Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: X1 23D
My X1 in UK

Here's a couple of pics of my X1

I got:
X1 23D
Design Pack
Comfort Pack
Harmon Kardon speakers
USB Interface
Folding Mirrors
Comfort Access
Xenon Lights
18" Y-Spoke Wheels
Cruise Ctrl with Brake

I'm kicking myself at not getting the bluetooth phone interface for 210 as retrofitting it will cost twice as much. Plus I wish I'd got the storage pack too as I miss having netting and hangers in the boot as I did with my old Octavia.

Overall I get about 36mpg after having driven it 550 miles so far. I'm really impressed with the performance and after having read reviews slagging off the interior as 'low rent' can say that with the design pack it is very 'high rent'. There's leather trim everywhere and the wood really sets it off nicely. There is a bit where the gearbox console meets the main raido console which could have been done better but that's my only niggle.

The speakers are excellent and the cabin noise is very low up to about 85mph (but the UK limit is 70 mph so you should never find this out!).

Last edited by danielanthony; 06-21-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to mrbelk
Mein Auto: 07 335i/6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielanthony View Post
Here's a couple of pics of my X1

I got:
X1 23D
Design Pack
Comfort Pack
Harmon Kardon speakers
USB Interface
Folding Mirrors
Comfort Access
Xenon Lights
18" Y-Spoke Wheels
Cruise Ctrl with Brake

I'm kicking myself at not getting the bluetooth phone interface for 210 as retrofitting it will cost twice as much. Plus I wish I'd got the storage pack too as I miss having netting and hangers in the boot as I did with my old Octavia.

Overall I get about 36mpg after having driven it 550 miles so far. I'm really impressed with the performance and after having read reviews slagging off the interior as 'low rent' can say that with the design pack it is very 'high rent'. There's leather trim everywhere and the wood really sets it off nicely. There is a bit where the gearbox console meets the main raido console which could have been done better but that's my only niggle.

The speakers are excellent and the cabin noise is very low up to about 85mph (but the UK limit is 70 mph so you should never find this out!).
Very nice.

My wife is very hopeful that the X1 will be available in the US come next spring/summer.

How do you find the interior plastics, especially the bit below the trim around the glove box door and also the instrument cowl. We were both fairly disappointed in those when we "felt" the X1 they had on display at the Welt when we were there a couple weeks ago. We love the interior design; but were unimpressed with those materials choices.

-MrB
(ED 5/7/07) '07 335i/6sp TiAg/Lemon, Trip Journal
(ED 4/18/05) '05 X3 3.0 Blue Water/Black, Trip Journal
(ED 4/28/04) '04 545i Silver Gray/Beige
Old 06-21-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelk View Post
Very nice.

My wife is very hopeful that the X1 will be available in the US come next spring/summer.

How do you find the interior plastics, especially the bit below the trim around the glove box door and also the instrument cowl. We were both fairly disappointed in those when we "felt" the X1 they had on display at the Welt when we were there a couple weeks ago. We love the interior design; but were unimpressed with those materials choices.

-MrB
I haven't had a problem with anything feeling cheap. I had looked around Mitsubishi Outlanders, LR Freelanders and VW Tiguan's and I feel that the X1 trim is the best (with the design package). Maybe if you get a low spec one the trim might not be so great, there are a lot of options to go for, but I definitely get that premium feel with the interior option I took.

Specifically the glove box is well built but small, I can just put the service manual in there and not much else. The box where the satnav would be is also well put together, with rubber flooring to stop things moving around. The instrument cowl is also well done IMO, there is a visible join from where the gearbox housing meets the centre console where the radio lives but it is nothing major.

I was a bit worried about the reviews online about the interior trim, indeed the demonstrator I drove did not inspire confidence but I knew I wanted the design package with the leather sports seats, leather and wood trim and deisgn mats. It looked a million times better than the standard cloth/matt trim and everything is solid. My old car was an 06 Octavia (VW built) and was voted one of the best cars by What Car? I think my X1 is much better put together :-)
Old 06-21-2010, 09:26 AM

Send a message via MSN to mrbelk
Mein Auto: 07 335i/6sp
Quote:
I haven't had a problem with anything feeling cheap. I had looked around Mitsubishi Outlanders, LR Freelanders and VW Tiguan's and I feel that the X1 trim is the best (with the design package). Maybe if you get a low spec one the trim might not be so great, there are a lot of options to go for, but I definitely get that premium feel with the interior option I took.

Specifically the glove box is well built but small, I can just put the service manual in there and not much else. The box where the satnav would be is also well put together, with rubber flooring to stop things moving around. The instrument cowl is also well done IMO, there is a visible join from where the gearbox housing meets the centre console where the radio lives but it is nothing major.

I was a bit worried about the reviews online about the interior trim, indeed the demonstrator I drove did not inspire confidence but I knew I wanted the design package with the leather sports seats, leather and wood trim and deisgn mats. It looked a million times better than the standard cloth/matt trim and everything is solid. My old car was an 06 Octavia (VW built) and was voted one of the best cars by What Car? I think my X1 is much better put together :-)
That's encouraging to hear. The X1 at the Welt was a "stripper" 1.8d, so it must have just been because of that that the interior felt a little "cheap."

-MrB
(ED 5/7/07) '07 335i/6sp TiAg/Lemon, Trip Journal
(ED 4/18/05) '05 X3 3.0 Blue Water/Black, Trip Journal
(ED 4/28/04) '04 545i Silver Gray/Beige
Old 06-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
How's the ride? Early reports have it being very agile and sporty typical for a BMW, but the ride over imperfect roads (which I'm sure are easy to find in the UK) could be a bit rough. True?
Old 06-21-2010, 03:06 PM

Yeah the ride is good on smooth roads, you can put your foot down and overtake easily, plus it's pretty nimble for a big car. As it's 18" run flats, it can get a bit bouncy on bumpy roads, luckily the sports seats are comfortable so balances this out a bit.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Powder Days

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
Quote:
Yeah the ride is good on smooth roads, you can put your foot down and overtake easily, plus it's pretty nimble for a big car. As it's 18" run flats, it can get a bit bouncy on bumpy roads, luckily the sports seats are comfortable so balances this out a bit.
Very nice looking but OH NO, the dreaded Run Flats!!!

Cheers

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper
Old 07-13-2010, 02:52 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is, 2015 X1
My wife is hoping to have one of those in our drivway soon afetr they hit the U.S. I love the look of yours with that color combination. I would probably get something along the same lines as yours, except of course I would have them put the steering wheel on the correct side.

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio. 2015 BMW X1 28iXdrive M Sport, LeMans Blue, with Black Dakota leather, Premium and Technology packages, with heated seats, satellite radio.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:46 AM
archrenov8

Mein Auto: '08 X3 since April '08
So I am seeing just one cupholder in the center console. Is there anything else in the dash, or just in the door pockets? Not looking to be a typical cupholder-obsessed American, but maybe I am.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by archrenov8 View Post
So I am seeing just one cupholder in the center console. Is there anything else in the dash, or just in the door pockets? Not looking to be a typical cupholder-obsessed American, but maybe I am.
The standard model has a single cupholder in the centre (sliding centre armrest is optional). If one orders the Storage Package, there will be a second cupholder that protrudes from the dash (think 1er with navigation or 6er), along with the rear armrest which includes 2 additional cupholders.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328cic and Mercedes
Your steering wheel appears to be on the wrong side.

Beautiful car, musing about obtaining one a year from now...

eek! She's home! In my garage!

Hannah Belle crosses the Alps - the photos

Hannah Belle crosses the Alps - the blog