Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 10-02-2010, 08:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 98 740il
Cataltic converter

One of my cats is rattling inside. I think its come apart inside. What are my options?
Ads by Google
Old 10-02-2010, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: 97 740iL
Close to $1400 from the dealership when mine went out, so I went looking for another option. I went looking for aftermarket cats that would work on my car and someone in a forum mentioned a certain model magnaflow cat that would work in these cars. I tried it in mine and the cat code came back two days later. Junkyards are not allowed to sell used cats to people around here so that option was out. I just ended up driving the car with the light on sinse then. I don't have a problem with inspections where I am and I'm still on the lookout for parts cars that may be able to help my situation.

Some info that may be useful, these german cats have alot of prescious metals inside them and if you happen to find a recycling center that buys used cats, they should give you about $80 per cat, so if you do change both with aftermarket ones and you trade in both of yours, it should even out the costs.

You should just change the one that is busted with an aftermarket one, and if the light doesn't cut on for at least one week, then you can be sure that the aftermarket one will work with this car, and then change the other one if you wish. Or pay $1400 from the dealer, either way, I would ask the shop to give me the old ones back, either to recoop the costs, or to hold onto just in case the aftermarket ones throw a code later on.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 98 740il
Yea, I was looking on Ebay and found the left and right sides for $745. shipped. Thats better than the dealer. The other option of going with a Magnaflow is much cheaper at about $75./ea. I dont have a light on now, just the annoying rattle noise. I think I might try thr Magnaflows and have my local shop weld me up some tubing.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 95 745I
I have a 95 740. Problem haunted me for a while til someone said to try the cats. Bought magnaflows on ebay for 130 for both. Just had them installed yesterday and she runs great now. Go with the magnas you will regret spending more.

Sent from my DROIDX using BimmerApp