white bottle) to take care of any water, provide lubricity, and have some anti-gel for winter months.

And FWIW, A DIESEL vehicle does not have a GAS tank.

Good luck.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1das View Post
The HPFP can be destroyed very quickly by:
- Slugs of free water (from condensation, particularly during winter)
- Gasoline contaminated fuel
- Straight gasoline instead of diesel due to misfueling
- diesel fuel with low lubricity (why I always use an additive to help lubricity).

Fuel up ONLY at high volume / high turnover stations that do lots of diesel business to avoid these problems. Truck stops and busy gas stations along major routes are best. Basically buy your fuel where everybody else does in your area. Go where the big rigs go. Also regularly use an additive such as PowerService Diesel Fuel Supplement (white bottle) to take care of any water, provide lubricity, and have some anti-gel for winter months.

And FWIW, A DIESEL vehicle does not have a GAS tank.

Good luck.
And FWIW we are talking about a gasoline engine that has a GAS tank so your comment is totally irrelevant...

Now back on topic: I never read a solid explanation on what goes wrong with the HPFP, but the most recent fix for BMW involve a software update that causes the volume pump (i.e. the one in the fuel tank) to prime for longer period of time. The speculation is then that the pump gets damaged by cavitatation resulting from a combination of low pressure on the supply side of the pump and the higher volatility of gasoline.

Some talk about fuel and ethanol and lubricity but the fact that the problem is widespread in other markets too makes it less likely or at least not strictly related to the ethanol requirements of the US

I've never seen pictures of a failed HPFP so it's hard to say.

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Last edited by lpcapital; 04-03-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:46 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post
And FWIW we are talking about a gasoline engine that has a GAS tank so your comment is totally irrelevant...
*SIGHE*

Sorry about that...one of the replies above mentioned diesel and led me to believe we were talking about the HPFP in a diesel. Also all vehicles I own are diesels.

I've been enjoying the smell of diesel in the morning a little too much lately.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:30 AM
pay it forward

Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8power View Post
Atleast im not the only one with this quote, haha. I've said it my my previous 550i and now my x5. This time its for real. I don't expect them to last forever, but come on ,30k miles and things start to failed.

As a car enthusiast, this X had made me lost all interest. To the point where i dont even want to wash it as later down few months some **** will break again.

Bmw is a POS! Sorry if I offend this forum. Banned me if needed. But thats the truth. I give up. Goodluck to all owners and many miles to come.

Sincerely,

V8power

It is a forum and you are entitled to your opinion. I had a nightmare with my 335 but my X has been great thus far.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Old 05-28-2014, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i
Hey all, I am brand new to the site. I have a 2012 X5 that is in for service as I type this for the HPFP issue. I have just about 68K on my X5, started with the long cranks, then the engine malfunction - reduced power code was thrown.

Is anyone else hearing through the net that BMW is extending the warranty of that part to 10 years or 120K miles? Also I was quoted a "dealer only" part for $806.......I know parts aren't cheap but other pumps on the net are $350 or so.

Adam
Old 07-17-2014, 04:44 AM

Mein Auto: e70 lci
i'm also having long crank issue on my 2011 x35i. wondering if it is the HPFP. i can't seem to find whether the n55 HPFP is warranted to 120,000 miles like the n54 or not..