Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-06-2010, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: Lexus
BMW vs Grand Cherokee

I'm looking to purchase an SUV (SAV) and I'm considering the BMW X3 and Jeep Grand Cherokee (Overland). I know they are very different in many aspects, but thought I would share my thoughts.

Although the Jeep has better off-road capabilities, most people don't take a $40,000 + vehicle off-road too often (if at all).

Here is what I really like about the 2011 X3 without driving it or even seeing it in person.

In no particular order:

Performance (0-60 in 5.5 sec)
8-speed transmission
Large Navigation screen (8.8 inches)
New iDrive looks nice. I reviewed movies on BMWUSA.com for the 7 series to get an idea
Adaptive Headlights (I have them now and really like them)
Back-up camera
Ability to adjust suspension settings
I will add more as I can think of them

I also like the new Grand Cherokee (overland). I think Jeep did a great job, but here are a few things I don't like about it:

Slow + Heavy (I know, it's an SUV, but even with the 390HP V-8, it's not as fast as the X3)
Small Navigation screen (6.5 inches)

I have never owned with a Jeep or BWM before. I have owned Lexus vehicles for over 15 yrs, but not in love with their SUV's.
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Let Apple rewrite iDrive

Mein Auto: 2006 650i Coupe
Head Up Display is a nice option to have too. It's an available option on the forthcoming X3 (not available on the current generation). I sprang for the HUD in my 6er and love it.

Besides, the HUD has saved me hundreds of dollars in tickets over the years.

IIRC, I don't think a HUD is available on the Jeep.
  • Dakota Black+Ruthenium
  • 6-speed manual
  • Sport Package
  • Premium Sound Package
  • Cold Weather Package
  • HUD
  • Sirius satellite radio
  • Upgraded to M6 wheels upon delivery
  • iPod adapter upgrade 11/2007
  • 35% window tint
  • 3M Paint Protection Film
Old 10-07-2010, 03:57 AM

Mein Auto: X3 (in 2011)
I've had three Jeeps, mostly used as winter 'beaters' so am also considering the 2011 Grand Cherokee as well as the new X3 and the Audi Q5 (getting rid of my sportscar). They have done a nice almost total revamp of the Jeep but I too think it should get better gas mileage. It's also just a tad too large for me these days. You have to like the bang-for-buck tho' as my desired Limited edition with X3/Q5 comparable options is $4-6k less.

That said I'm pretty sure for me it will come down to the X3 or Q5 in the next few months.

Another plus to the X3 is that being built in Spartanburg you can get it a week or so after placing an order (or pick up at the Performance Center).

It will be interesting to see the X3 real-world reviews.

Last edited by Huey52; 10-07-2010 at 04:01 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Well according to the NY Times the new X3 is virtually the same size as the "old" pre-07 X5 which was pretty close to the Jeep GC. So, a comparo between the new X3 and the Jeep GC might not be a bad one. The new X3 moves up sizewise to a class that includes the Cayenne, T-egg, ML, FX35/50, and JGC. No longer in the "cute ute" segment, for that the X1 will appear next year according to the Times. If someone was going to do any offroading, or had a seriously bad road to travel the Jeep might be a better choice IMHO.

Last edited by UncleJ; 10-07-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Vorsitzer

Send a message via AIM to vrrooom
Mein Auto: Bummers, porkys
Lightbulb Choices

I am also considering the X3,Q5 and Overland. I have owned 3 X3's and 3 Grands. My initial reaction is that the Q5 and Overland can be had for mid forties nicely equipped. It is yet to be seen how the BMW will be priced but all my previous X3's well equipped were also mid forties. If BMW prices the 3.5 X3 too high, then the alternatives are much more attractive. Also I have been pricing X5's (no leather) and 535IX which can be bought at 50 (ED and BMW CCA Rebate). Only time will tell.
E86 ED 2006
911 Turbo Cab
*E86 ED 2004
*E86 ED 2008
*E46 M3 2001
*E36 ED M3 1995,
*E36 325IS 1992
*E34 ED M5 1991
*E30 318ISLemon Lawed
Porkies*924,*944 ED
Benzies*ML430,*E300 ED
Old 10-11-2010, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
The original X3 and the original X5 were virtually the same interior size.

Have you tried the 8 speed transmission in this thing? I would let lemmings try it out first and see how it goes as those of us in the previous model are still struggling with the herky and the jerky of the latest X3 transmission.

Since no one seems to know if it is the transmission or the s/w, there is no guarantee that this new one will be any better. Maybe it is the CAR.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPXYZ View Post
The original X3 and the original X5 were virtually the same interior size.

Have you tried the 8 speed transmission in this thing? I would let lemmings try it out first and see how it goes as those of us in the previous model are still struggling with the herky and the jerky of the latest X3 transmission.

Since no one seems to know if it is the transmission or the s/w, there is no guarantee that this new one will be any better. Maybe it is the CAR.
This tranny is similar/same to the 5er, 7er, X5 box now installed...generally lauded universally, although I agree it is early in its life cycle...
Old 10-18-2010, 06:08 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
I had three Jeep's the first two were great the last one an 05 was the biggest pos I have ever owned and all the critics initially said it was great.

I had an 07 AT X3, again all the critics said it was great. It was a death trap.

I now have an 08 MT X3 and with the exception of the stereo ( I changed it out) it is one of my favorite vehicles.

The looks of the new Grand Cheerokee look great. The specs on the new X3 look great.

Fortunately, I can wait a year to see what the fan web sites say as I have learned that C&D or C/R and the rest are almost always wrong and people like you and me that post are the best critics.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 10-24-2010, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328 F25 X35, W209 AMG
you guys are forgetting about the new VW touareg, I think it's a better value than the X3 and a better build than the Jeep
Old 10-25-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey52 View Post
I've had three Jeeps, mostly used as winter 'beaters' so am also considering the 2011 Grand Cherokee as well as the new X3 and the Audi Q5 (getting rid of my sportscar). They have done a nice almost total revamp of the Jeep but I too think it should get better gas mileage. It's also just a tad too large for me these days. You have to like the bang-for-buck tho' as my desired Limited edition with X3/Q5 comparable options is $4-6k less.

That said I'm pretty sure for me it will come down to the X3 or Q5 in the next few months.

Another plus to the X3 is that being built in Spartanburg you can get it a week or so after placing an order (or pick up at the Performance Center).

It will be interesting to see the X3 real-world reviews.
Make sure you read the OLD thread on the X3 and then wait for the second year of the new model. Why take chances when you don't have to,.

Jeep has a nice commercial going. I don't know about the car although it looks nice off road or not. I just don't know about the company behind it. You definitely can't take the X3 off road and I doubt the Q5 warranty extends to that either. I don't know, there doesn't seem to be huge advantages/disadvantages in any car in this segment. Cars seems to be melding into each other with nothing particularly distinctive about any of them.

Sigh. If I had to buy a car today I would be in exactly the same place I was a year ago.....underwhelmed.

Last edited by PPXYZ; 10-25-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: e36, e92, e70, e90
Iíve owned every jeep platform since 94. Theyíre great off road, in snow vehicles and ok up to 200K but day to day driving, they donít compare. The numb steering, transmission that donít seem to know what gear it wants to be in, whalling cornering and loss of hp as the air thins. I do live in the mountains so it reallly highlights the shortcomings. The 11í GC (MB platform) is just shy of an X5 size. The new X3 is almost the same size as the 2nd gen GC not the 4th so I donít think they compare anymore. Bottom line, 08' GC retired, shine new 11' X5 35d in the driveway. No d for an X3 right now.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:03 PM

And you can get the new T-egg in diesel! Cheaper than the X5 or ML diesels and a handy size (almost the same as the "new" X3). Great interiors too -- but you have to put up with the VW dealer network, of which the best thing you can say is there are a lot of them out there.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:55 PM

I would suspect the jeep would be much cheaper to maintain.

American car companies have made decent strides since nearly going under. Maybe it is the shock to the system......like a big lawsuit/recall.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:04 AM

Ford for sure and GM sort of, but Chrysler not so much. They still lag pretty far down on the charts. Maybe Fiat will jack them up. In any event the Jeep is a great brand!
Old 10-29-2010, 02:12 PM

I have to say I like the recent Jeep commercial.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
I saw a Jeep Cherokee on the rod today and thought of this thread. I had no prestigious thoughts about it. Meanwhile I saw a couple of X3s and I thought "prestige". That's just me. I like the BMW name over "Jeep".

It doesn't mean the Jeep is not a good car. It just might require too much thought or explanation. It is like Swarthmore and Princeton...both outstanding schools but Princeton requires no explanation to the general public.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:20 PM

What's a "Princeton"?
Old 10-29-2010, 07:31 PM

Jeep and BMW do not compare on the image scale but since BMW appears to be doing whatever it can to go down market in an effort to boost revenue....who knows in a decade?
Old 10-30-2010, 09:15 AM

Jeep and BMW "X" cars are just not comparable. The Jeep (in 4WD) is a world class "off roader" along with Toyota/Acura Land Cruiser/LX, Nissan Patrol, and the Land Rover. The VW and Porsche T-egg and Cayenne come close but BMW is not in the same off road league here IMHO.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:16 PM

Yes, the dealer actually made an effort to say NOT to drive the X3 off road.

Plus the Edmunds guys destroyed the suspension in their X3 in a single afternoon of fire trailing. If someone is buying a car to do this kind of thing on the weekend then the X3 makes no sense.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Jeep and BMW "X" cars are just not comparable. The Jeep (in 4WD) is a world class "off roader" along with Toyota/Acura Land Cruiser/LX, Nissan Patrol, and the Land Rover. The VW and Porsche T-egg and Cayenne come close but BMW is not in the same off road league here IMHO.
If I decided to go off roading, I'd rent some car...lol I wouldn't want to mess up my car anyway. lol I'm sure it can do minor rural stuff. lol
Old 10-31-2010, 08:20 AM

I have done forest service roads in my '06 X3 with (apparently) no ill effects. I will have to check the pigtails on the coil springs at my next oil change though. Interestingly I went with my nephew in a hard core Wrangler with a 350 up a rough dirt track to a scenic view and to my surprise there was an Outback sitting there with some folks taking photos of the view! So you never know.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
I have done forest service roads in my '06 X3 with (apparently) no ill effects. I will have to check the pigtails on the coil springs at my next oil change though. Interestingly I went with my nephew in a hard core Wrangler with a 350 up a rough dirt track to a scenic view and to my surprise there was an Outback sitting there with some folks taking photos of the view! So you never know.
I think the X3 could handle most of those roads if driven slowly. If repeated off-roading is what you want, the jeep sounds better. Since it doesn't have the same prestige, there won't even be a rush to wash it wen it gets dirty and beat up. lol It's like those old sneakers you used to save for mud football (to keep your every day sneakers looking good).
Old 10-31-2010, 12:27 PM

Soft-roaders instead of off-roaders.

Consumer Reports FWIW:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...d-worst-ov.htm

Worst cars include:

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Jeep Liberty Sport

The BMW 135i manual ranked among the best. Manual? Sales of manual cars are about 7% of the total so why are there 3 in the top 10.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPXYZ View Post
Soft-roaders instead of off-roaders.

Consumer Reports FWIW:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...d-worst-ov.htm

Worst cars include:

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Jeep Liberty Sport

The BMW 135i manual ranked among the best. Manual? Sales of manual cars are about 7% of the total so why are there 3 in the top 10.
IDK. I think manuals not as loved as manual enthusists believe. Some of tose sales are driven by price and people wo are comfortable with stick trying to save money.

The only way to see who truly loves manual is to make them the same price and see who CHOOSES manual over automatic in this country. I'd bet they lose half and some of the remaining will be foreigners or older people. There is a following for sure...but it is not as popular as the followers think.

I guess X3 and Jeep Cherokee are somewhere in the middle (if they were tested).

As far as manual showing up on the list, maybe that's the version they had available to test. It's not like they specifically verified that they tested both and auto was worse.

Last edited by X3forlife; 10-31-2010 at 02:40 PM.