Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 08-19-2014, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: Audis
Hit with overspray from bldg maint

Every few weeks its something else. So, I was driving home last night from work and had something on the windshield. I decided to hit the sprayers and turn on the wipers. I could not believe what I was hearing. it sounded like sandpaper. When I got home I looked around at the rest of the car and found the hood, roof, trunk, windows and some of the sides had the same Teflon-like feel.

I was like WTF. started washing the car and tried to get it off with some good soap. Nothing worked. I cleaned the hood and tried the porter cable with some ultra compound. It took most of it off, but with a lot of work. I didn't have a newer clay bar and it was just getting dark. I tried to think back to see if I could figure out where it happened. I did remember the metal gate at my office building being unlocked earlier in the day. they only open that gate if work is being done to the building. I don't know how I fell asleep last night thinking about this shat.

This morning I get to work and start some investigating. I noticed that the silver metal gate and fence both look freshly painted. Then I noticed the leaves on the tree had been sprayed. I went directly to the maint guys. he was like what do you mean? Please show me. I showed him my car and he couldn't understand how I knew. Being that I have a silver car. He felt it and thought it was normal. Then he said he should have called me to move it and didn't think it would blow onto my car. I said of course its 3 feet away. Why take a chance. He said I don't know what to do. I said you need to figure it out. You need to get a clay bar, etc.

I haven't heard back from him yet , but im thinking maybe I should do it myself. I could also get an est from a detail shop but most will ruin my paint and remove my clear. I will give him the bill when I purchase the supplies. Sure, I have time to do my car again after I just finished it 5 weeks ago.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Brandon

Last edited by BMW7XAudi; 08-19-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 08-19-2014, 10:20 AM
Shogunman

Mein Auto: 2013 640i GC
Your building has general liability insurance and possibly errors and omissions insurance. Contact the building management and have them get this worked out for you. If maintenance is outsourced, the vendor would have submitted insurance certificate naming the building management company as "additional insureds". Regardless, your building management is liable for this as far as you are concerned.

Should be easy. Make sure to take pictures of any evidence - tree, gate, car, anything else.

PS: you would be in a better position if you would not have washed your car since they can claim that you improperly tried to fix this and ended up spoiling it. Don't give in, your case is strong - they made a negligent error by not having you to remove the car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by shogunman; 08-19-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: Audis
That would be the most obvious thing to do , but the manager of the building is complete pos. I complained to him about mold after I finally got back in after Sandy. He said, "if you don't like what we are doing, you can leave." I was barely complaining and they were moving at a snails pace.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750Li
My compressive paid for mine. It was a new Maserati and they paid 100% of the cost to remove from paint, windows and bright-work. There was even some on my wheels but it came right off
Old 08-19-2014, 11:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW7XAudi View Post
I said you need to figure it out. You need to get a clay bar, etc.
You're not considering allowing the maintenance guy to attempt claying your car are you? IMO he doesn't sound like he's got the common sense to figure something like that out on his first attempt.

If it's only going to require clay to remove, then I'd pay a pro to do it, and invoice the building. If they don't pay right off the bat then take it off your last month's rent there.

If it's going to require more extensive paintwork I'd say estimate, letter, lawyer. If you want to you can go the insurance route to have it repaired, then they'll likely go after the building to recoup - but then you have to deal with having a claim filed and whatever deductible that may take a long time to recover.

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue

Last edited by AdamG13; 08-19-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 750Li
If you want to work on it yourself, come on by and you can use my equipment to do it.
I have a Rupes orbital, a nanoskin pad to use instead of a claybar and you can use any of my Sonax or Menzerna polishing compounds.
If it were me, even though I have the right stuff to do the job, I'd take my car up to Phil at detailers domain and let him get it done perfect and then see what happens with gettng either theirs or your insurance to take care of the bill.

Good luck,

Harry

Sprt Pkg, Conv. Pkg, Luxury Seat Pkg, Prem. Sound Pkg, Driver Assist Pkg, Heads Up, Cam Pkg, Ceramic, Sirius, Smartphone Integration. BSM/Black Napa/Ash Grain w/ RWS
Old 08-20-2014, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: ///M7
Do not let the maintenance guy touch your car. Tell him you will get it done professionally at a detail shop and expect him to reimburse you. End of story. He will probably just pay also to avoid a big hassle.

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:02 AM
2009 F02

Mein Auto: 750li, XJ8
I had a similar problem on my last 7 series, They were spraying a roof two buildings over from mine and our whole parking lot got hit.
We all had our cars done at a detail shop and had them pay for it.

2009 750Li - Space Grau Metallic, Camera pkg, Conv pkg, Driver Asst pkg, Lux Seat pkg, Lux rear seat pkg, Prem sound pkg, Sport pkg, HUD, Massaging rear seats, Smartphone integration, Sat radio, MTEC H8 4750K Halo lights