Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
I've had the pdf file of my Configuration for over a month, but can't upload it because it's a smidge too large a file.

A peek:
Cool

I don't know about black. I feel you lose all the design with black because a lot of the accents(front/side) are black...including the black strip in the back that makes the car look sleeker/thinner. The black comes off as bloated or chubby. I noticed this once they started making the color coated bumpers. My bumpers are black. A lot of people don't like the black but the car looked slimmer. With the color coated, cars always looked fat.

This is why that black bumper line in the back that separates the two colors looks good. It makes it like they are cutting it short without having to do so. This is why the M3 looks fat and bloated. ...not sleek.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:10 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3forlife View Post
Cool

I don't know about black. I feel you lose all the design with black because a lot of the accents(front/side) are black...including the black strip in the back that makes the car look sleeker/thinner. The black comes off as bloated or chubby. I noticed this once they started making the color coated bumpers. My bumpers are black. A lot of people don't like the black but the car looked slimmer. With the color coated, cars always looked fat.

This is why that black bumper line in the back that separates the two colors looks good. It makes it like they are cutting it short without having to do so. This is why the M3 looks fat and bloated. ...not sleek.
I thought hard about the paint colour and wheels, played with it for probably 2 minutes on the Konfigurator.

The one I saw back in SC when it was unveiled was Vermillion Red. Doesn't work. The Alpinweiß (white) looks awkward in the back with the taillight design.

Titansilber is a bit.....dismal. Doesn't bring alive the character as well as other models. Mineralsilber is tempting, but I don't see myself "liking" it after a few months.

Deep Sea blue (Tiefseeblau) is decent, I'm biased towards medium blues but until I see it in person, I will reserve judgement on how it looks from the rear. This, and Saphirschwarz (sapphire black) were the only two that I didn't really object to.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I thought hard about the paint colour and wheels, played with it for probably 2 minutes on the Konfigurator.

The one I saw back in SC when it was unveiled was Vermillion Red. Doesn't work. The Alpinweiß (white) looks awkward in the back with the taillight design.

Titansilber is a bit.....dismal. Doesn't bring alive the character as well as other models. Mineralsilber is tempting, but I don't see myself "liking" it after a few months.

Deep Sea blue (Tiefseeblau) is decent, I'm biased towards medium blues but until I see it in person, I will reserve judgement on how it looks from the rear. This, and Saphirschwarz (sapphire black) were the only two that I didn't really object to.
I considered black until I saw what they did with the black in the back and front. You do get what I mean by the "fatness" right. They wanted to find a way to make the back look slimmer so they divided it with the black stripe. It works for my eyes...but not on black.

With the black bumpers 04-05, it was slim enough. It was only when they added the colored bumbers that it looked fat. Still of the old ones with the matched bumbers,, black looked the best.

My current it Titanium Silver. It is so blah. In the books and pictures it looks good but the real one is not as shiny or beautiful. maybe it needs so special wax...lol

This time I'm going to go with mineral silver. It is a new color for the X3. It looks really cool sometimes when it looks whitish silver (because the alpine white often tempts me but I worry about dirt). Sometimes though it looks a tiny bit tan. I hate tan cars. I haven't seen it in person. What color does it look like to you?

BTW, have you ordered it? If you have, I won't try to convince you. Instead I'll be supportive. LOL
Old 10-17-2010, 09:41 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Quote:
This time I'm going to go with mineral silver. It is a new color for the X3. It looks really cool sometimes when it looks whitish silver (because the alpine white often tempts me but I worry about dirt). Sometimes though it looks a tiny bit tan. I hate tan cars. I haven't seen it in person. What color does it look like to you?

BTW, have you ordered it? If you have, I won't try to convince you. Instead I'll be supportive. LOL
I have a feeling that Mineral Silver will probably be basically a whiter version of Titansilber, almost a metallic off-white.

Oh no, I don't ever intend to get the new X3. I'm done with SUVs and my '04 X3 has at least another couple of years before I sell it. Plenty of life in the thing. Next car would probably be a VW Golf diesel or a Ford Focus hatch if they don't water it down. But we know rule #1 about products sold in the US: It must be dumbed-down as much as possible to ensure success.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:16 AM

The big disappointment for me is that the F25 continues the trend of BMW no longer offering the regular sport suspension in the US market. Instead we get a sport package without suspension upgrades, and a separate and expensive suspension package with whiz-bang computer-controlled suspension with electronic adjustments. I have no problem with the availability of the electronic variable suspension but I would prefer to specifiy a regular sport suspension. We've seen this happen with the E70, F10 and now the F25.

BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 10-17-2010, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Quote:
OK. The final realistic cost estimate for me is:

$55, 991 for the 28i...a far cry from 36K.

I took the $50525 figure above and added:
1. Premium sound ($875)
2. Rear Entertainment system (2K)
3. $500 -tossed in for tags, title. other hidden

This comes out to $53,900. I took 2% off...which is what they did for me when I got an X3 before. That comes out to $52822. Next I added the 6% tax for my state ($3169)...

At 55991, we might as well say $56,000.

For my 2005 loaded the same way it was close to 50K but that didn't have heads up display, this new nice style, the dampening control, power liftgate, comfort access. Still, 19K in options and tax is too much. I'll look at it again.
An X3 for $56K?

Have you thought about an X5 instead?

Frankly they are starting to look more and more alike anyway. What I think are the newer X5's are fat and toad-like. I prefer the old boxier look. The X3 and 5's were very similar from the front before and had similar interior space although I think the X5 can take another row of tiny little seats. I would prefer a 5 over a 3 if that would mean better suspension and more cush.

Last edited by PPXYZ; 10-17-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I have a feeling that Mineral Silver will probably be basically a whiter version of Titansilber, almost a metallic off-white.

Oh no, I don't ever intend to get the new X3. I'm done with SUVs and my '04 X3 has at least another couple of years before I sell it. Plenty of life in the thing. Next car would probably be a VW Golf diesel or a Ford Focus hatch if they don't water it down. But we know rule #1 about products sold in the US: It must be dumbed-down as much as possible to ensure success.
Cool. I really would like it if it is a whiter titanium. In my mind I have flirted with white but I think I will get lazy and it would look terrible dirty...especially in the winter as they use dirt instead of salt for the roads...you never know.

There is something bland about the titanium silver in real life. maybe it needs a wax or something to look shiny. It just looks like a boring grey. Is there a special wax you guys use to make it look shiny? Eh...I won't bother. I will get the new X3...mineral silver.

I'm glad you didn't get it so I can criticize the black all I want. lol Don't get the black.

When the time comes, I will look at the Porshe Cayenne too I think. I didn't like the 60 price tag but now the X3 is getting up there too. I think I'll settle on the X3. i can't wait to see if this 3.3 inches...some of which they used for the stupid trunk makes a difference.

I liked the size of the old one. It was a perfect size...easy to drive and nimble. I hope it still feels like that.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPXYZ View Post
An X3 for $56K?

Have you thought about an X5 instead?

Frankly they are starting to look more and more alike anyway. What I think are the newer X5's are fat and toad-like. I prefer the old boxier look. The X3 and 5's were very similar from the front before and had similar interior space although I think the X5 can take another row of tiny little seats. I would prefer a 5 over a 3 if that would mean better suspension and more cush.
I'd bet the X5 loaded the same way would be $67K after taxes.

I liked the nimble feel of the X3 before. I don't need a big bulky SUV. And now the X5 is even larger.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328 (E90)
[QUOTE=X3forlife;5543183]When you hear that the 28i is losing 20HP it makes you a little nervous. Then I realized that my 2005 X3 only had 225 hp and it is just fine. So the drop down is actually an increase of 15 (from the 2005).

Most likely, in reality, the REAL horsepower numbers are about the same.

BMW has ALWAYS been coy about their real HP numbers For instance, the N52 has recently been rated at 230HP with variable cam timing on both intakes and exhausts, plus variable valve lift, all on premium fuel. RIGHT. Honda, and others with much less tech, and regular gas claim at least 240HP. My guestimate is that BMW is under-rating their engines by at least 20-30HP compared to others.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Quote:

I liked the nimble feel of the X3 before. I don't need a big bulky SUV. And now the X5 is even larger.
I had a hard time telling the two apart when shopping for the X3.

I'm wondering if there is a point where the two cross price points. A base model X5 and a more loaded X3....which is a better car?

I had a 5 series sedan which was nice and sporty and then the X3 which is awfully utilitarian.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPXYZ View Post
I had a hard time telling the two apart when shopping for the X3.

I'm wondering if there is a point where the two cross price points. A base model X5 and a more loaded X3....which is a better car?

I had a 5 series sedan which was nice and sporty and then the X3 which is awfully utilitarian.
Yeah they cross but who wants an X5 with nothing?

The options is were they kill you. It's all stupid. There should be no "premium package". All that should be standard.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
Quote:

Um...try way north of 70K fully optioned with taxes and junk fees...the cayenne is similarly priced with the way porsche puts the options together. You wouldn't want to drive a 60K cayenne...why bother, get a chevy
Old 10-18-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihumphrey View Post
Um...try way north of 70K fully optioned with taxes and junk fees...the cayenne is similarly priced with the way porsche puts the options together. You wouldn't want to drive a 60K cayenne...why bother, get a chevy
You are probably right. They tease you with a starting 46K...both of them.

I remember when the new Cayenne came out I told myself if I didn't see a "6" I might be interested...so like 59K...when I got over 6 I said just forget it because I know by the time they do taxes and then you add how much you will finally pay by financing (nobody ever talks about that ...I actually paid like 63K for the X3) would hit 70-80K.