Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 09-29-2010, 12:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 740il
Exclamation 2001 740iL making chugging noise

My 2001 (produced Nov. 2000) 740iL with 86k miles has been making this chugging noise for a few weeks now. It happened a few days after changing the oil (using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w30) and replacing the valve cover gaskets.

The evening it began, I had just replaced the fuel tank pressure valve, but it seems that's likely coincidental. I've heard that it could be the VANOS system. Edwin from Bimmerboard ran a can of Winn's Engine Cleaner (http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/642715) and it seemed to make a difference, but i'm not sure his sounded as bad as mine does, and mine was a very sudden onset. It does have the usual VANOS clatter when starting it.

Could there be a problem with the oil i'm using, or something we might have done while replacing the valve cover gaskets? (they were a pain to get off and back on, but they're not seeping and we didn't hit anything.) I'm not quite sure what to do, would prefer to avoid Alderson BMW (The $tealer in Lubbock, TX.) I don't mind having a mechanic fix it if need be, though.

I do love this car, and i'd prefer not to bail on it, especially with only 86k miles on the clock.

Thanks in advance for your help, everyone. You'd be lifesavers if you'll help me figure this out.

Advertisement
Old 09-29-2010, 03:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 740iL
My only advise is to use heavier oil next time and see if it helps this issue. I'm on a laptop and my speakers aren't any good, but if the valve covers were not sealed, I'd imagine that the car would be sputtering and probably throw a code. Is the engine running rough? Synthetic oil flows very easily and 5w-30 is some pretty thin oil. I run the factory 15w-40 in mine and the motor doesn't seem to have any trouble with it.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 740il
The engine doesn't seem to be running abnormally rough. I may just be freaking out because this car's been babied (not quite a trailer queen, though) and it's making this noise. Seems that a lot of people say that the VANOS is what's causing the noise.