Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-22-2013, 10:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 525i M54 Manual
I have this same issue with my car only that when it gets to an inch from closed whether manual close or automatic. It stops and starts to open it again.

Sent from my XT907
Old 04-23-2013, 07:04 AM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: '98 528i, '82 323i
sounds like the point where it stops and starts again is what the computer is regestering as "home" postion. You may just need to "reboot" the switching.

What I might suggest is to find that "home position", then proceed to manually crank the moonroof all the way closed. Then try using the switch to open and close and see if that
brings yoiur mooroof all the way closed.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:32 PM
retiredat44

Mein Auto: BMW
mine is working fie as far as I know but it is hard to stop it at the exact point of where it is closed and does not start going up... is there some special way of pressing the button so it is auto and you don't have to let go at a certain point .. so it doesn't go beyond that point..

Disabled Veteran:
Old 04-24-2013, 08:31 PM
retiredat44

my sunroof also does not completely close before it starts going up, and will check to see if my toolkit has the hand crank so I can reset it..

2001 530i

Disabled Veteran:
Old 04-25-2013, 01:14 PM
retiredat44

Lightbulb

I found out I wasn't pushiung the button correctly... I tried agin, and found the best way to do it... my fumble fingers were the problem..

Disabled Veteran:
Old 05-11-2013, 10:31 PM

Mein Auto: 540I-6
i have the same problem...when i close the sunroof it stops about an inch. it dosent bounce back, the motor struggles and just stops. i can push the button again to close position and it grinds. also, when i open the sunroof, it does not open fully..needs another quarter to be fully open.
i have attempted to reset the motor in the tilt and close position several times. it has not done anything. im currently trying to remove the sunroof off with the rear portion slightly in the roof....i have no idea how im going to access the 6 screws???
i believe there is something on the tracks preventing full movement of the sunroof. i have clean and sprayed grease on the track...oh and holding the deflector down while closing.

any thoughts from you pros?

i replaced my entire sunroof cartridge last year-i hope not to do it again. thanks!
Old 07-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Quick question. If the car still under CPO, will the CPO cover it? Since its a moving part?
Old 05-13-2014, 11:24 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Another sunroof won't close thread today, for reference:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Sunroof not closing and bouncing back fixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 702ron View Post
Hello everyone. I had the common sunroof problem where it would almost close and bounce back, apparently hitting the deflector. Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I read several threads about the issue and most suggestions were to oil and lube it and to try and reset the sunroof. I tried all of these and got no results, so I just continued the "pushing the deflector down while it closed" method, which was a pain.

So I later decided to inspect all of the clips etc and realized there was an obvious design flaw. Apparently, over time the arms that pull the deflector down when the roof closes actually had bent the deflector just a tiny bit(less than 1/8") so that the arms no longer pull the deflector down enough. This is what was causing the sunroof to hit the deflector to bounce back.

The fix?? Just bend the ends of the deflector UP just a tiny bit. You can do this with your fingers. No tools required. Just bend it a little at a time until the roof no longer hits it when closing. That's it. 2 minute fix. Hope this helps someone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sunroof.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	439523  
Old 06-21-2014, 07:59 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Here's another sunroof issue today ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Slide rail to sunroof. How do you get it out of the rail?

SunroofRepairComp.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiaa View Post
The main slide rail to sunroof on my 2000 528i, how do you get it out of the rail?

I have been trying to get this out with out luck if someone could let me know that would be greatly appreciated.

I tried place the pin in the old slide rail and the plastic broke apart, like all diy videos tell you to do. So now I have to replace the whole deal, which is fine if I knew how to do it?

I have been searching and searching and can not find anyone who is wondering this same problem.

Thanks ahead of time!

Allan

Last edited by bluebee; 06-23-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:11 PM
'00 540i Sport

Mein Auto: 2000 540i
I had the same problem as several of you, the roof would hit the wind deflector when closing and stop. After reading this thread, I lubed the tracks and all the pivot points for the wind deflector. I figured the chances that this would solve the problem were slim, but amazingly it fixed it. I have opened and closed the window probably 20 times since and no problem.