Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Can I play AVI files on 2011 X5 E70?

I just found out that I can play DVDs while parked. Is it possible to play AVI or mpeg files (like what you can get through torrents)? Either through the DVD R/W disks, or perhaps through external devices hooked up to the USB port in the glove compartment or armrest?
Ads by Google
Old 10-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 X5 5.0i m-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdude7 View Post
I just found out that I can play DVDs while parked. Is it possible to play AVI or mpeg files (like what you can get through torrents)? Either through the DVD R/W disks, or perhaps through external devices hooked up to the USB port in the glove compartment or armrest?
I doubt it. From a technical perspective, the system first needs to recognize the file-type, or container (analgous to physical packaging). For a DVD this called a VOB file, and is a well known structure and package on the physical media. AVI, MPEG, or any other pc-based format is only a container, there can be a myriad of compression formats and structures within that file type. Unless BMW explicity added support for the most common of these formats, it's not likely to recognize them.

Try putting an AVI file on the USB stick, and see if the system can do anything with it.

You can take an AVI or MPEG file, or many other video formats, and with most PC or MAC based software, convert and burn to standard DVD format though. That will "transcode" the file into a regular DVD. That is NOT the same thing as copying the file to a DVD RW though.

I don't know whether or not the DVD player will recognize a DVD RW disc or not, I haven't looked for that info in the manual.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5d
yes it does play avi files....i have 2010 X5d....
can not get it to play it on the idrive screen though while parked ofcourse
Old 11-06-2013, 06:57 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Erlkoenig
Mein Auto: German stuff
With custom coding your DVD's will play while the vehicle is in Drive. AVI not supported on my 2013.
2013 X5 35d: Platinum gray metallic, Sport pkg with 20", premium pkg, multi-contour, cold wx pkg, premium stereo w/Sirius, soft close doors, smart phone int, custom coding, 18" Sport Edition w/Michelin xICE2.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Are we talking about DVD disks or USB flash drives?
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5d
I had some old DVD discs laying around with bunch of AVI files on them and when I put the disc into the DVD player (rear unit) it played them perfectly....