Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 12-23-2003, 04:48 AM
Bayerische Motoren Werke

Mein Auto: '14 X5 50/ '10 Golf TDI
Help me please with an all of a sudden steering issue

All of a sudden I have a steering issue with my 2002 330ci sport package(build date April 2002). Please help me, Ill give as much detail as possible.

Drove to work yesterday and everything was fine. Get in the car to go home and even when I first started leaving the parking lot I noticed something seemed odd with the steering. It seemed lite almost like driving a grand marquis or something, not like my bmw with its heavy and sporty feel.

Its almost like it has power steering now. And it doesnt react normally, like if I jerk the wheel to the right or left really fast and back to center, nothing happens, normally the car would react immed to this. And at higher speeds it seems to float and also react to road camber, with the wheel turning sharply to one side when slowing down. It does still track straight though, and the wheel is centered.

Now I've had this car for over a 1 1/2 and this all of a sudden just happened. Car has 25k miles on it. I checked tire pressure and its the same as I always run it. Only work Ive ever had done on car is 1st maintenance and that was back in May. Havent hit any bumps or had any recent problems, this just all of a sudden happened. I mean the car was absolutely fine when I drove it to work, no problems. 9 hours later I hop in and all of a sudden this problem. Only recent thing was an automatic car wash this past weekend, maybe something there to the undercarriage?

Anyway, I read some other threads, and do notice a noise sometimes almost like the noise the passenger mirror makes when it goes up and down when shifting in and out of Reverse. I dont think Ive noticed this before. Could this be a problem with the steering pump? I would think a problem with the steering pump would cause a heavier feel not a lighter feel. Could the steering pump be overboosting or something? I really have no idea about this stuff. Tierods, control rods, I have no idea what they are or if that could be the problem. Help me please.

Anyway, any help you could give would be great, I want to be able to suggest some things to the dealer to make sure it gets fixed properly the first time. I want my ole bmw back not the grand marquis i have now.

Gone but not forgotten:
2012 550I xDrive GT
2009 X5 35d
2007 335i European Delivery with Performance Center Re-Delivery * ED May 4, 2007 Link to ED Trip Report / PCD July 5th, 2007 Link to Performance Center Re-Delivery Trip Report
2007 X3 European Delivery with Performance Center Re-Delivery
2002 330ci, 1997 328i, 1990 325i

Last edited by The BoatMan; 12-23-2003 at 05:26 AM.
Advertisement