Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-10-2002, 05:25 PM
eugeneDC/TX eugeneDC/TX is offline
sometimes i wish for an x
Location: houston, tx
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,346
Mein Auto: 2001 325i
two questions

question 1: is it okay to top zaino with a caranuba wax? (e.g. like ppl top klasse (polymer) with caranuba wax) any benefits/disadvantages?

question 2: 303 vs. vinylex. i know 303 doesnt give a vinylex "shine", but i'm switching because 303 is water based and vinylex is silicone based and i've read that over time silicone is not good for vinyl/rubber over time. are there any other benefits/disadvantages to one over the other? do both give the new car smell? i like the vinylex smell....

Last edited by eugeneDC/TX; 04-10-2002 at 05:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 04-11-2002, 05:39 AM
Guest84 Guest84 is offline
Account closed at users request
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 22,779
Mein Auto:
Not sure about question 2, but my understanding of question one is that you really shouldn't mix polymer-based waxes (such as Zaino, Zymol) with carnauba-based waxes.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-11-2002, 07:16 AM
in_d_haus in_d_haus is offline
Registered User
Location: Elsewhere
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,881
Mein Auto: car
Re: two questions

Quote:
Originally posted by eugeneDC/TX

question 2: 303 vs. vinylex. i know 303 doesnt give a vinylex "shine", but i'm switching because 303 is water based and vinylex is silicone based and i've read that over time silicone is not good for vinyl/rubber over time. are there any other benefits/disadvantages to one over the other? do both give the new car smell? i like the vinylex smell....
Armorall is silicone based too...'nuff said for me!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-11-2002, 08:14 AM
31st330i 31st330i is offline
Now with Nano
Location: East Bay
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,310
Mein Auto: 2001 330i
Re: two questions

Quote:
Originally posted by eugeneDC/TX
question 1: is it okay to top zaino with a caranuba wax? (e.g. like ppl top klasse (polymer) with caranuba wax) any benefits/disadvantages?

question 2: 303 vs. vinylex. i know 303 doesnt give a vinylex "shine", but i'm switching because 303 is water based and vinylex is silicone based and i've read that over time silicone is not good for vinyl/rubber over time. are there any other benefits/disadvantages to one over the other? do both give the new car smell? i like the vinylex smell....
both of those questions were asked (was it you? - don't remember) and answered somewhat authoritativly on autopia.
__________________
my BMW page
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-11-2002, 08:30 AM
eugeneDC/TX eugeneDC/TX is offline
sometimes i wish for an x
Location: houston, tx
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,346
Mein Auto: 2001 325i
Re: Re: two questions

Quote:
Originally posted by 31st330i


both of those questions were asked (was it you? - don't remember) and answered somewhat authoritativly on autopia.
yeah it was me. i tend to cross post stuff to get the most answers. not a lot of people here post at autopia (other than you, sometimes me, and some others). i'm sure a lot read over there too, but i thought i might get some differnet answers here. thanks. i read your reply at autopia and it's really helpful.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-11-2002, 08:39 AM
31st330i 31st330i is offline
Now with Nano
Location: East Bay
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,310
Mein Auto: 2001 330i
yeah, I occasionally cross post for the same reason.

you got some good answers there on the zaino topper question.
__________________
my BMW page
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-11-2002, 09:45 AM
Guest84 Guest84 is offline
Account closed at users request
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 22,779
Mein Auto:
I don't get over there much these days, what was the consensus over there regarding Q.#1 ?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-11-2002, 10:48 AM
eugeneDC/TX eugeneDC/TX is offline
sometimes i wish for an x
Location: houston, tx
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,346
Mein Auto: 2001 325i
here is my thread

here is the thread someone pointed me too

the consensus was that not worth the benefits on zaino. but on klasse it's fine. they did stress that it was important to get any polymer (klasse, blackfire, zaino) exactly where you want it before you top cuz once you top no more layering the polymer
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
M3 strut brace install questions alee Do-It-Yourself H.Q. 26 06-14-2003 08:03 AM
A few questions about the '04 330i Sedan... RandyB 3 Series / 4 Series 12 03-05-2003 12:29 PM
Questions on 2003 Color options/European Delivery mbarto 3 Series / 4 Series 1 01-10-2003 05:56 AM
A few questions on BMW accessories for my first 325i Dennis H Ask-A-Dealer 8 06-25-2002 04:45 PM
VPC Questions... Eric Giles General BMW 4 12-31-2001 03:32 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms