Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > 6 Series DIY

6 Series DIY
6 Series Do It Yourself (DIY) forum.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 650i
DIY: Front Bumper Removal

Since I've had mine off at least 10 times and was asked, here's a down and dirty on the front bumper removal. I did find a few pics I could use that I took a while back. If needed I'll post a more in depth version when I get back from Afghanistan.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2006 BMW 650i Front Bumper Removal.pdf (760.5 KB, 3121 views)

06' 650i/8K lighting/custom angel eye fogs/3M clear bra/ACS pedals/JL 8W7 and Earthquake SWS-8Xs/black wrapped roof/custom lighted door sills

Last edited by 30yrVeteran; 10-05-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-05-2010, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
This is FANTASTIC! Good luck, God speed, stay safe and kick some a**!

Thanks and see you here when you get back!

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 03-27-2012, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Thanks for the great DIY!! Was able to remove the front bumper to replace a broken fog light assembly from road debris - piece of cake but took me a little longer first time through. Very nice job on the DIY 30yrVet!

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 04-14-2012, 10:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci
Great job.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 645i Coupe
Great Tutorial

@ 30yrVeteran, I just came across your PDF on front bumber removal. My nearside headlight was full of condensation when I bought the car back in April this year. I suspect the seller knew about the problem and the cost of fixing it and that's why he got rid of the car. I cleared the condensation simply by removing the rubber cover from the rear of the headlight unit but obviously by then the controller must have been full of water because the headlight failed during my recent trip to France, Spain and Italy. The bumper is noew off the car and I'm awaiting delivery of a replacemt controller so I can start driving the beast again .
Thanks a million for the PDF, couldn't have done it without your help.
Alan
Old 06-16-2014, 03:37 AM
The prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Error7 View Post
. I cleared the condensation simply by removing the rubber cover from the rear of the headlight unit but obviously by then the controller must have been full of water because the headlight failed during my recent trip to France, Spain and Italy. The bumper is noew off the car and I'm awaiting delivery of a replacemt controller so I can start driving the beast again .

Thanks a million for the PDF, couldn't have done it without your help.

Alan

So you had to remove the bumper to get to the rear of the headlight housing?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Vlad Dracul; 06-27-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:40 AM

I didn't need to remove the bumper to get to the rear of the headlight to remove the rubber cover, you can get to that from under the bonnet. But if your ballast unit has failed then you will need to remove the bumper to replace the ballast unit. The ballast is screwed to the under side of the headlight and the only way to get to it is to remove the bumper.

If you do need a ballast unit then Vauxhall use the same part but they charge a lot less than BMW. I got a second hand Vauxhall unit off ebay for 20.00 plus 5.00 postage.

Incidentally, removing the bumper isn't as daunting as it may first appear. 30 minutes is ample time, just watch for the windscreen washer bottle located behind the bumper, it can be a pig to disconnect and when you re-connect it, test it for leaks before re-fitting the bumper. That was my experience :o(
Old 06-16-2014, 04:45 AM
The prince

hmm. I was in the wheel well trying to look for water.

Last edited by Vlad Dracul; 06-27-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:54 AM

The one I removed was accessible from under the hood. I think it was covering the sidelight bulb. I'm not too sure because I got rid of my 645 as soon as I fixed the lights, I certainly didn't need to remove the cover in the wheel well.
However, if like you say your low beam is out due to condensation then it sounds like the damage has already been done and you'll need to replace the ballast unit.

Edit: I just realised you're not UK based so may not know what a Vauxhall is Try General Motors.

Last edited by Error7; 06-16-2014 at 05:05 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:00 AM

Some pic's to give you an idea what to expect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ballast_Controller R.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	446092   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02426 R.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	446093   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02428 R.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	320.7 KB
ID:	446094  
Old 06-16-2014, 02:35 PM
The prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Error7 View Post
Some pic's to give you an idea what to expect.
I was reading on taking out headlight housing and the author was saying NOT to unscrew certain bolts, to be super careful and mindful with the positioning and stuff because of how they calibrate.. What is the trick to getting it out?

Old 06-17-2014, 01:48 AM

That's scare-mongery. Once you have the bumper off the car it's quite obvious which bolts (I think they're are 4) hold the headlight on. Have you read the PDF posted by 30yrVeteran at the top of this page? It doesn't describe the actual headlight removal but you should read it before attempting bumper removal.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Dracul View Post
I was reading on taking out headlight housing and the author was saying NOT to unscrew certain bolts, to be super careful and mindful with the positioning and stuff because of how they calibrate.. What is the trick to getting it out?

Probably what they are referring to is the adjustment screw that is behind the headlight on the left/right outside corner of the light. It positions the headlight beam. If memory serves me correctly the screw for the light where I marked goes into an adjustable receiver that also screws in and out, therefore changing the angle of the light. Just make sure you either mark where the backside adjustable receiver is or just make sure and not move it. When you get the bumper off and can see the headlight just take a look at that area, it will make sense when you see it.

In this picture I took from 30yrveterans PDF the adjustable post is completely out:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw headlight out.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	446316  

Last edited by tampamark; 06-17-2014 at 06:40 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
Hi Guys,

Used this manual to replace my ballast unit and made an tutorial of it (includes removal of bumper= -> http://imgur.com/a/qDVze
Old 07-11-2014, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by taivorokib View Post
Hi Guys,

Used this manual to replace my ballast unit and made an tutorial of it (includes removal of bumper= -> http://imgur.com/a/qDVze
Very nice DIY thanks! Great job on annotating the pics.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater