Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:40 PM

Mein Auto: Infiniti
All Season Tires

I just took delivery of a 2011 SAV with the 20 inch Y wheels/staggered configuration. Does anyone have a comment about the Continental Extreme Contact DWS VS the Michelin Latitude Tour HP.
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
What are you looking to accomplish? Are you going to get rid of your summer rubber for all season rubber?
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 10-14-2010, 09:50 PM

Mein Auto: Infiniti
All Season Tires

Yes.....
Old 10-15-2010, 12:53 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.0d M pack
I considered doing the same, but my local tyre dealer showed me the prices for doing that,
and for an extra 200 euros I ended up ordering 18 inch wheels with Continental winter tyres (RFTs)

gives me the oppurtunity to change back to Summers over any given weekend, and to have the summer rims re-dressed (I have some minor nicks)

I stayed RFTs although I now have a spare in the trunk, to allow me to decide where, and when, to swap out a flat (safety zone)

2010 X5 30d M Sport pack on 20 inch
In Space Grey, Panoramic roof, auto tailgate,
Privacy Glass, Comfort seats in Black?
Rear view camera

Last edited by Marlbro; 10-15-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Personally I would keep the 214's and get a set of winter rims/rubber. Now you will have an excellent combination and not have to worry about it.
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 10-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
Personally I would keep the 214's and get a set of winter rims/rubber. Now you will have an excellent combination and not have to worry about it.
+1. 20" wide all-season tires won't help you very much.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:15 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
+2. If you own the car for any length of time, you are going to replace the rubber anyway. No more expensive to buy a set of winter tires mounted on 18" winter wheels than to replace the summer RFT's. (If you don't believe me, check out the price of those 20" tires on the Tire Rack- especially if your X5 came with the Dunlops).

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 11-08-2012, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: x3,x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
+1. 20" wide all-season tires won't help you very much.

Based upon personal experience, or a guess?

Has anyone actually been running the 20 all seasons in the snow and have some real feedback?
Old 11-08-2012, 09:16 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinkinfo View Post

Has anyone actually been running the 20 all seasons in the snow and have some real feedback?
SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND. The E70 was introduced in 2006 as a 2007 model, and this topic has been discussed many, many, many times over the past 6 years. If you take the time to search, you will get the REAL WORLD experience of dozens of 'Festers.

If you just ask a question that has been answered many times before, you won't.

Current BMW's:
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 11-08-2012, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 imola red 740i Sport
VERY different tires. One is a UHP and the other a Touring. Either way, the DWS is rated higher in the snow. I may the switch from UHP Summer to UHP all season and it helped. On all wheel drive vehicles I have never seen the need for dedicated snows in the climate I am in. Rear wheel is a different story. I am in a possition that is the weather is so bad that my all seasons won't cut it, I don't need to go out in it. If I wasn't, I would go the winter tire route. They are vastly superior in the snow and ice. All season = performance in all seasons is not what it could be. They are a compromise.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND. The E70 was introduced in 2006 as a 2007 model, and this topic has been discussed many, many, many times over the past 6 years. If you take the time to search, you will get the REAL WORLD experience of dozens of 'Festers.

If you just ask a question that has been answered many times before, you won't.
Seriously? Where do you think all these threads came out of? Hum......the search button. Yet, most seem to end the same, no one actually trying them.

If you can actually point to an all season conversation where people talk about using them on the 20 inch setup in snow please, help and point me, I don't see them. All I seem to find is the constant 'don't do it, get snow tires on smaller rims' opinion.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 imola red 740i Sport
Quote:
Seriously? Where do you think all these threads came out of? Hum......the search button. Yet, most seem to end the same, no one actually trying them.

If you can actually point to an all season conversation where people talk about using them on the 20 inch setup in snow please, help and point me, I don't see them. All I seem to find is the constant 'don't do it, get snow tires on smaller rims' opinion.
It was indeed hard to find many threads where people did not go the two set route and actually drove a 275/315 DWS in the snow. I did find a couple of posts such as #38 (I think that was the post number) here:

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...=453489&page=2

And here post 3

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...nter-snow.html

DWS's are terrific tires. Will they be as good as 275/315 snows, no. Will 275/315 snows be better then a narrower set of snows, no. But any of those options is going to be better then Summer UHP tires.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: CT
Here is the link to the Conti DWS review that was done by Tire Rack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Yo1sudvLNNQ
Old 11-08-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdorman View Post
It was indeed hard to find many threads where people did not go the two set route and actually drove a 275/315 DWS in the snow. I did find a couple of posts such as #38 (I think that was the post number) here:

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...=453489&page=2

And here post 3

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...nter-snow.html

DWS's are terrific tires. Will they be as good as 275/315 snows, no. Will 275/315 snows be better then a narrower set of snows, no. But any of those options is going to be better then Summer UHP tires.

Thanks so much for the links. That's really what I've been hunting for, actual practical knowledge of the real word trade-offs specifically on the 275/315's. Of course winters are better in snow, of course narrow is better...but how passable are the all season models. There are a few other DWS reviews, seems harder to find people using latitudes on the 20s.

For some, the changeover hassle and storage required may not be worth the benefit if they can realistically still get home that rare snowstorm night on all seasons. I live in that borderline region, not enough snow to be constantly concerned, but enough to make sure I'll be able to move.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:06 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
There IS a guy frm DC selling his (almost new) DWS's on this forum for $600+ shipping.

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Old 11-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:

Everyone's definition of "passable" or "acceptable" handling is different.

The X3 non-sport models came with Pirelli Scorpion All-seasons that actually were pretty good for most drivers. And if you don't drive out when there's more than 30cm of snow, it may never matter. All-seasons will probably get you to work if you drive slowly and life doesn't throw a situation where an emergency stop is needed.

But for me, control is critical. I want to be able to maximise the potential of DSC and ABS to stop in the shortest distance possible, as stable as possible. I want to be able to bring the vehicle back under control quickly should things start to go wrong. I reduce speed to appropriate levels in inclement weather, but I don't want to be crawling. And most of all, I want to be able to not worry about the car's dynamics; I love it when I can have fun in the snow, drift it around corners with ease, and then bring it all back together easily, no mess. Because the point of a vehicle is not just to get from A to B.

I've driven both the X3 and X5 (18" stock M+S) in the snow where I tried to have some fun. It's difficult. Slides and skid happen suddenly, braking distances are longer, and it is so much harder to bring the vehicle back into line- careening towards a mailbox at a 60 angle in spite of full lock countersteer and feathering the throttle is not amusing even if I can bring it back- just more work, less control.

It sounds like hooliganism but there's situations where stuff happens. Once on the way down from Snowshoe WV in the X3, driving conditions were poor and I was taking it slow, about 40-50km/h tops. Around a blind curve, came a slowplow truck that was slightly in my line. When I lifted off midcorner, the rear end came around and the X3 went off the road......towards a cliff/trees and other unpleasant things to hit. Remembering the track/driver training, I looked back towards the road, ignoring the stone drainage ditch and cliff, hit the throttle and countersteered, bringing the X3 uneventfully back onto the road (okay, my mother screamed and I'm sure I raised a few eyebrows from the plow driver and other driver behind). Given the level of control I had with the winter tires and zero margin for error, I never had to panic, or think twice. Did the tires make a difference? Absolutely.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:

The Conti's are a fantastic tire on dry and wet pavement. They are, like any other all season tire, completely useless in any real snow.

I run 20'' DWS's for my summer set up and got caught last winter dragging my ass getting the winters put back on. One day of driving in real snow was more than enough to remind me how terrible all season tires are in true snow conditions versus proper winters.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 11-08-2012, 08:17 PM

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-08-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
There are a few other DWS reviews, seems harder to find people using latitudes on the 20s.
I ran the Latitudes in the snow a few weeks ago, they were fine. Personally I've never had any issues with a wider tire in the snow, not a big fan of the pizza cutter setup myself.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
LOL - I guess those IDIOTS over at Tire Rack and others were pretty much all idiots, huh?
What was the point of that video? That the DWS were the best of the all seasons? Big freakin' deal. To quote you:

Quote:
Granted TRUE winter tires are ALWAYS going to be better
Quote:
but 90% of us live in areas where use of studded winter tires is impractical and quite honestly, well...Stupid.
First of all, who ever mentioned anything about studded tires???

Second, maybe have a look at where the OP is posting from. Since you clearly have no clue what you're talking about in regards to mountain driving and true snow, maybe have a quick look at the weather network and see what Colorado actually gets.

Quote:
There are many of us that need and LIKE using all-weather tires on our SUVs to head up to the mountains to do a bit of skiing when the weather here at the foothills is 50 degrees and not a spot of snow anywhere to be seen. Yet, we drive less than 2 hours away and can easily be in a foot of snow. So far, all season tires have worked VERY WELL on my wife's Highlander Hybrid (225/65-17s). Now granted, those are CONSIDERABLY more narrow than are these new DWSs on my X5 and I WILL be careful my first days in foot-deep snow when I am in SnowShoe, WV but I'll be a LOT happier with the 5.5 hour ride up to that particular ski resort.
And it's exactly jackasses like yourself that make my daily drive less safe because you are unwilling to properly equip your vehicle for the conditions that you are going to encounter for "less than 2 hours" each way.

Guess what Einstein. I live in one of the most beautiful and popular ski resorts in the world.....and guess how many times I see vehicles in the ditch, sliding all over the place, or doing 60 km/h on the highway 'cause they can't control their vehicle safely. Proper equipment and some patience in the snow would go a long way to making things safer for everyone.

Quote:
Just give us time, someone here will provide feedback on how effective they actually are.
Do you actually have the 20" DWS set up that the OP specifically asked for feedback regarding???

As I stated earlier....I DO....so whether you like it or not, my feedback is absolutely relevant to the topic.

Don't like it....you know where the door is.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 11-10-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
The Conti's are a fantastic tire on dry and wet pavement. They are, like any other all season tire, completely useless in any real snow.

I run 20'' DWS's for my summer set up and got caught last winter dragging my ass getting the winters put back on. One day of driving in real snow was more than enough to remind me how terrible all season tires are in true snow conditions versus proper winters.
I think your location in Canada probably puts you in a different snow/temp category then most of us, and rightfully so!

However, if anyone else is interested, I've been searching other forums as well to find real feedback on the 20 inch staggered setup (or similar widths on other makes/models). it's tough to find. But what i have found is that contrary to many of the comments and postings from folks not actually running the setup, the folks who have been truely running the DWS or latitudes on the 20 inch setup are reporting that they are completely capable in the snow. There are a couple reporting driving through blizzard conditions without issue on the DWS's. I also found one other individual running toyo proxes, he also indicated he was good in the snow, but there are far more people using the DWS's. If I recall, most people were living in the north east.

Take it for what it's worth, its all people talking on the internet.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:24 PM

I did delete my original post about 10 minutes after I posted it primarily because I realized it wasn't worth it. However, since you dragged it back out...

Quote:
What was the point of that video? That the DWS were the best of the all seasons? Big freakin' deal.
YES

Quote:
And it's exactly jackasses like yourself that make my daily drive less safe because you are unwilling to properly equip your vehicle for the conditions that you are going to encounter for "less than 2 hours" each way....blah, blah, blah.....Proper equipment and some patience in the snow would go a long way to making things safer for everyone.
I've NEVER been in a car accident driving in the snow & have skied in almost EVERY resort in CO as well as in Germany, Austria, etc so DO understand and agree that winter tires may be ESSENTIAL for a few select locations with conditions like: zero-degrees for extended periods, 3 feet of snow on the daily basis with no street cleaning equipment, etc. However, you appear to be SO single-minded that you do not appear to even fathom the "possibility" that most of us do not live in those conditions. All-Season tires are EXCEPTIONALLY well suited for many of us who live in a different environment than you. In this area it hardly ever gets under 20-degrees Fahrenheit (even in the mountains) so the all-weather tires tend to do a very good job at gripping the show and pavement in the temperatures that are common for THIS area. Resorts tend to have snow removal trucks anytime there is any more than 6 inches of snow on the road and those of us who DO ski a lot also typically bring snow chains of some type (I use SCC cables myself) in the event that the resorts REQUIRE chains to get up (and down) the mountain.

Quote:
Do you actually have the 20" DWS set up that the OP specifically asked for feedback regarding???
YES, of COURSE I do. Dedicated snow tires would wear out quickly in the 40-50 degree temps that exist for 90% of the time here in the foothills which would make them even further impractical. Who went and made you the SNOW POLICE? Will it bother me if he buys a different tire? Not in the LEAST. Is it REALLY going to make you THAT upset if this guy buys and (heaven forbid) actually USES a set of DWS tires based on a preponderance of positive online replies? This is the internet and like it or not, there are a LOT of opinions and guess what, they may not be the same as yours.

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-13-2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: toned my reply down a bit
Old 11-13-2012, 10:51 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Someone needs some cranberry juice.....

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp

Current BMW's:

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 11-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
UTIs are a bitch, eh?

Old 11-13-2012, 01:16 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Do yourself a HUGE favor and watch The Departed this weekend.

Cranberry juice: its not just for UTI's any more.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp

Current BMW's:

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic