Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 10-03-2010, 05:25 PM
SawheadE34

Mein Auto: 1995 540i
Angry the very annoying trans program...

It seems to me that every one here with an automatic trans has experienced this annoying trans program issue. How have you approached it? Has any one fixed this issue? Does BMW have a fix for this other than switching to a manual? I've had that damn trans program come on nearly every day this week and can not take it any more. My trans will slip when going from second to third at lighter throttle acceleration when my trans is cold but will not give me problems when the trans is at normal operating temp. I think this is the biggest issue with our bimmers and would be GREAT if we could all get this figured out.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Do you have sufficient oil in your transmission?
Old 10-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 1994 E34 530i
4 quarts redline D4ATF. One automatic transmission filter kit. Bmaparts or bavauto or rockauto.

I change my transmission fluid every 30k miles. It costs nothing, and saves everything.

Sent from my Nexus One using BimmerApp
Old 10-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Skype™ to zaleonardz
Mein Auto: E65,E34, Firebird
Gents, specially those with the 525's...

Drop the auto transmission, stick in a manual gearbox, problem solved, about the same cost if not lower of rebuilding an auto trans box..

The swap is not that hard, if you can change a clutch, you can do the swap.

I am loving mine to absolute pieces, and if you love your E34 and want to keep the car for the car, this makes sense...

My Rides :
95 E34 540 (Daily driver & toy)
79 Pontiac Trans Am 400 (Project car)
05 E65 (Family car)
06 Golf 5 (Wifes Car)
Old 10-05-2010, 11:19 AM
SawheadE34

Well unfortunately I cant afford to do a manual swap on my 540i or else I would do it in a heart beat. Thoreau, is this fluid interchangeable with all auto transmissions? And roughly how much does all this cost? My fluid level is correct but since I've owned the car(14k miles) I havent replaced the fluid in the trans or diff. I think I'll go from there.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Skype™ to zaleonardz
Mein Auto: E65,E34, Firebird
If its a 540, you are running the ZF 5HP30 gearbox..

The oil specified by BMW is the Shell LS 2632 oil, and its beyond expensive. There is a substitute that you can use, which is the Shell Donax TX...

Remember to change the filter as well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawheadE34 View Post
Well unfortunately I cant afford to do a manual swap on my 540i or else I would do it in a heart beat. Thoreau, is this fluid interchangeable with all auto transmissions? And roughly how much does all this cost? My fluid level is correct but since I've owned the car(14k miles) I havent replaced the fluid in the trans or diff. I think I'll go from there.

My Rides :
95 E34 540 (Daily driver & toy)
79 Pontiac Trans Am 400 (Project car)
05 E65 (Family car)
06 Golf 5 (Wifes Car)
Old 10-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaleonardz View Post
If its a 540, you are running the ZF 5HP30 gearbox..

The oil specified by BMW is the Shell LS 2632 oil, and its beyond expensive. There is a substitute that you can use, which is the Shell Donax TX...

Remember to change the filter as well..
I think the lifetime grade transmission oils do not require regular change as they are either semi or fully synthetic. Just regular changes of the filter with no top up of oil would do (someone correct me if i'm wrong).

They wouldn't call it lifetime oil if it required replacement every 30k, and we cannot just dismiss what ZF, BMW and the like say about the oil as a marketing gimmick. They are naturally not beyond the occasional plug, but calling it lifetime/100k oil is not something these world class manufacturers would do without proof.

That being said, I would much rather put the normal dex 3-6 oils and regularly change both oil and filter. Its still a mindset issue I've not come to terms with.

The BMW transmission oil chart is attached with this post for our collective reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transmission Oil Chart.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	249136  
Old 10-05-2010, 07:25 PM
SawheadE34

I believe youre right. Life time fluid. And judging by the price of it from bavauto at nearly $150 before shipping for 5 quarts id say so haha