Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 11-14-2010, 09:14 AM
BMW Alpina Enthusiast

Mein Auto: Alpina B7
Quote:
Originally Posted by huanjf View Post
My Dinan update and review:

Dinan did not give me an additional discount for my trouble only "local" dealer waived the labor charge. They did it for $2399 + tax out the door.

I had mine done Friday afternoon. As I am the first F01, F02 that my "local" dealer has ever dealt with, so there are some issues with the software downloading cable compatibility, they had a wrong ethanet cable to begin with, which won't download software, went out got a new one that worked eventually. But I have to wait more than 2 hrs. for the whole thing.

After getting the car back, I did feel the car is lighter. I don't know if it is my mind playing the trick or what. My highway experience was just so so, not black and white difference. That day traffic is an issue, unable to fully press the car. Since this car is already fast, so I don't really feel that much of the difference, maybe I need to drive more to feel it.

So, since I don't feel that much of the difference, how can I tell that the dealer really got the job done and get the job done right, other than a piece of invoice showing the painful balance?

There is another thing that dealer warned me about the software upload. For your future services, if there is any software upgrade to your car, it will overwrite the Dinan software, and you need to go to your Dinan dealer to redownload your software, it will be free but it will be really inconvenience for those who live far from Dinan authorized dealer like me.

For me the total experience is not worth of the effort and money now, maybe I will change my mind one day after smoke a MB AMG. Share your experience guys!
To make sure you need to Dyno your car.
I am sure there are some tuning shop that had dyno facility in your area.
and it should not be expensive.
You know, just to make sure that you do indeed got your software upgraded to Dinan...
Old 11-14-2010, 09:27 AM
UNCBimmer7

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Alpina View Post
To make sure you need to Dyno your car.
I am sure there are some tuning shop that had dyno facility in your area.
and it should not be expensive.
You know, just to make sure that you do indeed got your software upgraded to Dinan...
Thanks for the advice. Only Dyno facility can do this? They are kind of far from where I live.
Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster Nappa, Camera pkg, Convenience pkg, Driver Assistance pkg, Lux Seating pkg, Premim sound pkg, 19 Wheels/Performance RFT, Leather Instrument Panel, NightVision, Head-up Display, Satellite Radio
Old 11-14-2010, 09:33 AM
BMW Alpina Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Only Dyno facility can do this? They are kind of far from where I live.
Yes, because if you go to a dyno facility,
they will be able to print out your real horsepower reading from your rear.
Please note there will be some driveline losses,
so if your Dinan quote 500hp, that mean on the dyno, your car should
put at least 80% of that or around 400 horsepower.
and if the dyno show your car only put around 320 horsepower,
that mean your ECU had not been updated with the dinan software and still stocks.
Arm with this print out (chart and number for both Horsepower and torque),
you can easily argue for refund with your BMW dealer.
but if you just came to them and ask for software checking,
they could easily say they already did that...
or if you go to another BMW dealer and ask for them to scan your ECU,
than the first BMW dealer where you install your dinan
could blame that second BMW dealer for accidentally erase your Dinan software and wrote it back with the factory original software...
you know the usual BS...

Dyno do not lie.
if necessary, take two 2 different dyno facilities,
then you contact Dinan first to tell them what happen.
so when you go to your BMW dealer that install your Dinan,
the Dinan Head Office already knew your problem...
of course this is assuming your feeling is correct that
the car still have the same horsepower...

oh another thing to watch is your engine temperature gauge.
Does it go up higher then usual ?
because some other owner here report their car engine temperature
goes up after they install the Dinan software on their car.
This is normal since your turbo is working harder now.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:32 AM
UNCBimmer7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Alpina View Post
Yes, because if you go to a dyno facility,
they will be able to print out your real horsepower reading from your rear.
Please note there will be some driveline losses,
so if your Dinan quote 500hp, that mean on the dyno, your car should
put at least 80% of that or around 400 horsepower.
and if the dyno show your car only put around 320 horsepower,
that mean your ECU had not been updated with the dinan software and still stocks.
Arm with this print out (chart and number for both Horsepower and torque),
you can easily argue for refund with your BMW dealer.
but if you just came to them and ask for software checking,
they could easily say they already did that...
or if you go to another BMW dealer and ask for them to scan your ECU,
than the first BMW dealer where you install your dinan
could blame that second BMW dealer for accidentally erase your Dinan software and wrote it back with the factory original software...
you know the usual BS...

Dyno do not lie.
if necessary, take two 2 different dyno facilities,
then you contact Dinan first to tell them what happen.
so when you go to your BMW dealer that install your Dinan,
the Dinan Head Office already knew your problem...
of course this is assuming your feeling is correct that
the car still have the same horsepower...

oh another thing to watch is your engine temperature gauge.
Does it go up higher then usual ?
because some other owner here report their car engine temperature
goes up after they install the Dinan software on their car.
This is normal since your turbo is working harder now.
No, the temp. gauge almost the same, maybe just a tiny tiny higher, never went over 250. The engine works harder only over certain RPM right? If I don't push the car, the engine should work the same as before as I understand, Lets say under 2000rpm. I realy didn't have a chance to make the car run over 3500rpm or more for a long period of time. In my neck of the wood, with all the patrols around, I need get myself a nice detector first.
Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster Nappa, Camera pkg, Convenience pkg, Driver Assistance pkg, Lux Seating pkg, Premim sound pkg, 19 Wheels/Performance RFT, Leather Instrument Panel, NightVision, Head-up Display, Satellite Radio
Old 11-14-2010, 10:40 AM
BMW Alpina Enthusiast

Quote:
No, the temp. gauge almost the same, maybe just a tiny tiny higher, never went over 250. The engine works harder only over certain RPM right? If I don't push the car, the engine should work the same as before as I understand, Lets say under 2000rpm. I realy didn't have a chance to make the car run over 3500rpm or more for a long period of time. In my neck of the wood, with all the patrols around, I need get myself a nice detector first.
Hi,
from my personal view, a good engine tune should already make the engine work harder (more optimized to it's true potential) from lower rpm.
because if you only have the engine produce much power over certain higher rpm, then the throttle response would not be linear, and the car would be jumpy.
but I agree with you that the engine will endure much more stressed at higher rpm.
so the temperature should go higher when you really push the car.

Last edited by BMW Alpina; 11-14-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah3127 View Post
I am new on here so hello BMW enthusiasts! I was thinking about getting the Dinan ECU flash for my 2009 BMW 750i. I was about to go ahead with it but found that ESS released some wild numbers for their flash. The numbers are nice but concerning. I snipped and pasted it below:

"ESS tuning software takes the 4.4l twin turbo to new heights, with breathtaking torque and gobs of silky smooth horsepower. The new V8 TT software gives power where its needed, BMWs line up of vehicles that offer this power plant are larger heavier cars and SUVs that need a increased low end torque to propel them to speed effortlessly and with up to 655 ft-lb ESS does just that!" - www.goodspeedperformance.com

I read elsewhere that the horsepower is up near 525! How is that even possible without further mods on the engine? I was thinking that they must have turned the pressure up to the max, but won't that blow the engine? On the next M, with this same engine, I heard rumors that the pressure will be up to 21, but I'm sure the M will have heavy mods. I would even like Dinan to comment on this one. What did ESS do to be able to claim that level of gains with just a flash? If I find out more I will post it on here.

I wonder why it says its available for only 2010 and up? Maybe a typo?

Last edited by AP24LA; 11-14-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: 07 Acura MDX
I would question if the software was downloaded correctly. After my upgrade the difference was very noticeable at any RPM.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:57 PM
UNCBimmer7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdk View Post
I would question if the software was downloaded correctly. After my upgrade the difference was very noticeable at any RPM.
Is your car running hot? Where is it sitting on the temp Gauge? Thanks
Old 11-14-2010, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: 07 Acura MDX
Car is not running hot, but outdoor temperature has been averaging 10 to 20 degrees cooler since I got the upgrade than it was prior.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 750li
Update -

Days after doing the upgrade, a warning came up said, "Engine Malfunction, Reduced power." I immediately thought it was due to the tuning but it was actually the engine misfiring on two cylinders. Brought it in for service, informed my SA about the tuning so they could tune it again if they needed to. They did an oil change and an alignment (had both front tires replaced after 31k miles!) and the car drives like a dream.

You get pinned to the seat when the car is accelerating and you are in the triple digits within seconds. Put the car in sport mode and it transforms into an S63 killer. I still haven't dared to put the car in Sport +.

Local city driving has become somewhat of a annoyance because it is very jerky. I think the car could use a brake upgrade at this point, coming to a stop seems like a task now. Highway driving is where the car shines.

The temperature has risen slightly as everyone mentioned, will try to get a picture, but it is not a major issue. It is in the 80's on average now and it does not seem to be affecting the car that much. I am not sure what the case will be in the Florida summertime when the temperatures can reach almost 100 degrees.

Anything else comes up, I will let you know.

Alpine White - Silverstone II Extended Merino Leather - Driver Assistance Package - Executive Package - 20" M light alloy wheels Style 343M - Bang & Olufsen Sound System - M Performance Black Kidney Grille

12 650i / 09 750li / 06 750li / 03 745li / 00 540i

Last edited by hammadurb; 11-25-2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Image resize
Old 11-27-2010, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LIX M sport
Dinan F01/F02

Hi there. newbie.

I read the thread and still not clear....did Dinan get the upgrade straight for the LI? Unfortunately, I was just told that the upgrade still is not approved for the LI X drive. Working with Dinan (trying to) and installer (Karl Troy at European - Charleston, SC) to see if it will work with X drive (and be certified/warranteed).

If anyone can shed any light on this, thanks in advance. I did not see X drive referenced in the thread.

kt2
Old 11-27-2010, 06:28 AM
UNCBimmer7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt2 View Post
Hi there. newbie.

I read the thread and still not clear....did Dinan get the upgrade straight for the LI? Unfortunately, I was just told that the upgrade still is not approved for the LI X drive. Working with Dinan (trying to) and installer (Karl Troy at European - Charleston, SC) to see if it will work with X drive (and be certified/warranteed).

If anyone can shed any light on this, thanks in advance. I did not see X drive referenced in the thread.

kt2
Dinan upgrade is only good for 750i and 750Li. No X drive. I did mine couple of weeks ago, Mine is a straight Li
Old 11-27-2010, 06:39 AM

thanks, hopefully X will come soon. karl.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: Cayenne TurboS, BMW M5 S2
I talked to Dinan in late October and was told they will definitely have it for XDrive, probably November or December; that sounded optimistic. I plan to call them again soon for a progress report.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:25 AM

Thanks, Copasetic - you made my day!

The RDsport and ESS Tuning stuff does not look as strong as the Dinan possibility. Did you check those options out?

I've left messages for Dan and Scott at Dinan and haven't heard anything back. They were looking for a download from an X drive and my tuner guy wanted me to drive 3 hours to Charleston, SC. He was going to do an upload from my ECU specs and off-load them to Dinan for review. Maybe they already got a hold of a car.

Please let me/us know if you hear anything and thanks, again! Karl
Old 11-27-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Copasetic - you made my day!

The RDsport and ESS Tuning stuff does not look as strong as the Dinan possibility. Did you check those options out?

I've left messages for Dan and Scott at Dinan and haven't heard anything back. They were looking for a download from an X drive and my tuner guy wanted me to drive 3 hours to Charleston, SC. He was going to do an upload from my ECU specs and off-load them to Dinan for review. Maybe they already got a hold of a car.

Please let me/us know if you hear anything and thanks, again! Karl
Hopefully, Dinan's timeline is accurate. I didn't check out ay others because I have an e39 Dinan M5 and am greatly impressed with Dinan's products, and I don't believe the others have a warranty like Dinan's.
Let us know if you find out anything, also.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:17 PM

Hi - just to clarify - we're talking about 2 different engines, right? The 750LIX engine is an N63, which is different than yours, correct? So, the fact that they may have it ready for your e39 may not help on the N63 time line as I am told about their process. Hopefully, they told you they were going to be ready for ALL Xdrives in 2010!

thanks...karl
Old 11-27-2010, 09:23 PM

Yes, there is no similiarity between my e39 and the current 750 XDrives. My e39 Dinan conversion was done many years ago, before I owned the car.
When I spoke to Dinan in late October, they told me they would have the ECU for the F01 and F02 Xdrive cars in November or December 2010. November's about gone, so let's hope for December.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:05 AM

Copa - thanks for the clarification....I get it. So, are you getting a 2011 750 Xdrive? Sounds like it might be in the works? thanks for the Dinan update - let's hope it is soon.

they are running 20% off software. Do they do this all the time, or is it really special to see a discount? I assume the dealer will discount as well?

regards....karl
Old 11-28-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Copa - thanks for the clarification....I get it. So, are you getting a 2011 750 Xdrive? Sounds like it might be in the works? thanks for the Dinan update - let's hope it is soon.

they are running 20% off software. Do they do this all the time, or is it really special to see a discount? I assume the dealer will discount as well?

regards....karl
That I don't know. Others should chime in.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:12 AM
UNCBimmer7

At least I got mine done for 20% off. Read through the entire tread, you will find more info for this 20% off. Some got charged for labor, some didn't.

Tip: If you are planning on getting your 7 a software upgrade or upload from BMW, do it before doing your Dinan software since everytime you do a BMW software upgrade, it will overwrite your Dinan software. If you are close to your local Dinan authorized dealer, you should be OK, since Dinan will redo your software for free(don't know if the labor charge will be free or not). But if you are like me at least an hour drive, it's such pain in the a$$ to drive back and forth
Old 11-28-2010, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 750li
The 20% off discount is till the end of the year. My total was $2599. There was a charge for $32 for some part. Luckily, my dealership is the authorized Dinan dealer so if they upgrade my software, they just tune the car again.

Alpine White - Silverstone II Extended Merino Leather - Driver Assistance Package - Executive Package - 20" M light alloy wheels Style 343M - Bang & Olufsen Sound System - M Performance Black Kidney Grille

12 650i / 09 750li / 06 750li / 03 745li / 00 540i
Old 12-03-2010, 08:57 PM
TONY LA

Mein Auto: 2009 750i Sport
my friend has an s63 - we raced for a few blocks and it was pretty even...bmw jumped off the line faster but about even...mbz exhaust sounds amazing...
Old 12-07-2010, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 740i Blk/Blk
I wonder if Dinan will have a tune for my 2011 740i. That will be great.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:49 AM
fallen7

Mein Auto: 2010 750i

Hi! I'm new to the forum. Just had my 2010 750i installed with the Dinan stage 1 software upgrade. The dealer told me to have the oil changed every 5000 miles from now on instead of bmw's usual 15000. Anyone heard the same?