Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 07-19-2014, 12:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
L.A. Times loves 535d compared to A6 TDI and E250 Bluetech

http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...719-story.html

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 07-21-2014, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Nice article!

But comparing the E250 BT diesel against the 535d and A6 TDI is not fair as the E250 BT diesel is more like a 328d comparison as it is in the 4 cylinder category...
Old 07-21-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_X5 View Post
Nice article!

But comparing the E250 BT diesel against the 535d and A6 TDI is not fair as the E250 BT diesel is more like a 328d comparison as it is in the 4 cylinder category...

I thought the same thing when I read it. On the other hand the prices as equipped were pretty much the same. Sure does make that mid 40s 328d seem like a bargain when the E250 Bluetech is running in the 60s. My wife suggested I look at that E250 but I told her I would rather leave 30k in the market than piss it away on something that dull to drive.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:13 PM

I thought the same thing when I read the article. On the other hand the prices as equipped were pretty much the same. Sure does make that mid 40s 328d seem like a bargain when the E250 Bluetech is running in the 60s.

This whole concept of car class has always seemed fabricated to me anyway and does not represent how I or anyone I know shops for cars.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:42 PM

sorry for the duplicate post. my iphone bimmerfest client does some weird stuff from time to time including, in this case, telling me something my first reply had been rejected

Old 07-24-2014, 06:01 AM
Waiting for the d

Mein Auto: '10 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_X5 View Post
Nice article!

But that's Daimler's fault for being cheap bastards and only importing a 4 banger diesel in their mid range sedan...

'10 335d Monaco blue/oyster/SP/PP/Enhanced Premium Sound/nav from phillipek SBBMW
Click Here for Pics!
Old 07-24-2014, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
Interestingly enough, my 2005 E320 CDI, which had the venerable inline 6 single turbo diesel, had the same amount of torque as the 4-banger: 369 ft lbs. Less HP in the 4 cylinder gives up about a second in acceleration.

PL
Old 07-24-2014, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328xd
Mercedes-Benz made a good call in putting the four-cylinder diesel in E250 Bluetech, it has a great record in Europe, does not give up much performance to the competition, and has a notable fuel economy advantage. Making a harder-working four rather than a lazy six also means that the engine will be more appropriately stressed in operation, leading to better lifespan and reduced chances of carbon buildup. With current emissions controls, letting a larger engine loaf in American driving conditions holds a risk of long term reliability problems.

That said, the A6 TDI is my pick out of this group for the best overall vehicle, followed by the more traditional E250 Bluetech. The F10 is just less involving and fussier than the Audi and the Benz, and a less attractive long term ownership proposition.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
But that's Daimler's fault for being cheap bastards and only importing a 4 banger diesel in their mid range sedan...
Funny you should say this. I believe they make plenty of expensive machinery and would love for you to buy them. I call it unobtanium, ha ha.