Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-13-2010, 10:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i
Help! Codes P1421 & P1423. Already replaced alot of parts!!

Help Anyone!
I purchased a 2000 BMW 323i in April of this year...my first BMW ever!! Anwyays, the service engine light came on and I took it to a friend who has a friend who has a repair shop and the codes are P1421 & P1423. First, that guy said that it was the gas lines that needed to be vacuumed...charged me $150...fine, when he did that, he said that the air pump was bad.....he was gonna charge me $500 for that...I bought the pump online for a whole lot cheaper and took it to him..he installed it so I only paid him $325 for the labor on the pump installation and the gas line vacuumed...the light came off for 2 days and then it came back on. Called him back, he said to take it back, took it back, he said there was different code...he didnt tell me which one, he said the coooling system sensor( I cant remember exactly which sensor it was) was bad but he changed out the sensor, the housing and the thermostat..charged me another $200...........guess what, service engine soon light comes back on the next day!!!!!!!!!!!! UURRGGGHHH!!! What is going on!!!!??? I am sooo pissed off and the damn shop keeps telling me that the BMW's are too complicated and that it can be anything and that it can be anything. Can anyone think of what might be wrong with the car if the air pump, thermostat, sensor, housing has been replaced and the lines have been vacuumed?? Please help!! I have spent on this repair alone almost $600 so far. It cannot pass the smog this way and the tags expired in July and I have to keep getting the darn 1 day permits from the DMV. Thanks so much!!!!!
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2010, 01:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328Ci 2008 X5 3.0si
Putting you codes in google gets alot of hits. Check this forum, e46fanatics.com etc to get ideas on what other did to diagnose and fix their cars. (secondary air pump was some fixes, relay check, clogged hoses going to the pump, etc)

Cooling systems on e46s this old will start to have cooling system issues. Replacing the thermostat is good preventive maintenance regardless. Replacing the hoses, expansion tank as well as the dreaded water pump that likes to fail is a good idea too.

Get a scanner < $50 and look the codes up to at least see what they are before taking it in. You can also note and clear the code to see if it returns. You have no idea if the two P code mention are still returning or not.

Code lists:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=303141
http://www.my330i.com/odb2.php
http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/bmw/

Greg
Old 10-14-2010, 04:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 330Ci
This may help you troubleshoot the secondary air injection system:
http://www.bavauto.com/newsletter/20...ter.pdf#page=6
Join BMWCCA
Old 10-15-2010, 07:31 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: E46
Hi -

Sorry to hear about your experiences (and expenses!)

It's important to note that the codes you are seeing are generic OBDII codes, not BMW factory codes. This tells me that your shop is not using BMW factory capable diagnostic equipment, which can easily lead to misleading faults and unnecessary repairs.

Please have a look at the article linked in my signature titled "Peake Tool Crash Course" - you'll find more information on the topic of codes. Having the proper factory code that was programmed specifically for your car is the best place to start, and our affordable tools allow you to access these codes at your convenience.

At the very least, if you are looking to have a shop do the repairs, find one that uses equipment capable of reading the factory faults.

Best of luck!

Ken
Old 10-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaz323i View Post
Help Anyone!
I purchased a 2000 BMW 323i in April of this year...my first BMW ever!! Anwyays, the service engine light came on and I took it to a friend who has a friend who has a repair shop and the codes are P1421 & P1423. First, that guy said that it was the gas lines that needed to be vacuumed...charged me $150...fine, when he did that, he said that the air pump was bad.....he was gonna charge me $500 for that...I bought the pump online for a whole lot cheaper and took it to him..he installed it so I only paid him $325 for the labor on the pump installation and the gas line vacuumed...the light came off for 2 days and then it came back on. Called him back, he said to take it back, took it back, he said there was different code...he didnt tell me which one, he said the coooling system sensor( I cant remember exactly which sensor it was) was bad but he changed out the sensor, the housing and the thermostat..charged me another $200...........guess what, service engine soon light comes back on the next day!!!!!!!!!!!! UURRGGGHHH!!! What is going on!!!!??? I am sooo pissed off and the damn shop keeps telling me that the BMW's are too complicated and that it can be anything and that it can be anything. Can anyone think of what might be wrong with the car if the air pump, thermostat, sensor, housing has been replaced and the lines have been vacuumed?? Please help!! I have spent on this repair alone almost $600 so far. It cannot pass the smog this way and the tags expired in July and I have to keep getting the darn 1 day permits from the DMV. Thanks so much!!!!!

I suggest you switch shops right away and take it to someone competent and more experienced with these cars. They are not complicated, they just require the correct knowledge which this mehcanic obviously doesn't have.

08' E90 335i, Sport, Premium, Logic 7, 6-spd
01' 330i TiAG, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, 5spd - R.I.P 04/12- gone but not forgotten.