Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Dynamic drive malfunction

I had the message "Dynamic drive malfunction" appearing in I-drive twice while in Europe on my ED. It also had the funny msg "Cornering behaviour reduced" in the instrument cluster and a little picture of a car experiencing body roll. It disappeared with a "reboot" by turning the car off and on. I made Harms write it as a message to VDC and thought it was history since I haven't seen it since re-delivery, that is until today... It came back but disappeared at the next stop-start. I'm going to call service tomorrow and ask if they can see something after the msg clears or if it has to be active for them to be able to analyse.
Anyone else experienced this?
Ads by Google
Old 10-01-2010, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Porsche C4S
Problems make me wonder....

I am starting to reconsider my choice of cars. I ordered the 550ix, but this thread, plus the "Problems" thread below makes me think: is this a good idea. There are too many electronics/ computer run operations in this car, and being the first year of issue, the inevitable gremlines (a la Microsoft operating systems) are scary. Plus the idiotic idea of an electronic transmission selector lever, which is inoperable when the car has no juice left - hence cannot be put into neutral - is annoying and unnecessary. My other option is the S4, which has a manual gear selector and has a very good maintenance record. What do folks think? I would hate to spend $70+k on a car and have to constantly take it to the shop.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: '11 550i
I think the F10 shares lots of components, including dynamic drive with 7 series, which has been around longer, and is built at the same plant. The engine in 550 is also same as in X6 and 750. One can scan the respective threads to see what issues, if any people have encountered.
'06 330i Sport
'06 P Boxster
'02 C32 AMG
'99 328i
Old 10-01-2010, 09:56 AM

Thanks DXK, I did some serches and it turns out that it's connected to ARS and therefore was seen on all kinds of models incl. E60s. The causes seems to vary as leaking ARS hydraulic fluid, faulty control board, faulty sensor etc. I'll book a service appointment.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by kocsis View Post
I am starting to reconsider my choice of cars. I ordered the 550ix, but this thread, plus the "Problems" thread below makes me think: is this a good idea. There are too many electronics/ computer run operations in this car, and being the first year of issue, the inevitable gremlines (a la Microsoft operating systems) are scary. Plus the idiotic idea of an electronic transmission selector lever, which is inoperable when the car has no juice left - hence cannot be put into neutral - is annoying and unnecessary. My other option is the S4, which has a manual gear selector and has a very good maintenance record. What do folks think? I would hate to spend $70+k on a car and have to constantly take it to the shop.
Buy the S4, it is a beautiful car. However, it is not totally free of problems, the water pumps are still self destructing and I've seen a couple of instances where the high pressure fuel rail failed. I was seriously considering the S4 before I ordered my 550 so I researched it extensively. I would bet that the S4 will prove to be more reliable than the new F10 but I'm willing to put up with some reliability issues to drive what IMO is an excitiing sports sedan.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kocsis View Post
Yep, for all the concerns you raise and the fact that I was disappointed after multiple test drives (F10 drives too "large" for me) I went out and ordered an S4. Great car even if it is a little small vs my E60. Saved money too! I'm still a BMW customer as my wife drives a 328xi. But for me, after 13 yrs of driving a BMW, I felt compelled to change - at least for awhile. Good luck in your decision.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I had the message "Dynamic drive malfunction" appearing in I-drive twice while in Europe on my ED. It also had the funny msg "Cornering behaviour reduced" in the instrument cluster and a little picture of a car experiencing body roll. It disappeared with a "reboot" by turning the car off and on. I made Harms write it as a message to VDC and thought it was history since I haven't seen it since re-delivery, that is until today... It came back but disappeared at the next stop-start. I'm going to call service tomorrow and ask if they can see something after the msg clears or if it has to be active for them to be able to analyse.
Anyone else experienced this?
I had essentially the same problem with my new '10 E60 550i, in particular when the car sat in the cold for an extended period of time. It was supposedly fixed after they kept the car for two days and diagnosed (with the "help" of BMW) the problem as a faulty sensor. However, given what I know about Rallye I wouldn't be surprised to see the problem resurface this winter. However, if you have a competent service department it shouldn't be too difficult to fix.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535xi (soon)
My 2007 X5 has had Dynamic Drive Malfunction occur several times during its life. Occurs only when I hit a pothole (thank you New York City) and always resets itself by stoping and starting the engine. Dealership has made several attempts to diagnose the problem but they never turn up a fault. We speculate that it is wheel speed sensor reporting (correctly) that something weird happened to wheel rotation when hitting the pothole and the dynamic drive system interpreting it as a fault of some sort.

This has not put me off including Dynamic Drive in my 535i xDrive that is currently sitting in New Jersey (having been offloaded from the Manon two days late thanks to longshoremen striking for 48 hours ). I just try and avoid potholes (which is a good thing to do anyway).

DAK
Old 10-02-2010, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the info dkerr, I got to say that you are a nice customer. I will not accept anything other than a full fix independent of the cause. I'll lemon it if needed. This is a brand new $60k luxuary car, I'm not interrested in seeing a fat error on my I-drive and my instrument cluster appearing randomly. It's unsettling especially for my wife and embarrassing wen you have guests/customers in the car.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:41 PM

Update: The error is now constantly there. It no longer goes away with switching the car on and off. I actually prefer that since it will be easier to trouble shoot for the mechanics. I have an appointment tomorrow, will let you know how it progresses.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:55 PM

At the dealer now. No visible damage, SW tests ok. Believed to be a faulty ARS valve. New valve mechanism ordered from Germany. ~2w estimated until arrival and then a loaner car while they work on it. I'll let you know as it progresses.

Last edited by solstice; 10-05-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:36 PM

I forgot to mention one thing. With this problem I only have two dynamic modes. Comfort and normal. The computer allows me to choose Sport but after thinking about it for a couple of seconds it kicks it back to Normal. No Sport for you, I have a headache...
Old 10-12-2010, 05:07 PM

Here we go...dropped of the car this morning and was told it will be ready in the afternoon. After a few hours I got the message that only the technicians test drive remained so it was close to pickup. However at the test drive the error came back. The dynamic drive malfunction details apparently reads "oil contamination" something that should be impossible according to the tech. It's now believed to be a SW error and I'm driving an E60 loaner. A plain Jane 535iX with 17' wheels etc, etc. A few things that strikes me immediately:

- The E60s looks really feels dated inside and out after driving the F10.
- The N54 setup has more lag both from the turbo and transmission but pulls a bit harder once it gets going. I prefer the F10s N55 - 8 speed drive train.
- The F10 is a giant step in luxuary.
- The E60 does feel smaller to drive, i.e lighter and more nimble.
- The E60 steering is far superior as discussed to length. It communicates the road surface a heck of a lot more even with floppy 50 profile 17' wheels and the steering wheel is much better, thicker and grippier.

So nothing new, just re-confirmed what has been discussed before.

Driving this E60 makes me even more frustrated that bmw down prioritized a few crucial but what seems to me easy to address areas on the F10.
A proper sports steering wheel, adjustable seat side bolsters, sport springs and a traditional bmw steering feel would have made immediate wonders for the F10 while a larger weigth reduction could be a longer-term project.

Last edited by solstice; 10-12-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:39 PM

Got an update from the service advisor after another day of trouble shooting. They have basically no idea what is wrong, there is no prior experience of this problem on the F10, it's to new.
Btw before this loaner I have driven a handful of N54 equipped cars and none was as powerful as mine was but the loaner I have now is a bit of a beast ( relatively of course ), it has more lag than any of the other cars but pulls really hard while the turbos are hauling louder than I heard from any N54. I start to suspect that the techs have had some fun with it...

Last edited by solstice; 10-13-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:53 PM

Mein Auto: 5 series
There are two more reports of similar/identical problems of "Dynamic Drive Malfunction" in the other forum. One is a 520d, the other is a 550i. So it looks like it is system problem, and not specific to any particularly model.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
There are two more reports of similar/identical problems of "Dynamic Drive Malfunction" in the other forum. One is a 520d, the other is a 550i. So it looks like it is system problem, and not specific to any particularly model.
Thanks nosnoop! That I-drive msg in the pic. is exactly like mine. Since the 550i is here in the US at least they'll have two cars built to the same standards with this issue. More techs with different experiences working on this is a good thing.

Last edited by solstice; 10-13-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:48 PM

Update. Metal shavings found in the ARS system. My dealer is waiting for confirmation from the "New Jersey head engineer" who is calling the shots if they can go ahead and replace the whole enchilada (ars not the car) and do some general "fluid flush".
Old 10-15-2010, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 5-series
They probably didn't iron out all the problems in the new 2011 5-series. It's like the iPhone 4 with the 3 metal bands for better reception. Unfortunately, when they are conducted together it malfunctions. Same with BMW, probably adding new features and stuff to prevent it from not working properly was overlooked and new problems arose. They usually find a fix in the future after many problems and add it to their BMW service article collection.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: F10 523i, Ferrari 328
On my E60 the dynamic drive fault light would regularly come on once every month - usually in a sudden fast 90 degree turn manouvre.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:15 AM

Mine started like that but it was more like once every day and then went to constantly on. Perhaps I used up a lifetimes cornering abilities on the superb backroads in the Alps.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:24 PM

Update. The hydraulic oil will be flushed, the ars pump replaced and new oil added. The shavings are believed to come from the pump. The parts are shipped from NJ and the estimated time to completion is mid next week.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:16 PM

They found shavings in the new valve mechanism as well and needed to order one more. It arrived today to my dealer who thinks the new pump, valve box and flushing plus an extensive test drive will be finished by tomorrow pm.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
They found shavings in the new valve mechanism as well and needed to order one more. It arrived today to my dealer who thinks the new pump, valve box and flushing plus an extensive test drive will be finished by tomorrow pm.
This is really bad news because it indicates a quality control problem at the supplier level. I suspect the amount of shavings present in the valve will determine how long it lasts before it fails - for some of us, it may show up after the warranty is past.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:04 PM

1HOT_BMR I think my service advisor meant that during the short test drive they did with the new valve box it got contaminated immediately by the old pump that apparently is eating itself and causing the shavings. Now when they are going to put in a new pump they want to be sure that none of that contamination will get out in the system and thereby ordered another new valve box. They felt that it was nearly impossible to clean the valve box and be sure all shavings are gone. Time will tell how common the self-eating pumps are...I haven't seen any updates from the two cases in the other forum.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
1HOT_BMR I think my service advisor meant that during the short test drive they did with the new valve box it got contaminated immediately by the old pump that apparently is eating itself and causing the shavings. Now when they are going to put in a new pump they want to be sure that none of that contamination will get out in the system and thereby ordered another new valve box. They felt that it was nearly impossible to clean the valve box and be sure all shavings are gone. Time will tell how common the self-eating pumps are...I haven't seen any updates from the two cases in the other forum.
Thanks for the additional explanation that helps me understand what is happening with your car. I wish I knew more about how the suspension works. How many pumps are there to keep it all running smoothly? Are they High Pressure pumps like the new fuel pumps? Can you point me to a link where I can educate myself on the workings of the F10 Dynamic Handling Package?