Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 12-28-2003, 09:49 AM
Lovin' My Bimmer

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Aux-Input Success/Thank You!

I wanted to take a moment and thank you all for making the installation of the Aux-Input so straightforward and easy. I got an Aux-Input kit for my '03 325, when people asked what I got for Christmas I told them "a wire : )" and followed the well documented DIY instructions. After about 15 minutes the wire was installed and the Auxillary option on the radio was functional. I was amazed how easy it was. The only mistaked I made was when pulling the radio out I accidently let it set on the first climate control button (the one that directs it to the upper vents I think), and I scratched it a little and put a little gouge in it (which appears white), and really that was my own stupid fault for not being more careful.

Thank you all, Happy New Year, and MP3 On!
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2003, 10:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330Ci
What I found useful in aux input install

I, too, found useful information for the aux input install on this board and especially on Matt McNulty's DIY site: http://www.mattmcnulty.com/325xi/DIY/aux_input.html

I purchased my aux input from BMW Cleveland (via Ebay). Interestingly, it is a different part number (82 11 01 149 389, for E46) and the included BMW mounting instructions are different than the BMW instructions (in .pdf form) linked off of Matt McNulty's site. The major difference is that these instructions place it on the left (driver's) side of the glovebox, rather than the back. I think it's worth considering placing it here as well as these other points:

1. If you place it on the left side, then you only have to drill the holes (one for the socket, two for the flanking screw that mount the plate, and two for a cable tie in the rear) in the glovebox "drawer" rather than also in the "outer shell" (as is required with a rear mount). The cable sits under the flashlight, where there is some empty space.

2. I have a telescoping screwdriver (with an "antenna" on it); this was useful to probe a path, from which I could thread the wire, from the head unit area behind the dash into the glovebox.

3. I followed Matt McNulty's instructions for disassembling the glovebox. However, I plugged the cord into the radio first (because I wanted to test it before proceeding any further). In that case, the easiest way to reassemble things, I think, is to diverge from his instructions. I mounted the outer shell in the car (without the drawer), then thread the cable into its mounting plate in the drawer (while placed in the car), then mated the drawer back to the shell from within the car.

4. Finally, by pressing the music note button while in aux mode (and cycling through bass, treble, balance, etc.), a new choice appears in which you can adjust the gain of the amplifier to bring up the volume of the new input.

Hope this helps,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	111-1173_IMG.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	24053   Click image for larger version

Name:	111-1177_IMG.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	24054   Click image for larger version

Name:	111-1179_IMG.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	24055   Click image for larger version

Name:	111-1180_IMG.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	24056  
Old 12-28-2003, 11:26 PM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy
Interestingly, it is a different part number (82 11 01 149 389, for E46) and the included BMW mounting instructions are different than the BMW instructions (in .pdf form) linked off of Matt McNulty's site. The major difference is that these instructions place it on the left (driver's) side of the glovebox, rather than the back.
BMWNA often does things differently than BMW AG, particularly with vehicle electronics. Some of that is probably due to getting parts accepted under US FCC rules (like the Bluetooth kits for earlier cars*), some is probably due to different market requirements (the US Bluetooth kit doesn't have a phone cradle because US drivers want to keep their cupholders) and some changes don't have any obvious explanation.

Where it gets interesting is trying to manage US-only options which want to mount in the same space as different Europe-only options. The first one of those I ran into is that the US CPT8000 phone control module wants to mount in the same place as the European TV tuner module.

* BMW would have to have those variant Bluetooth kits FCC certified, and they probably don't think it is worth it to sell only a few pieces each of a bunch of different kits. As an end user, you can import the kit from Europe and it is your responsibility to ensure FCC compliance (since BMW didn't import it).