Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 08-10-2005, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: ?
Don't buy ICE LINK IPOD adapter!!!

I love my IPOD and decided to have it installed to my stereo so I ordered an ICELINK for my 03 m3. Had it installed proffesionally and all the suddedn electronics in my car start going bad on by one. Turn signals, then AC, then power windows and moon roof, then my dash goes out. Then my doorlocks stop working. pretty much nothing worked in my car and I had BMW look at it and they could'nt figure it out. I then realized I had my IPOD installed 2 weeks ago and so I had it taken out and everyhting works fine now. I realize that it might very well have been the installers fault but I don't care. I will never let an ICELINK within 2 miles of my car again.
Ads by Google
Old 08-11-2005, 12:05 AM

Mein Auto: 98 M3/4, 05 M3 ZCP
It's gotta be either the installer's fault or a bad IceLink unit.

I've got two 3-series with them, and they're perfect. Once you get a hold of tom@densionusa.com, you will be in good hands.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 20014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenobot
I do not think it is either. I ran into similar problems as described in this thread. It has to do with the I-Bus being sensitive to bad connections. Several of us has posted on this issue and it also has nothing to do with non-OEM equipment being installed since 1 person that posted said he had an OEM changer. Since I had the problem in November it has not resurfaced and I have continued to enjoy my Alpine MP3 changer. It is just a matter of disconnecting and reconnecting and you should be set.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: E36 M3
Sorry you had so much trouble. I have it in my car and it's been great since day one. A lot of people I know that have Ice Link love it too. Maybe there were some bad ones shipped?

Did you call tech support or talk to Tom from Icelink before your public outcry for a boycott?
Old 08-11-2005, 08:32 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Sorry you had so much trouble. I have it in my car and it's been great since day one. A lot of people I know that have Ice Link love it too. Maybe there were some bad ones shipped?

Did you call tech support or talk to Tom from Icelink before your public outcry for a boycott?
Old 08-11-2005, 01:50 PM
OEM CSL Whoore

Send a message via AIM to daytonaviolet Send a message via MSN to daytonaviolet Send a message via Yahoo to daytonaviolet
Mein Auto: 2004 E46 M3
yup.. bad installer or icelink. since you got your car working normally again without the icelink, why not request another one from Dension.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:25 AM
european auto source

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenobot

I've got two 3-series with them, and they're perfect. Once you get a hold of tom@densionusa.com, you will be in good hands.
I am no longer with Denson USA, but am still available for assistance.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:26 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb43
I love my IPOD and decided to have it installed to my stereo so I ordered an ICELINK for my 03 m3. Had it installed proffesionally and all the suddedn electronics in my car start going bad on by one. Turn signals, then AC, then power windows and moon roof, then my dash goes out. Then my doorlocks stop working. pretty much nothing worked in my car and I had BMW look at it and they could'nt figure it out. I then realized I had my IPOD installed 2 weeks ago and so I had it taken out and everyhting works fine now. I realize that it might very well have been the installers fault but I don't care. I will never let an ICELINK within 2 miles of my car again.
There could be a number of issues relating to your issue from simply not disconnecting the battery to a faulty module or wiring harness. Did you try to contact tech support to resole the issue beforehand?
Old 08-12-2005, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: E36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G.
I am no longer with Denson USA, but am still available for assistance.
I hope you have moved on to better things . Thanks for all your support!
Old 11-07-2005, 04:56 AM
Jas

Mein Auto: -
Woah Snap!!!

hey Ryan i had EXACTLY the same problem. electrics went absolutely nuts and they have now put in a new BMW ipod adapter which i must say flat out sucks. goes dormant after you return to the car from turning it off in the middle of a track and AWFUL background noise / hiss.

Anyway i had to BEG an internet reseller to sell me an icelink in the first place as there was no reseller here in sydney and had my dealer fit it. worked for months fine then nutso! they say its a short in the ice link loom and they spend DAYS and DAYS on it. im lucky not to be hit with a bill for hundreds if not thousands of dollars to diagnose the problem.
jas

heres my thread:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=116196
Old 11-07-2005, 04:57 AM
Jas

Mein Auto: -
sorry should have mentioned, mines an '04 X3
cheers
jas
Old 11-12-2005, 12:32 AM

Mein Auto: 02 330i w/ navi
i had the exact same problem except it was immediate. Mirrors and climate control went absolutely ape****. I had the module pulled out and exchaned and i have an appt with bmw on monday. Not putting the new module in till bmw loosk the car over. Im hoping the new module wont recreate the same problems. Im also out 75 bucks for the install of the 1st one.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:08 PM
2001 M3:Stick, what else?

Mein Auto: ///MMMmmm good
My 2001 M3 acted up after having the Dension Icelink in it for several months.

All of a sudden, my interior dash indicator lights are inoperative and the clicker is silent. Radio either works ok or shows Disabled. Keyless entry is inoperative. Dash seatbelt indicator permanently stays on. Wierdo stuff.

Fortunately, I remembered seeing a thread like this so I pulled out the Dension unit, and immediately everything functions correctly. Plugging it back in returns the flakey electronic behavior. Pulling your Dension if you've got it saved me what was likely to be an expensive hassle diagnosing the problem at the dealership. I'm hoping that Dension can resolve the problem as the Ipod interface was awesome until it wasn't.

- JP
Old 01-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Hydrocarbon Man

Mein Auto: Too slow to name
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinTO

All of a sudden, my interior dash indicator lights are inoperative and the clicker is silent. Radio either works ok or shows Disabled. Keyless entry is inoperative. Dash seatbelt indicator permanently stays on. Wierdo stuff.

Fortunately, I remembered seeing a thread like this so I pulled out the Dension unit, and immediately everything functions correctly. Plugging it back in returns the flakey electronic behavior. Pulling your Dension if you've got it saved me what was likely to be an expensive hassle diagnosing the problem at the dealership. I'm hoping that Dension can resolve the problem as the Ipod interface was awesome until it wasn't.

- JP
*Head scratch*

Makes you wonder what could be going wrong. I would think that it would either be all bad relatively quickly, or be ok.

No problems here as of yet.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Tightrope walking

Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by James

+1

Though I have to admit that it seems that the problem seems more common in M3s than anywhere else.

Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .
Old 01-07-2006, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: 20014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:

- JP
I am not sure if it is related but several of us with Blitzsafe adapters had our electronics go crazy. Fortunately my dealer knew what to look for immediately and did not charge me anything. Once the adapter was disconnected the car went back to normal. The adapter was then reconnected and for the past 14 months I have had no problem. The dealer blamed it on a bad BMW CD changer to Adapter connection.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to greekzilla
Mein Auto: 08 E91; 05 R53
Sorry to hear all your troubles. I just replaced my Icelink which was giving me problems as well. Dension's customer support is horrible. Contact Tom at EAS.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekzilla
Sorry to hear all your troubles. I just replaced my Icelink which was giving me problems as well. Dension's customer support is horrible. Contact Tom at EAS.

Horrible tech support is correct. I've opened a trouble ticket on Jan 7. No contact yet on January 18. I notice that support phone numbers are sparse (non-existent?) on their website.

You'd think a company that charges a hefty premium for a fairly simple product could support you.

- JP
Old 01-18-2006, 07:52 AM

After a week of having the icelink module unplugged from the radio, I pulled the radio fuses to reset the radio and plugged it back in. Radio immediately reads DISABLED. Pulling the Icelink restores the radio functionality.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:05 AM
european auto source

Quote:
After a week of having the icelink module unplugged from the radio, I pulled the radio fuses to reset the radio and plugged it back in. Radio immediately reads DISABLED. Pulling the Icelink restores the radio functionality.
Seems like there is a problem with your module, try contacting Dension directly at 562.595.5153.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Old 01-19-2006, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Quote:

My 2002 330i w/Nav just freaked out this morning, after using the IceLink for 6 months or so.

It has always occasionally dumped from iPod mode to the radio... maybe once an hour... but i just lived with that, since correcting it was simply a matter of turning the radio off and back on, and hitting the Mode button.

This morning, while on the NJ Turnpike driving through Newark on my way to the city, it dumped to radio again... but I couldn't turn the radio off. My turn signals ceased clicking. The OBC display on the Nav screen was frozen.

I waited until I was in Manhattan, and turned the car off, hoping a "reboot" of the computer would fix the problem. Car would not restart. Doh!

Removed iPod from dock (while blocking midtown Manhattan traffic), and car restarted -- but electronics were still all whacky.

Got to the parking garage, and removed the IceLink from the CD changer connection (was tight... had to use pliers to squeeze the little release lever hard enough to disengage it. Car started up without a problem, and all the electronics were back to normal.

Tom, any suggestions here? I've been running an old version of the firmware, since I didn't want to give up track display on the Nav screen. Could that be part of the issue?

I'll try reconnecting it tonight when I get home, and see what happens.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:58 PM

Well, I disconnected my battery, reconnected the IceLink, reconnected the battery, and started up... same FU'd situation. Seems my IceLink must have spontaneously combusted somehow.

This really sucks... I guess I'll have to contact Dension in the morning.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:03 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
Well, I disconnected my battery, reconnected the IceLink, reconnected the battery, and started up... same FU'd situation. Seems my IceLink must have spontaneously combusted somehow.

This really sucks... I guess I'll have to contact Dension in the morning.
You are more than likely still under warranty. Contact Dension by phone @ 562.595.5153 and they will make the arrangements for a replacement module.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
You are more than likely still under warranty. Contact Dension by phone @ 562.595.5153 and they will make the arrangements for a replacement module.
Thanks Tom.

Do you have any insight as to what causes this failure? It just seems odd after using it for so long for it to just give up the ghost... it's not like there are any moving parts.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:12 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
Thanks Tom.

Do you have any insight as to what causes this failure? It just seems odd after using it for so long for it to just give up the ghost... it's not like there are any moving parts.
Since the part is electrical, it's hard to say. It could be something within the wiring or as simple as a defective module.