Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 e70
Smile Finally after 6 months and 5 visits, tranny fixed!

Been driving dealer loaners more than my X seems like over last 6 months. I've been experiencing worsening transmission issues and have been fighting an uphill battle to get it addressed.

2011 x5 35i. At around 45k miles I started noticing occasional hesitation, jerking, banging and slipping between 1st gear and 2nd and sometimes 2nd and 3rd. Took it to dealer, they verified concern and stated it was due for a software update for the transmission. Made sense I guess. Picked it up, tranny in learning mode, seemed better. Not long after, problem resurfaced. Took car back 2 months after first visit. This time they said the car was due for a complete software update. Not specifically for the transmission but the whole car? I guess. Now I'm not buying it but gotta go through the motions. Not surprisingly issue comes back. Take it back in and they can't get the car to show the symptoms. Also it has thrown no codes. I pick it up again and start taking mental notes on when the car does it. Turns out it only happens after the car has been driven for prolonged periods in stop and go traffic or across town with lots of stop lights. (guess when tranny has cycled up and down many times) I take it back with these very specific details, that they can't just test drive it after it has sat there overnight and the transmission is cold. They still find no codes and can't make it happen. My guess is they did not drive it long enough with enough stop and go. I argue with them but reluctantly pick up the car again.

Car still doing same thing mostly during after work commute home. Now it's starting to pull the rpm down real low when I come to compete stop. Feels like car is going to stumble and shut off, then rpm jump to almost 2000, i guess stall prevention? I take I take it back to dealer speak with service manager give all details and tell him I'll drive him around myself and show him what it's doing. Anyway he says he'll take care of it. Sounds like torque converter to him. So I get a call a few days ago that they were able to reproduce concern and a new transmission is in route. They sampled tranny fluid found it was burnt, black and full of metal. Picked it up tonight and it drives like a dream.... $10,000 later and I'm a happy man that I bought the extended warranty!
Ads by Google
Old 03-12-2014, 11:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMaker View Post
Been driving dealer loaners more than my X seems like over last 6 months. I've been experiencing worsening transmission issues and have been fighting an uphill battle to get it addressed.

2011 x5 35i. At around 45k miles I started noticing occasional hesitation, jerking, banging and slipping between 1st gear and 2nd and sometimes 2nd and 3rd. Took it to dealer, they verified concern and stated it was due for a software update for the transmission. Made sense I guess. Picked it up, tranny in learning mode, seemed better. Not long after, problem resurfaced. Took car back 2 months after first visit. This time they said the car was due for a complete software update. Not specifically for the transmission but the whole car? I guess. Now I'm not buying it but gotta go through the motions. Not surprisingly issue comes back. Take it back in and they can't get the car to show the symptoms. Also it has thrown no codes. I pick it up again and start taking mental notes on when the car does it. Turns out it only happens after the car has been driven for prolonged periods in stop and go traffic or across town with lots of stop lights. (guess when tranny has cycled up and down many times) I take it back with these very specific details, that they can't just test drive it after it has sat there overnight and the transmission is cold. They still find no codes and can't make it happen. My guess is they did not drive it long enough with enough stop and go. I argue with them but reluctantly pick up the car again.

Car still doing same thing mostly during after work commute home. Now it's starting to pull the rpm down real low when I come to compete stop. Feels like car is going to stumble and shut off, then rpm jump to almost 2000, i guess stall prevention? I take I take it back to dealer speak with service manager give all details and tell him I'll drive him around myself and show him what it's doing. Anyway he says he'll take care of it. Sounds like torque converter to him. So I get a call a few days ago that they were able to reproduce concern and a new transmission is in route. They sampled tranny fluid found it was burnt, black and full of metal. Picked it up tonight and it drives like a dream.... $10,000 later and I'm a happy man that I bought the extended warranty!
Sounds great. I am glad your problem is resolved. Perhaps I should take a second look at that warranty. How long did you have to wait for the new transmission to arrive? I figure it was probably shipped from Germany.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:28 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
... They sampled tranny fluid found it was burnt, black and full of metal ...
Who is the manufacturer of these transmissions anyway? ZF? GM?

Anything similar happening with other car makers? I know GM has a massive problem on their hands with faulty ignition switches ...
BMWCCA #20645
Old 03-13-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycyao View Post
Sounds great. I am glad your problem is resolved. Perhaps I should take a second look at that warranty. How long did you have to wait for the new transmission to arrive? I figure it was probably shipped from Germany.
They called me last Tuesday to say they placed the order for the new transmission and called to say it was installed and programmed this Tuesday. Not too bad.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
Who is the manufacturer of these transmissions anyway? ZF? GM?

Anything similar happening with other car makers? I know GM has a massive problem on their hands with faulty ignition switches ...
You reminded me I need to follow up on this. He said of course the 8 speeds are made by both and he would tell me which one I have but I forgot to ask whenI picked it upi. I'm going to call and see if mine is gm or zf.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: was 530d, is X5d 2011
I am pretty sure that E70 has ZF transmission. BMW used GM e.g. in E39 530d and it turned out that the transmissions were defective (they were replacing the transmissions for some period of time). E60 and F10 have ZF transmissions, so I would assume they do not use GM anymore.

WTB: spare tire kit
Old 03-17-2014, 12:02 AM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
Which extended warranty did you buy? Was it from BMW themselves or was it third party?
Old 03-18-2014, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW X5 XDrive 35D
Thanks for posting this. I am having almost the same problem on my '09 35d. It was at 50K when it started. But it only does it when it has been sitting for a little while, not after driving for a while. Took it two times and they can't find the problem because they say they can't reproduce it. I will tell them about your issue and maybe they can check a little harder. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2014, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 3.0 si
Quote:

Would you mind sharing with me what warranty[/B][/B] you purchased? My 2008 X5 will be out of warranty in a couple of days. Thank you for your time. Sincerely, Michelle
Old 04-16-2014, 10:21 AM

Fidelity
Old 04-16-2014, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 3.0 si
Thank you!!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:30 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:

. He said of course the 8 speeds are made by both and he would tell me which one I have.
Everything Ive read says ZF.

Instead of being honest and saying "Oh, I dont know" he had to lie and say "both" to cover...then he could call back (he didnt) and look like he researched it for you....
Old 07-14-2014, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto:
Hoping you might have some insight on this...driving X5 last night on 495. Had cruise control on. Adjusted speed several times with switch. Tapped brakes and CC switched off as it should. Hit resume button and CC engaged for a moment then shut off. Couldn't get it to come back on...okay so not the end of the world. But here's what happened next...

Just driving along and suddenly it was as if car went into 1st gear or maybe even nuetral. Engine revved to 6000 rpm and message appeared. "Transmission malfunction reduced exceleration drive moderately". I barely got off to the breakdown. Shut car off and restarted. Car drove normally. Until I attempted to use the CC again. About a few miles later same thing happened again. I stopped restarted and again all was normal.

Does this sound like any symptoms you may have had OP?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-15-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeroc321 View Post
Hoping you might have some insight on this...driving X5 last night on 495. Had cruise control on. Adjusted speed several times with switch. Tapped brakes and CC switched off as it should. Hit resume button and CC engaged for a moment then shut off. Couldn't get it to come back on...okay so not the end of the world. But here's what happened next...

Just driving along and suddenly it was as if car went into 1st gear or maybe even nuetral. Engine revved to 6000 rpm and message appeared. "Transmission malfunction reduced exceleration drive moderately". I barely got off to the breakdown. Shut car off and restarted. Car drove normally. Until I attempted to use the CC again. About a few miles later same thing happened again. I stopped restarted and again all was normal.

Nope, my symptoms were totally different. I had hard, jerky shifts from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, especially when the tranny got hot. Also, the rpm dropped really low and the car would shudder when shifting down into 1st when coming to a stop.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:21 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:

Miles? age? Drivetrain? Warranty? Any service? (Tranny fluid?)
Old 07-16-2014, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Miles? age? Drivetrain? Warranty? Any service? (Tranny fluid?)

Out of warranty. 2010 MSport. 67k 3.0 motor. I don't have an answer regarding tyranny fluid but the car was serviced regularly by BMW. It is however not CPO. Car is otherwise in very good shape.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Out of warranty. 2010 MSport. 67k 3.0 motor. I don't have an answer regarding tyranny fluid but the car was serviced regularly by BMW. It is however not CPO. Car is otherwise in very good shape.

Oh, you have a different transmission than mine anyway.