Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 09-29-2010, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E46 M3 COUPE
Question E46 m3 coupe smg2 problems

Hi, sorry to be a pest but i have a problem!

I have a 2002 E46 m3 with an smg2 gearbox and when only in heavy traffic in 1st an 2nd gear after a while my EML comes
on along with another light i think might be something to do with the gearbox, then shortly after my smg2 box jumps out of
gear but comes back into gear about 5 or 6 secs later!

Soooo I took it to a garage and they checked it over and did a diagnostics check on their computer where nothing came up,
no problems.

I've looked online and most things pointed to the gearbox pump but after speaking to a few people they said if it had been
the pump it would have packed in by now! Which does sound believable i suppose. :/

This has only happened 3 times in the last 3 or 4 months.
As soon as it happens it keeps jumping out of gear until i stop and let it cool down.
Next day the lights are still on but it doesnt jump out of gear and there are no problems with the gears, then within a short
period of time they go off by themselves!?

I was told it might be a good idea to change the gearbox oil so checked it into the garage close by and when they went to
change it they learnt the gearbox oil is not supposed to be changed and it is long life and for the life of the car?!

I have read posts that points to different things like, relays, hydraulic oil for the shift change or something, actuators and a
couple of other things that have confussed me completely!

I wonder if anyone else can please help me with this or if anyone has any experience in anything like this!
I want to sell it but don't want to sell a car with problems!

Thank you all for your time!

Last edited by smgkid; 09-29-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to synenergy52
Mein Auto: 330i
try bimmerforums

Cooling System Guide
Dayco 89133 Mechanical Tensioner Pulley