Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 09-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Alter Peter

Mein Auto: 2012 ///M3 LMB/Black
Should we restore this fine car or not ?

Hello Forum Members,

I need some input from knowledgeable fellows like yourself if I should spend about $10,000.00 to restore this fine automobile.

Photos of our Bimmi can be seen here

We still have our 1987 BMW 535is it is a US model we imported it many years ago from the US. The car now has close to 200,000 Miles on the odometer. It is a great driver and we use it once in a while during the week. Here and then it gets a treat for a longer road trip around 300 miles. What can I say the car is a true BMW.

Mechanically she is in great shape, needs about $2,000.00

I made a kind of restoration in 2005 spending about $12,000.00 (Complete paint job, some one took a key and left his mark all around the car) new front and rear bumpers, had all the chrome refurbished, some items replaced. Some mechanical work was also done at the time.

The photos you see in the above link are from 2005 before the work was done. The car needs now 2 new front fenders, the body shop missed a few spots and some paint is starting to bubble some rust under the paint is causing it. The front spoiler needs to be painted, it was not done properly 5 years ago and paint is now peeling.

What do you think? It certainly is a great car, a fantastic driver. I'm wondering if this 23 year old car will some day return the investment. It was to her time very close to the M5.

Your comments and feedback are very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

PS. the car has been from coast to coast in Canada and the USA, it does have great sentimental value as well.

Driving mt 2012 /// M3 LMB & Black Leather Interior Fully Loaded
I drove a Z4 35i across the USA in 2010 & loved it.
Somehow I just had to get back into the /// M3 and so I did.
Ads by Google
Old 10-15-2010, 04:33 AM

Mein Auto: '84 Alpineweiss 633CSi
Hey - beautiful E28, but having owned 3, I can tell you it will not (IMO) return the investment.

As you will have 14000.00 total in work + what you paid for her, the #s just aren't there.

14,000.00 is low mileage, near-concours E28 M5 territory.

I say fix her up like you want her and drive her forever.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Full Blown Euro Addict

Mein Auto: 1985 Euro E24s
Great looking 5er! It looks just like my 87 535is I gave up a couple years ago. Same colors and great interiors, except your 5er is a manual 5-speed. I've been looking for another nice one, but they are getting harder and harder to come by. Good choice in keeping it.
http://hawaiisharks.tripod.com/