Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 540i
E39 Headlight bulbs Pls Help

Hi guys,

I have a quick question. In the image provided, in the middle of the blue area i have highlighted there is a spot that is burnt out on my headlight, not sure if that is changeable or what is the deal with that, but one side is burnt and one side of the car is not. Let me know pls if i can change it or how i can access it, cause i was looking at it today and it doesnt seem that simple and there is no bulb.

Hope you guys can help. Thanks

They are after market replacement headlights if that makes any difference
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_2381.jpg
Views:	2080
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	249644  
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Ich liebe meine Funfers!

Mein Auto: 550i and E34 530i
Welcome to the 'Fest. On an OEM assembly, the light you're referring to is actually just a fiber-optic ending; they are part of the stock angel eyes fiber-optic tube routing. I'm not really sure what you have- they may be part of your angel eyes if they're light-tubes, but if you have a set of concentric bulbs in the halos you may have an internal bulb at the corner as well.

550i . Sport . Nav . L7 . Sirius . Cold . Eibachs . Bilsteins . 19" TSW . K&N . MTech V3

Last edited by borderchris; 10-09-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the input. I have been reading that it is a fibre optic wire, is there any way that it can be fixed or why the light might have burnt out on the one side.

Like look at picture 1 and notice how the far orange part is lighten up, and its burnt on the other one, any way to repair or fix that, cause my headlights and HIDS are fine... even if they are linked, shouldn't the HID burn out too?

Hope someone can help so i can get it fixed, because i am kind of a perfectionist and need to get the one side fixed :P
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	249674   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	249675  
Old 10-10-2010, 12:33 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Moussa View Post
Hope someone can help so i can get it fixed
I baked my headlight for an hour in the California sun today and proceeded to take it apart.

That oval "burnt" area appears to be there by design (I'm not sure exactly why though).

Also, there does not appear to be anything more substantial at that yellow corner than just a simple yellow bulb and what appears to be the end of a fiber-optic "tube".

Given that simplicity, are you sure that it's not just that your yellow sidelight bulb is burned out (it's trivial to tell; just twist it out)?

Old 10-10-2010, 01:11 AM
(oOO)\(lll)(lll)/(OOo)

Mein Auto: 98 528i 5 speed
the yellow bulb is only turned on when the turn signal is activated; if you follow the side fo cable back towards the back of the headlight housing you will see it goes to the top of the bundle of cables which face the ae blub... now if you remove the ae bulb and look at the ends of the fo cables you will see 20% of the cable is a orange triangle (when the lens is on the headlight) which is the side parking light section

the ae bulb fires its light into 5 fo cables; 1 which goes to the side parking light; 2 which go to either end of the low beam celis bar; and 2 for either end of the high beam celis bar.

if you look closely cars which have aftermarket ae blubs the side marker light is no longer orange since the ae light is no longer yellow

Fs: KAC-8103D, Kicker 08ts10l52
Old 10-10-2010, 01:14 AM
(oOO)\(lll)(lll)/(OOo)

Quote:
Hope someone can help so i can get it fixed, because i am kind of a perfectionist and need to get the one side fixed :P
if you used after market ae blubs (exp ebay ones) this might be apart of the cause; its possible that there was too much heat created which could have damaged the ends of the fiber optic cable; rrcompton was parting out a headlight a while back; not sure if he still has them.

i would remove the ae bulb from that side and have some one flash a bright light onto the side marker area and see if you see it at the other end.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesht View Post
the ae bulb fires its light into 5 fo cables; 1 which goes to the side parking light; 2 which go to either end of the low beam celis bar; and 2 for either end of the high beam celis bar.
OK. Since you obviously did your homework, I did some myself!

This is all relatively new to me, so, I'll analyze all your statements and try to post pictures thereof. I was a bit confused by some of the terminology (e.g., I thought at first 'fo' was a mistyped 'of' until I realized you meant fiber-optic cable).

The BMW glossary wasn't very helpful on these terms:
AE Projectors = Angel Eyes, projector light distribution halogen lamp system
Celis = Central lighting systems, a trademark of Hella (as in OEM Celis Tail Light retrofit)
FOC = Fiber optic cable

So I updated that glossary for all to benefit.

I have a few questions:

First, what is the "celis" bar? Is that the round plastic annular-ringed fiber-optic plastic striated "circle" that fell out on the table when I opened the headlights? (see pic)

Is this that 20% "pie" section you talked about (hard to capture with the camera flash so I highlighted it in the pic below) on the tip next to the AE (angel eye) bulb? (see pic)

And, WHAT is this post thingey on the back of the headlight assembly? (see pic above)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cellis.JPG
Views:	10329
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	249724   Click image for larger version

Name:	pie_section_closeup.JPG
Views:	11906
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	249725  
Old 10-10-2010, 08:23 AM
Faithful to the fest

Send a message via AIM to Eurojay89
Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
OK. Since you obviously did your homework, I did some myself!

This is all relatively new to me, so, I'll analyze all your statements and try to post pictures thereof. I was a bit confused by some of the terminology (e.g., I thought at first 'fo' was a mistyped 'of' until I realized you meant fiber-optic cable).

The BMW glossary wasn't very helpful on these terms:
AE Projectors = Angel Eyes, projector light distribution halogen lamp system
Celis = Central lighting systems, a trademark of Hella (as in OEM Celis Tail Light retrofit)
FOC = Fiber optic cable

So I updated that glossary for all to benefit.

I have a few questions:

First, what is the "celis" bar? Is that the round plastic annular-ringed fiber-optic plastic striated "circle" that fell out on the table when I opened the headlights? (see pic)

Is this that 20% "pie" section you talked about (hard to capture with the camera flash so I highlighted it in the pic below) on the tip next to the AE (angel eye) bulb? (see pic)

And, WHAT is this post thingey on the back of the headlight assembly? (see pic above)
I believe those are the cellis rings

the thing that seemingly does nothing is the auto leveling headlight module but ur missing the servo motor that hooks up to that part

Old 10-10-2010, 09:45 PM

I appreciate all the help guys, but it still doesn't really answer my question. Maybe im wording it wrong, in the two pictures i have provided above, one side is lighten up and one side is not in the side orange area, not the main turn bulb. Is there a bulb there or is it this "fibre optic wire that is damaged". The headlights i believe are hella replacements, still 1000$ headlights each, so they not cheap, let me know.

Thanks.

I also have an E39 02 540I headlight, original from the car, with bulbs and in mint condition, just broken upper mounts, if anyone can do anything with it, or if i can sell it for something let me know, headlight and bulbs and wiring all perfectly in-tact, just upper mounts broken.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I appreciate all the help guys, but it still doesn't really answer my question. Maybe im wording it wrong, in the two pictures i have provided above, one side is lighten up and one side is not in the side orange area, not the main turn bulb. Is there a bulb there or is it this "fibre optic wire that is damaged". The headlights i believe are hella replacements, still 1000$ headlights each, so they not cheap, let me know.

Thanks.

I also have an E39 02 540I headlight, original from the car, with bulbs and in mint condition, just broken upper mounts, if anyone can do anything with it, or if i can sell it for something let me know, headlight and bulbs and wiring all perfectly in-tact, just upper mounts broken.
forgot to mention its a driver side headlight, nothing is wrong with it, and the bulbs are provided, only thing is, is that the upper mounts are broken, will sell for cheap
Old 10-10-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
in the two pictures i have provided above, one side is lighten up and one side is not in the side orange area, not the main turn bulb. Is there a bulb there or is it this "fibre optic wire that is damaged".
I'm not sure I understand your question (the English is a little off so we have to guess what you're saying); but I'll take a re-stab at the answer.

I assume you're asking how many "lights" illuminate the orange side light?

Someone else can tell you about the non-Hella replacements. On my 2002 OEM Hella H7 halogens, there are, in effect, THREE lights that illuminate the orange side marker and turn signal bulbs

1. There is an orange turn-signal bulb.
2. That orange bulb has TWO filaments.
3. And there is a FOC termination point.

The fiber-optic cable gets it's light from the white angel eye bulb (which is NOT the same as the H7 high and H7 low beams). The angel eye bulb feeds 5 FOCs, one of which goes to the side light. This FOC cable terminates exactly at the oval "dark spot" on the orange side light. Apparently this acts as a driving and/or parking light.

I never thought about when the orange bulb dual filaments light up. And mine are off the car so I can't tell you. I presume one filament is for the turn signal (and flasher) and the other is for when the headlights are on.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	side_light.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	249865   Click image for larger version

Name:	side_light_hella_halogen.JPG
Views:	14314
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	249866  

Last edited by bluebee; 10-10-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
I'm not sure I understand your question (the English is a little off so we have to guess what you're saying); but I'll take a re-stab at the answer.

I assume you're asking how many "lights" illuminate the orange side light?

Someone else can tell you about the non-Hella replacements. On my 2002 OEM Hella H7 halogens, there are, in effect, THREE lights that illuminate the orange side marker and turn signal bulbs

1. There is an orange turn-signal bulb.
2. That orange bulb has TWO filaments.
3. And there is a FOC termination point.

The fiber-optic cable gets it's light from the white angel eye bulb (which is NOT the same as the H7 high and H7 low beams). The angel eye bulb feeds 5 FOCs, one of which goes to the side light. This FOC cable terminates exactly at the oval "dark spot" on the orange side light. Apparently this acts as a driving and/or parking light.

I never thought about when the orange bulb dual filaments light up. And mine are off the car so I can't tell you. I presume one filament is for the turn signal (and flasher) and the other is for when the headlights are on.

Thanks Bluebee, that helps out a lot. My english is perfectly fine i just think i wasn't wording the question properly or i wasn't sure how to go about it. I guess im going to have to take my light apart, and see if i can change the fibre optic ending, because that is what is preventing "my parking light" from lighting up on the one side. Is it worth repairing or would you guys just leave it.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
see if i can change the fibre optic ending, because that is what is preventing "my parking light" from lighting up on the one side.
I would check the OTHER end first! It's a LOT easier!

Here is a picture, from my alternator thread (so ignore the caption) of the angel eye bulb.

It's the bulb that sends light through that fiber optic cable.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:08 AM

the turn signal bulb is fine, and hid's light up perfectly fine, everything as is, minus the little area that appears to be burnt out. Not sure what im going to do :S
19" Alpina Reps, H&R Sport Springs (50464), Business unit with GROM Ipod Interface, BMW LED 10w AE bulbs, AFE Cold Air Intake Stage 1, Black Kidney Grilles, M5 rear lip, Extreme Bright LED License plate lights

Old 10-11-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
the turn signal bulb is fine, and hid's light up perfectly fine, everything as is, minus the little area that appears to be burnt out. Not sure what im going to do :S
I realize you intimated the four bulbs in the headlight are fine.
But ...
- You did not explicitly say the AE bulb is working.
- Nor that both filaments of the turn signal bulb are intact.

Can you confirm both of those?
Old 10-11-2010, 08:49 PM

I figured out an easy way, if all else fails, to test the workings of your fiber-optic cable.

Simply shine a light where the AE bulb would normally go and you should see five points of light eminating forth.

Here, for example, is my headlight showing the side FOC is intact and working.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	foc_side_light_2.JPG
Views:	5782
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	250010  
Old 11-02-2010, 12:39 AM

Did the OP ever figure out why his fifth FOC termination point was not lighting?

I suspect his angel eye bulb was out; but it would be a courtesy if the OP responded.

To the OP: If you shine a light into the back of the angel eye hole, you should see FIVE points of light, one of which is the side marker light that you say is out.

Below I've done it in vitro but you can do it in situ (i.e., on the car).

What what the result?

Old 11-02-2010, 03:17 PM

I am sorry i have not responded in a while. Thanks for all the help everyone i have just been busy with school. In order to verify, i would have to take off the casing from my headlight. It seems like so much work for such a little side marker light, or side parking light. It is still burnt out for now, and the headlights are fairly new, im going to see if it is under warranty from the body man which i bought them from.

Thanks again
19" Alpina Reps, H&R Sport Springs (50464), Business unit with GROM Ipod Interface, BMW LED 10w AE bulbs, AFE Cold Air Intake Stage 1, Black Kidney Grilles, M5 rear lip, Extreme Bright LED License plate lights

Old 11-02-2010, 03:22 PM

In other words, what im trying to say is, there is no way of fixing this without taking off the lens? Isn't it heat glued, or sealed on there?

Old 11-02-2010, 05:53 PM
(oOO)\(lll)(lll)/(OOo)

the 01 celis headlights can be baked open, iirc the 03 are glued shut and need to be sawed open.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:21 PM

mine are 02 Hella replacements. Im not going to open up the headlight just to see if one fibre optic ending is damaged. So even if it is damaged, there is no way of really repairing this is there? I am just going to go to the body shop specialist where i had purchased the lights from and see if they are still under warranty, maybe he can ship it off and get me another one.

Thanks for the input guys, not much more i can really do

Old 01-24-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
I am just going to go to the body shop specialist where i had purchased the lights from and see if they are still under warranty, maybe he can ship it off and get me another one.
What did you end up doing?
Old 01-24-2011, 03:07 PM

Hey, you guys are going to think that i didn't take into consideration any of your posts but that's not true. I didn't end up doing anything. The car is stored for the winter time and when I take it out I'm hoping to visit my local BMW dealer and see if they have any input. The original lights for the e39 turn signal is a double filament orange bulb used for the turn signal and parking light. The hella replacement which I have on my car is a small bulb with one filament used for the turn signal only. What I have concluded from all of this is that on the hella replacements the parking light is illuminated by a fibre optic ending? So basically once that ending burns out there is nothing you can do?

Hopefully my dealer will have some input in the spring but for now not much else I can do. You understand what I'm saying?

Old 02-17-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
So basically once that ending burns out there is nothing you can do? ... You understand what I'm saying?
I came back to this thread to research for another thread today:
- brighter halo rings?

I wonder what the failure is on your headlight.

The question I ask is how can fiber-optic cables "burn out"? That angel eye is not transmitting (much, if any) heat to the cables. However, the headlight itself is hot (but is it hot enough to melt a fiber-optic cable?).

I wonder if just a connection came loose inside?
Old 02-18-2011, 11:32 AM

The car has been stored for the winter time and I have not bothered with the headlight. Thanks again bluebee what I'm going to do is take it to the dealer when I pull the car out and let them take a look at it. It is hella replacement headlights I paid about $950 for each headlight but we'll see what happens