Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-03-2015, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 5-series (E39) 2000
Business CD Player problems with PHONE modus

Hi,

I recently got a BMW 520 E39 (year 2000) and I really like the car. The BMW has a so-called Business CD Player (it's written on the CD player) and since yesterday I got problems with it after I cut a wire.

When I first got the car a couple of days ago, the previous owner did something with the wire that goes to the (Nokia) carkit. The cable was attached to another cable and was wrapped in tape. So the cable that comes from somewhere from the car was attached to another cable that belonged (but also got cut off later) to the carkit holder. After I saw this I cut off the wrapped part to make the cable shorter and then put the cable away after wrapping it in tape since I do not use the carkit system.

Today I noticed that my CD player sometimes gets stuck in the Phone modus. Sometimes when I start the car (or switch the ignition to position 1), the cd/radio starts playing while sometimes only some basic controls like speed limit notification stuff works, but no audio at all. Whatever I try, it seems like the CD player is stuck on the Phone modus like this (see the red box - it says "PHONE", I guess):

I tried playing with fuses without any success. The fuse map below shows that the Phone uses the fuses 43 and 44 while the Radio itself uses 25, 43 and 44. So I have no idea how I would disable the phone functionality without breaking the radio. Fuse map:

...and the fuses itself:

So what can I do to completely get rid of the phone functionality? I do not even use it. Is this even possible? I think the Phone cable is grounding with something, but I do not know with what and why.

This is the cable that was taped on something before I cut it:

Do you think that this causes this, because it all happened after I cut this cable? I taped it afterwards so the cables are not "touching" each other.

And this is another cable that comes from the car itself (I guess) and I don't know what it is:

I also played with this weird cable that is connected to the cd player itself (I do not know what it is, but it did not solve my problem):

I really hope that someone will and could help me out here, I'm starting to freak out. I would really appreciate any help. Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,

IC95_a2_
Advertisement