Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 12-22-2003, 01:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 325i Sport
330i Performance Package info from BMW

I know this has been discussed to death, but I told you guys I would let you know if I heard from BMW NA on the performance package questions. Here is the written response from them, as well as the part numbers. I will let you know if I get an answer later in January on the spring dimensions:

Attached please find a spreadsheet containing the part numbers for the 330i with Sport Package and with Performance Package. The numbers are different, as you can see. Regarding the springs, the part numbers are different depending on vehicle equipment level. In other words, two vehicles can have the same suspension with different part number springs installed due to the number of options each vehicle has. Therefore, I have requested information on the spring dimensions from my colleagues in Germany. I do not anticipate an answer until the middle of January due to the holidays. In the meantime, the Excel information should help to dispel rumors. Thanks for keeping me informed.
Attached Files
File Type: doc ZHP vs. Sport pack.doc (20.0 KB, 627 views)
Advertisement
Old 12-22-2003, 01:25 PM
OMGWTFBBQ

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneca
In other words, two vehicles can have the same suspension with different part number springs installed due to the number of options each vehicle has.
Awesome, Seneca!

The spring info is interesting as a general thing.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 12-22-2003, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: Topaz/Black '01 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt
Great info Seneca. Thanks for posting.

I'm not sure how to interpret the sentence that Clyde quoted though. Does that mean the springs are the same with different part numbers, or that the rest of the suspension stays the same but the springs may change depending on the car's other options?

I believe the springs change based on options due to the change in vehicle weight.

Pauca sed matura. [Few but excellent.]
-- Gauss
Old 12-22-2003, 01:32 PM
OMGWTFBBQ

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cenotaph
I believe the springs change based on options due to the change in vehicle weight.
That's my take as well. What would really be nice to know, and hopefully we will find out, is how many variants there are and what the rates are on each of them (for all the 330i ZHP and non-ZHP springs)

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 12-22-2003, 02:17 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ·clyde·
That's my take as well. What would really be nice to know, and hopefully we will find out, is how many variants there are and what the rates are on each of them (for all the 330i ZHP and non-ZHP springs)
There is a crappy yet obviously complex applet in the ETK where you go to look up spring PNs. It'll sometimes change just from having a different stereo in the car. Basically, you check off the options that a car has, and it will spit back the PNs. Unfortunately I've yet to find any actual rate tables to go with these PNs so that information would have to come out of BMW somehow.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:02 PM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz
There is a crappy yet obviously complex applet in the ETK where you go to look up spring PNs. It'll sometimes change just from having a different stereo in the car. Basically, you check off the options that a car has, and it will spit back the PNs. Unfortunately I've yet to find any actual rate tables to go with these PNs so that information would have to come out of BMW somehow.
I believe it depends on how many total "supplements" you've checked off as being in the car. I've played with this several times, and it seems it doesn't matter what supplements you check off, but how many of them you check off that will get the spring part number to go up or down by one in the last digit.

Not sure on this, but that's what it appears to be to me.

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 12-22-2003, 04:16 PM
I reject your reality

Mein Auto: 02 Trulli-Leopard
That sounds like Bangle-speak to me...
Old 12-22-2003, 04:21 PM

Also... That doc says the parts for the front ZSP struts are:

31 31 2 282 043
31 31 2 282 044

ETK says those do not exist.

I think they should be:

31 30 6 757 043
31 30 6 757 044

But it seems the stabilizer bars are the same. That is consistent with my findings as well.

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
Old 12-22-2003, 08:20 PM
Common Sense, isn't

Mein Auto: '04 330i ZHP
I believe Seneca and I are getting information from the same source as I received the same spreadsheet he did (which makes sense since Seneca writes for Roundel...read on). I emailed Roundel's TechTalk columnist (look it up) last week to inquire about this. He got back to me almost immediately to let me know he was on the case and would help in any way he could. It's worth noting that he also handles the Tech Q&A column for Bimmer. Both are great magazines and the tech columns are a must read every month.

After he sent the spreadsheet, which came from BMW NA, I asked him to clarify whether the "stabilizer bars" were the same thing as anti-roll bars. While this may sound like a dumb question, I asked in order to avoid further confusion because different people refer to them using different names (e.g., sway bars, anti-roll bars, etc). OTOH, it might have been that BMW uses the term "stabilizer bars" to refer to something other than anti-roll bars and I wanted to make sure I got my apples and oranges in the right bags. He replied:

"Yes, sway bars are the same. The article was apparently mistaken, but this is likely due to a mistake in factory press information, which frankly is not unusual.

Apparently BMW used spring and shock rates, control arms, suspension geometry, and wheels and tires to facilitate the handling improvement. I believe the steering rack and pinion unit is different as well. But leaving sway bars alone is the German way -- they typically achieve their handling improvements elsewhere
."

Old 12-22-2003, 08:40 PM

Mein Auto: E30, M3, 540i
Here are the part numbers for the shocks & struts from my 2003 330i ZHP. Shocks on the left (pic #1), struts on the right (pic #2).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zhp_shocks.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	23845   Click image for larger version

Name:	zhp_struts.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	23846  
Old 12-22-2003, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Here are the part numbers for the shocks & struts from my 2003 330i ZHP. Shocks on the left (pic #1), struts on the right (pic #2).
Did you swap your suspension out? I wouldn't pull those out just to get pics of part nos...

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
Old 12-22-2003, 09:30 PM

Mein Auto: E30, M3, 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy
Did you swap your suspension out? I wouldn't pull those out just to get pics of part nos...
Yeah, I pulled those things out just for you guys... aren't I nice?

j/k... let's just say Santa stopped by our house early this year. I'll post some pics (and hopefully write up a DIY) soon.

(I'm reluctant to post anything that has to do with track mods on this forum anymore because every time I do I get ridiculed... I have yet to understand why.)
Old 12-22-2003, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Yeah, I pulled those things out just for you guys... aren't I nice?

j/k... let's just say Santa stopped by our house early this year. I'll post some pics (and hopefully write up a DIY) soon.
Nice.... enjoy your new setup! (Whatever it may be... )

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
Old 12-23-2003, 08:09 AM
Jayhawk

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Thanks Seneca! As usual, the guys at Roundel take care of us.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: M3
Thank You Seneca!
Old 12-23-2003, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 760Li + 330i
To sum Up

So to compare with Europe then:

325i and 330i use same shocks
You can choose 3 different ones:

1) Normal suspension
2) Sports suspension (option SA226 )
3) M Sport Package II ( only available as full package ) ( option SA338)

The USA 330i gets option 2 ( Sports suspension) standard

The USA 330i ZHP gets option 3 ( M sport package II)

The control arms are also from the M sports package II

Here in South Africa we only get SA338 ( M Sports Package II ) option if we go through BMW INDIVIDUAL

Hope this clears up things

Old 12-26-2003, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 13 335is, 74 2002, 04 330
At the risk of beating this dead horse one more time, here's more evidence the perf pack and sport pack suspensions are different.

From my Nov production 04 330coupe...

Rear shock 33 52 6 757 045, matching Seneca's Sport #s from NA.
Front Strut 31 31 6 757 043/044 (NA #s 31 31 2 282 043/044 which I believe are actually the same parts, possibly with updated numbers -- since the final 3 digits match NAs)

I can't see front stabilizer number without removing a cover but the rear bar #, as best i can see using a mirror reading backwards with bifocals, the final 6 digits do not match NAs numbers. ?

And my personal seat of the pants observation that the two packages are different--
I drive a performance package at some length, mostly on DC area roads (not smooth). While not at all harsh, the shocks seemed very stiff, giving me a sort of bobble head doll feel... probably would be great on twisty country roads. I drove a new 330Ci, right after that on some of the same roads and while firm, it did not seem quite as stiff.
I drove an 01 Sport Pack sedan also for comparison. That suspension is more compliant than either of the new cars (only 9000 miles on it). BMW stiffened up the 330 suspension in 02, I beleive, and possibly again more recently.
Steering -- the performance pack and 04 330Ci felt the same, quick ratio, same effort, though the perf pack has a little more feel, probably the stiffer control arm bushings. 01 had the 'retrofit' steering which required a little more effort to turn than the new cars, also not as quick a ratio, but a good feel.

Spring color codes - front 'red (or orange) green' and rear 'blue blue blue'

No question the performance package sounds better, at least over about 5000 rpms.