Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 10-13-2010, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 540i
tire size

anyone heard of a 1995 540i having different tire sizes? the rear is 225/60/R15 and the fronts are 205/60R15
Advertisement
Old 10-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Yes, that's more common on sports cars but considering that the e34 is a sports sedan, it can pull it off. But bear in mind, this is a sporty configuration, so to be consistent you ought to be doing other things as well such as lowering your car, dark window films, maybe blacked front grills, deep dish rims and/or blackened rims, filmed out headlights, fog lamps....
Old 10-13-2010, 01:27 PM

The reason why I am asking is that I ordered four new tires for the car 225/60/r15 and the front tires rub the front bumper. I guess I am going to have to go to 205/60/r15 on the front.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1992 525it /2004 ML350
That's odd, must be a custom front spoiler or a botched frame straightening. Yup, just go with what was on there like you figured.

Last edited by CarDriver; 10-13-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:26 PM

I am thinking maybe the car was wrecked at one time only one side of the front rubs. I had my tire shop order the 205 size tires thats what was on there, it possible could be a botched frame straightening
Old 10-13-2010, 06:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahults View Post
The reason why I am asking is that I ordered four new tires for the car 225/60/r15 and the front tires rub the front bumper. I guess I am going to have to go to 205/60/r15 on the front.

That seems weird. Could you post two pictures of both front tyres? If its convenient, of course. In any case, nothing adverse with having a better grip on the rear tyres than the front. You do have traction control?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:16 PM

tire pics

I have attached pictures of both front tires one of them is the drivers side and the one that is almost touching the bumper is the passenger side. The car does not look like it has been in a collision
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1658[1].jpg
Views:	46
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	250365   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1656[1].jpg
Views:	48
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	250366  
Old 10-15-2010, 09:24 PM

I think I found my problem for the front tires being out of wack I think my thrust arms are worn out. that is why the tire is moving more to the bumper I think the bushing is shot, anyone else had trouble with this?
Old 10-16-2010, 01:03 AM
Banned

I'm not sure buddy, but look this is easily figured out. Take a tape measure and measure the length of the car on both the left and the right sides from the bumper to the front door. If they are exactly the same, then it's not a botched repair to the fender. In any case, I'm not sure but it doesn't sound like worn bushings should cause forward movement of the wheel.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:16 AM

what would worn bushings cause the car to do? I even put the smaller size tires on the car and it still rubs, I'll try the measurements you suggested and let you know it's just kind of a weird problem
Old 10-16-2010, 05:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahults View Post
what would worn bushings cause the car to do? I even put the smaller size tires on the car and it still rubs, I'll try the measurements you suggested and let you know it's just kind of a weird problem
Worn bushings will cause vibration at speed and will cause harder than normal jolts over humps and bumps etc. Worn suspension bushings and ball joints can also cause erratic behaviour in your steering, and left/right drifts. Cornering will be poor and the car just wont feel as planted as it should.

You may have major problems on your end actually, my friend. If it was the fender, you would likely have been able to tell just by casual observation...it would just look off. Please check your shock absorber mounts (otherwise known as bearings) and your wheelhouses (you need to pop the bonnet to view these. At worst, your caster and kingpin angles for the right shock absorber are wrong, this could be due to bad accident repair and will not be too straightforward to fix (I'm working on that with my own car now myself). All this is of course just a worst case scenario. Your best case scenario would be busted shock absorber mounts, its the cheapest thing of all the possibilities to fix (but not easily done by any means).
Old 10-16-2010, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 540i V8 Auto Trans.
You should look into any worn front end components first for safety sake but... I have had the entire front clip off of my car several times and it can be adjusted. If the car has been worked on before you will find that lazy ill-trained mechanics will do some make shift, miss aligned stuff under their.
You just would not believe what I went through recently while trying to resolve a similar problem on my son's 318ti.

1995 E34 BMW 540iA M60 V8 Auto Trans.
668 Schwartz II Black II Standard Black 51 91 1 052 171
Old 10-16-2010, 06:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes95540i View Post
You just would not believe what I went through recently while trying to resolve a similar problem on my son's 318ti.
If the retelling of this tale will not cause you to vomit blood all over again please do tell. We may all have to be armed with such knowledge to better detect and avoid such clowns.

Somebody should start a website for reliable, honest and competent indy workshops which have reasonable pricing and don't force people to go back and forth back and forth to fix problems that should have been caught the first time. It should be amazon-like, where people can leave comments and such, or maybe like ebay where there's a rating system. Over time, this will weed out the idiots and help those who deserve it to prosper as they rightfully deserve...how many mechanics who work on bmws actually make enough to own one themselves? Even if it takes ten years to become sufficiently exhaustive to help consumers....well, imagine if someone had done this in the year 2000, I certainly would appreciate it now?
Old 10-17-2010, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 540i V8 Auto Trans.
Yes I'm afraid it would cause me to spew blood in 3D to recount that story. So here is the short version.
My son rear ended someone at a traffic light, no damage to the other car but my son's 318's hood folded about mid way and the front clip (this was the M series front end) was cracked & scared. The kidney trim was bent badly and all the under car stuff, brake ducts & streamlining pieces were on the ground.
I took the front end apart, straitened the hood to the best of my ability, repaired the kidney trim and with the use of a heat gun and a plastic welder I got the front end back in shape. After repainting I started the reassembly and found that it had all been installed by a fool with access to a LOT of self tapping sheet metal screws, the kind used in household duct work. Nothing lined up, none of the original clips were their and nearly every bolt hole was ripped open. It to several days to figure out how it was supposed to back together and a lot of manufacturing of small parts, brackets, etc. but I finally did get it back together and it fit's and looks better than it ever did.
One of the main things I found was that the front bumper cover was not attached to the front bumper by anything but the 4 plastic pop rivet like things so it had always bulged a little forward, not enough to notice until I mounted it back the way it was supposed to be done and the hood latches wouldn't align any longer. This got me looking around and I found the rear bumper cover was mounted the same way! It was also missing the rubber piece between the bumper cover and the body. I was lucky to have an extra one that came off of my 540i so I used that, having to trim the ends a few inches. Now all the body gaps are strait, the bumper is solid and a few annoying squeaks are gone.
Life lessen to be learned, or in my case, re-learned. Don't ever buy a car in the rain! If you can't get on the ground and crawl under the car don't buy it until you can. I knew that but it was such a good deal, HA HA! I bought it any way.

1995 E34 BMW 540iA M60 V8 Auto Trans.
668 Schwartz II Black II Standard Black 51 91 1 052 171
Old 10-18-2010, 06:34 AM

I crawled under my car and found out that the thrust arm bushings have alot of play in them. I am going to try to replace both upper and lower control arms to see if that will bring the tire back to where it is suppost to be. I read in the bentley manual and the only alignment adjustment is the toe, caster and camber is fixed by the design of the car so I am hoping it is just worn out control arms pushing my tire forward too much. My next step I guess would be the strut housing