Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 09-29-2010, 09:33 PM

Mein Auto: 96 328is
Brake light Circuit Board ??? Bad DME??

I have a 2000 BMW 323i. The drivers side brake light does not work. I took it to a mechanic and he said it is some kind of circuit board with the brake light that is fried. I was told it has to be purchased from BMW and has to be programmed by BMW specific to my car. The cost of $400

They also said my DME is not readable. The check engine light is on and just has error when the codes are read. Anyway these could be related. The car starts and runs fine. after I drive it for awhile with out turning off it will start to miss a little. Does this definitely mean it is the dme. Anyway to tell for sure before i buy a new one?

They guy I bought the car from said the battery was dead and then the check engine light came on the morning I bought it. Could this have caused the DME to not be readable?
Ads by Google
Old 09-30-2010, 08:41 AM

So I have found a place that can reman the DME for about $500, is there any way to definitely pinpoint that the DME is bad?
I also saw dme for sale on ebay some with the ews etc. What would I have to buy to make everything match(frrom the same car) so that I wouldn't have to have mine remaned or replaced from dealer?

The light problem is the light control module on the dash. I have been told that this needs reprogrammed by the dealer and can only be bought from the dealer. Can I buy a used one and have it reprogrammed??
Old 09-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
I've never heard of any reprogramming that must be done to swap out any part of the tail lights. I've only heard this with LEDs, but since your car is a 2000, I highly doubt you fit this exception.

Take your car to your local Autozone and get the codes read for free. Maybe your mechanic is wrong.

Last edited by spencers; 09-30-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:38 PM

Apparently the light switch stores some data like the mileage and something else. It wasn't important stuff and I guess it is more of a backup for the gauge cluster-I have confirmed this with bmw dealership. I can just put any switch in and it should work. Now I have to find out why the circuit board in the switch is fried. I never heard of anything like this either! As for the codes I have an odbii code reader and it just reads error. I used my BMW scan tool and it communicates with everything except the brain which I was told and seen through the posts usually means the dme or brain is bad.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:05 PM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Look again and read the wiki.

Bad taillights usually indicate burnt cluster wiring. The "DME" has nothing to do with it. The "LCM" behind the plate on the dash controls lighting functions and does not throw CEL codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlloyd80 View Post
Apparently the light switch stores some data like the mileage and something else. It wasn't important stuff and I guess it is more of a backup for the gauge cluster-I have confirmed this with bmw dealership. I can just put any switch in and it should work. Now I have to find out why the circuit board in the switch is fried. I never heard of anything like this either! As for the codes I have an odbii code reader and it just reads error. I used my BMW scan tool and it communicates with everything except the brain which I was told and seen through the posts usually means the dme or brain is bad.
If the LCM failed, none of your lights (amongst other misc things) would work...
And no, you cannot put any switch in there without popping a tamper dot, as LCM's must be coded.

Last edited by spencers; 09-30-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:30 PM

Well part of the lcm 's circuit board is fried and they all work except for the drivers brake light. i swapped my friends lcm into mine and it worked