Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4
Cool Salvage 2006 750I, need advice!

Hello fellow BMW enthusiasts,
Earlier this year I purchased a 2006 750i at an insurance auction, which leads to my questions: I purchased the car for $18,000 site unseen and took possession yesterday. Upon inspecting the car, here is what I discovered,
1. There is a small dent in the hood near the right kidney shaped grill.
2. The hood is not properly fitting on the car on the left side
3. The car was involved in what appeared to be a minor collision on the front end, only the dent in the hood and missing trim pieces on the front plastic bumper show this.
4. the Navigation System located in the left storage compartment of the trunk has been removed.
So, I do not have the ability to do this type of body work and engine work myself, thus I will be relying on a professional. Should I take this to the repair shop and hope for the best? I have generally had good luck with auctions, but am afraid my luck has run out. I am willing to spend maybe a few thousand dollars, but would rather by a non-salvage if repair bill is expected to rise above that. This car, was intended to be a gift for my wife's 40th birthday . I have 6 weeks to prep the car for my wife or change plans all together. I would really appreciate any insight from anyone who has ever had any of these issues with their car. I am very handy and love working on cars, but the BMW maintenance is all new to me. Thank you. I hope to make a decision based on your feedback.
Torch

Last edited by Torchsr; 11-01-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2010, 11:52 AM

Unhappy Test Drive Notes

I almost forgot. I did briefly drive the car. It started fine, but the RPMs won't go much above 1000 and it is running rough. The fluids look good with proper amounts of radiator fluid, oil, and trasmission fluid. Thanks,
Torch
Old 09-22-2010, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 750i
I would say cut your losses at first thought, but two questions - how many miles on the car? Have you gotten a repair estimate?
Old 09-22-2010, 11:59 AM

Smile 750I Salvage

[B][SIZE="5"]It has 74,000 miles on it

Last edited by Torchsr; 11-01-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:04 PM

Old 09-22-2010, 12:04 PM

I'm selling mine with 82,000 miles - asking 10k more than you paid - with none of the problems you listed. I would say that even at an independent shop you're going to pay around $100 per hour labor. I don't know for sure, but I bet you're looking at $2k in parts to repalce everything that is missing - that means if they need to do 80 hours of labor to repair everything its a wash.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:07 PM

Smile 750i Salvage

I haven't yet asked for a repair estimate, but I am very concerned.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:12 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 745li
well first you need a new navi. plus is ure amplifier missing also? its silver and its located in front of the navi when u open the door. the body work isnt much of an issue but have them check why the car is giving all these error . sometimes its just a bad battery. if the batt is no good it will give you alot of these messages. i just had the same issue and i switched my battery now its all fine. so i would start there
Old 09-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to quarterto8 Send a message via Yahoo to quarterto8
Mein Auto: 04 E65 15 Escalade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchsr View Post
Hello fellow BMW enthusiasts,
Earlier this year I purchased a Z4 and have thoroughly enjoyed it which lead to my decision to purchase a 2006 750i at an insurance auction, which leads to my questions: I purchased the car for $16,000 site unseen and took possession yesterday. Upon inspecting the car, here is what I discovered,
1. There is a small dent in the hood near the right kidney shaped grill.
2. The hood is not properly fitting on the car on the left side
3. The car was involved in what appeared to be a minor collision on the front end, only the dent in the hood and missing trim pieces on the front plastic bumper show this.
4. the Navigation System located in the left storage compartment of the trunk has been removed.
5. The car came with one remote, upon starting the car, I get these advisory lite/warning:
Restraint Systems Malfunction
Engine malfunction
Service Engine Soon
Reduced Power
PDC Malfunction (park distance control)
Cornering lamp Malfunction
BMW Assist Malfunction
6. I tried operating the I-drive system, and it has limited capability, but no radio function, I suppose the radio function went through the missing Nav unit?
7. The spare tire, first aid, cd changer above glove compartment are all missing.
8. Additionally, on the front bumper it appears that one of the parking assist sensors was damaged/missing and there is also a square cover on the right side missing.
9. No airbags appear to have deployed, but the steering wheel cover seems a little loose.

So, I do not have the ability to do this type of body work and engine work myself, thus I will be relying on a professional. Should I take this to the repair shop and hope for the best? or should I try to cut my losses and sell at another auction? I have generally had good luck with auctions, but am afraid my luck has run out. I am willing to spend maybe a few thousand dollars, but would rather by a non-salvage if repair bill is expected to rise above that. This car, was intended to be a gift for my wife's 40th birthday and now I am super worried about how this will all turnout. I have 6 weeks to prep the car for my wife or change plans all together. I would really appreciate any insight from anyone who has ever had any of these issues with their car. I am very handy and love working on cars, but the BMW maintenance is all new to me. Thank you. I hope to make a decision based on your feedback.
Torch
send me pictures of the car. what auction did you purchase the car? i might be interested.
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 745li
i would get ride of it .it sounds like a money pit

Mein Auto: 750li
Yea seems like alot of problems
Old 09-22-2010, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: LOL
Dude don't give up so soon! If you like the car try to estimate the costs and go from there. Could be fun to work on if you have the right mindset
Old 09-22-2010, 12:26 PM

Good point on the battery - get that checked - those are not the typical errors from a low battery though. Take it to a shop that can reset the fault codes - see if they come back. Just unhooking an airbag will set a fualt that will not reset when you reconnect it.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:27 PM

Thanks to all the responses so far. I will try to get pictures uploaded in the next couple of days. My friend just said I could borrow his OBD code detector. I will start there. Thanks for the advice about the battery. I appreciate all the inputs.

Last edited by Torchsr; 11-01-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Don't Judge Me!

Send a message via Yahoo to GiaGiaJa
Mein Auto: Sedan 328i iDrive AT
Pic please... Is it look bad?

Ohhhhh.... The ultimate attraction
"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves." Albert Einstein
Old 09-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto:
With any other car I'd say keep it if you bought it far greater than retail value. But for these cars I'd say get it off your hands asap.
I never shun from a car thats been in a fender bender provided it's around the rear or sides. But front hits I avoid all together - especially on these sensitive bytches.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:17 PM

Smile 750I Salvage

Folks,
Just an update. i just got off the phone with the Mechanic. I am going to take the car over to him on Friday. he will diagnose my engine prblems for up to 1.5 hrs for $85. I will let you know what I find out by next Monday or Tuesday, Sept 27/28.

Last edited by Torchsr; 11-01-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto:
G'luck. Keep us posted.
Personally I woulda have gladly paid double for BMW service to look at it though lol.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj745 View Post
G'luck. Keep us posted.
Personally I woulda have gladly paid double for BMW service to look at it though lol.
Good point, even if and u probably won't go thru beemer dealer, they may give u a better printout of whats wrong with a very hi estimate, but at least you'll know for sure.

Sounds like Kief needs to come out to Cali and go in repair mode on this one

Originally Posted by irokdastar383
the whole damn car is sensitive. its like a chick with a period that never ends!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
Lol...I'm about to go start packing up my tools...I've been really itching to do something like that.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 09-22-2010, 09:57 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
That's the spirit! this would make a great DIY on the forum...

Old 09-23-2010, 12:31 AM

Mein Auto: 745 Li
It doesnt sound that bad __your parts are going to cost you some money. Like the NAV, CD changer in glove box, but once you run the diagnostic everything will be more clearer. The cosmetic work maybe around $2500/$3000 for the hood work and sensor replaced plus trim (hopefully no damage to the suspension)..
Old 09-23-2010, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 97' Estoril M3 Saloon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj745 View Post
With any other car I'd say keep it if you bought it far greater than retail value. But for these cars I'd say get it off your hands asap.
I never shun from a car thats been in a fender bender provided it's around the rear or sides. But front hits I avoid all together - especially on these sensitive bytches.
Actually rear hits on these cars are far worse to deal with than a front

Alot of electronics run through the back of the car. It's also easier to replace fenders than rear quarter panels.

To the OP I would cut my losses and sell. You could still have problems potentally creep up from time to time in the future. To me it's not worth it if you can just pay a little more and not deal with it.

00 M Roadster Estoril
97 M3/4 Estoril
03 745Li Black Saphire

Last edited by Fast1; 09-23-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto:
You may be right about rear being bad, but I really doubt that rear hit would be worser than the front.

OP, still have the car or you waiting for Keif? lol

Last edited by Guest091814; 09-23-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:19 AM

Send a message via MSN to quarterto8 Send a message via Yahoo to quarterto8
Mein Auto: 04 E65 15 Escalade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keif View Post
Lol...I'm about to go start packing up my tools...I've been really itching to do something like that.
i can have it towed over for a cheap rate and lets start cracking!